Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2005 1:19:23 AM EDT
U.S. gang membership may be higher than reported
By Kevin Johnson, USA TODAY
8/3/2005
www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-08-03-gangs-under-estimated_x.htm
WASHINGTON — A recent Justice Department report on the threat posed by gangs underestimated the number of gang members nationwide because thousands of police agencies refused to provide information about their jurisdictions.
The surprising lack of cooperation by police agencies means the Justice Department's estimate of more than 700,000 gang members nationwide could be too low by at least 200,000, said Patrick Word, vice chairman of the Mid-Atlantic Regional Gang Investigators Network, a group that helps collect data for the Justice Department.

Nearly 20,000 state and local police agencies were contacted to participate in the National Gang Threat Assessment report, but only 455 provided information, said a federal law enforcement official who asked not to be identified to avoid future conflicts with local police in obtaining information. The report did not specify which agencies did not participate, so they could not be contacted for comment.

Many agencies have little contact with gangs. But Word said some withheld information on gangs out of concern that it could alarm the public.

Wes McBride, president of the California Association of Gang Investigators, another data reporting group, said other departments believed that police should not have to disclose sensitive information about potential threats involving gangs.

"A lot of this (reluctance to cooperate) is coming from elected officials who aresaying, 'We don't want to get our citizens running scared,' " Word said.

McBride, who helped supervise the data collection, said he stopped calling agencies after at least 20 repeatedly refused to provide details about gang membership and activity.

He called them and many others after initial requestsby the data collectors were unsuccessful.

The gang report tries to identify public safety risks in each region.

The periodic report — this year's was the first since 2002 — has drawn scrutiny as the U.S. government and first lady Laura Bush have cited what the report describes as a dangerous escalation in gang membership and violence.

Justice Department officials who oversee the report were not available to comment.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:27:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I bet its 100 times that with all the youth that emulate bangers and idiolize these losers.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:02:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:37:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I wonder how they define a gang?

Could Arfcom be a gang?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:44:17 AM EDT
[#4]
once read the Tx definition and figured it would cover most Deer Camps.  Things like more than 3 people, "colors" (camo), engaged in drug related activities (beer)...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:27:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Basically three or more people with a common identifying feature who gather for the purposes of furthering the criminal interests of the group.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:53:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Basically three or more people with a common identifying feature who gather for the purposes of furthering the criminal interests of the group.

So if we have 3 guys in fraternity  t- shirts out teepeeing a sorority house, we call out the gang taskforce?

I'm not trying to troll here, I just think that the definition is too broad.  Before you say that you have to use your judgement, remember, jumping to conclusions, is quickly overtaking baseball as our national pastime.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:58:11 AM EDT
[#7]

"A lot of this (reluctance to cooperate) is coming from elected officials who aresaying, 'We don't want to get our citizens running scared,' " Word said.

Yeah heaven forbid citizens ask elected officials to get off their asses and do something about the problem.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:03:07 AM EDT
[#8]
The gangs have been pretty been with us for a number of years, remember the musical West Side Story? We've got the Mexicans, the Peurto Ricans, the Chinese, the Japanese, etc. So what else is new?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:09:19 AM EDT
[#9]

It's not politically-correct to identify gang-members because that would necessitate "profiling" them - seeing as the vast majority of all gang-members are members of racial minorites.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:13:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Well just remember, if the government trusts you to CCW, carry your gangmember repelant with you wherever you go....
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:17:39 AM EDT
[#11]
So why don’t we just mark them as urban terrorist. That way the office of homeland security would half to do something about it. I would bet that the yearly number of victims of gang crimes would out number or at least match that of the 9/11 attack.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:00:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
So why don’t we just mark them as urban terrorist. That way the office of homeland security would half to do something about it. I would bet that the yearly number of victims of gang crimes would out number or at least match that of the 9/11 attack.

I bet you'd be right on that too. The last 4 homicides we had here were gang related(our homicide rate is double what it was all of last year).
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:19:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It's not politically-correct to identify gang-members because that would necessitate "profiling" them - seeing as the vast majority of all gang-members are members of racial minorites.

And "if" any of them are illegals they are not allowed to even look at them

did anyone hear that the London terrorists were illegals on welfare? Just like our illegals are.........
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:39:04 PM EDT
[#14]
We are not a gang, we are a CLUB!  

Quoted:
Could Arfcom be a gang?

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Could Arfcom be a gang?

Group buy on sleeveless leather jackets with Arfcom logo
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#16]
And about 90% of prison population are gang members.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:47:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Yup, America is starting to look more and more like Mexico and those shit hole South American countries...

But you still back George Bush and by extension his policies of "one western hemishpere nation" dissapearing borders and massive latino immigration of course...

Hell he and all his cronies live in private gated communities so what do they care...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#18]
"why won't those idiots let me into their stupid club for jerks?"

[/homer]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Yup, America is starting to look more and more like Mexico and those shit hole South American countries...

But you still back George Bush and by extension his policies of "one western hemishpere nation" dissapearing borders and massive latino immigration of course...

Hell he and all his cronies live in private gated communities so what do they care...

I wouldn't back him in a penny pitching contest anymore...............
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:54:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Could Arfcom be a gang?

"It's not a gang, it's a club"
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Could Arfcom be a gang?

"It's not a gang, it's a club"

Gangs have alot in common with clubs.  Infact gangs have things in common with Girl scouts.

Girl Scouts:
Wear a uniform or have a code to identify them
Are in a certain area/turf : you cant buy girlscout cookies just anywhere...only in their turff.
etc etc etc....

gangs:
same as above + break laws.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:33:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I need more ammo.

Hmmmm.......possible sig line material
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Could Arfcom be a gang?

Group buy on sleeveless leather jackets with Arfcom logo

You might get TRG to go for a group buy on crotchless leather chaps. I dunno about the jackets th ough.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:44:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:49:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Yup, they are urban terrorists.  Not the suicidal variety though.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:54:22 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I need more ammo.

Hmmmm.......possible sig line material

use it...........

Might as well put it in, at least for now

which button do I push to enter a sig line, can't find it anywhere
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:59:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Like Gore or Kerry would have gotten tough.......
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:35:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like Gore or Kerry would have gotten tough.......

They might have at least faked it, because they make most of their policies based on polls
and, I bet their latest polls show most of the US is pissed off at the illegal invasion.......
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:27:30 AM EDT
[#30]
I consider criminals terrorist in a way.

Gangs are terrorist, urban terrorist.  
Maybe the government should lable them that  Any crime commited by gang mambers be labled as acts of terror from terrorist.
I'm sure that will help control the gang population.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:58:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Politicians are reluctant to admit gang problems becuase it cast negative light on their community. There is also a certain institutionalized racism in gang enforcment. Too many gang cops see every brown kid with a raiders jersey and a shaved head as a "banger" but never consider groups of white youths in the same light.

I remember a high profile case in Orange County where a group of white middle class teens adopted a 1950's style dress and gathered every weekend to crash parties and start fights.  The trial was interesting in that the DA had to go to great lengths to get the gang enhancement as the well to do parents of the suspects argued their sons were in a "car club" or "
party crew" rather than a gang.

I currently have issues with my agencies gang unit which refuses to handle skinhead related gang crimes, but will respond to any nearly any crime involving young latinos.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:08:55 AM EDT
[#32]
So, close to a million gang members in the US?

There are still more lawful gun owners.  And we can shoot better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top