Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 7:37:50 PM EDT
Can you say "October Surprise" boys & girls? Can you say "Landslide"?  I knew that you could!!!

www.apnews.myway.com/article/20040904/D84T2OUO0.html

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (AP) - The United States and its allies have moved closer to capturing Osama bin Laden in the last two months, a top U.S. counterterrorism official said in a television interview broadcast Saturday.

"If he has a watch, he should be looking at it because the clock is ticking. He will be caught,"
Joseph Cofer Black, the U.S. State Department coordinator for counterterrorism, told private Geo television network.

Asked if concrete progress had been made during the last two months - when Pakistan has arrested dozens of terror suspects including some key al-Qaida operatives - Black said, "Yes, I would say this."

Black, who briefed a group of Pakistani journalists after talks with officials here Friday, said he could not predict exactly when bin Laden and other top al-Qaida fugitives would be nabbed.

"What I tell people, I would be surprised but not necessarily shocked if we wake up tomorrow and he's been caught along with all his lieutenants. That can happen because of the programs and infrastructure in place," he told Geo.

Bin Laden and his top associate, Ayman al-Zawahri, are believed to be hiding some place along the rugged border between Pakistan and Afghanistan. Officials have divulged no solid intelligence about bin Laden's precise whereabouts, and it's not clear if they have any.

Pakistan is a key ally of the United States in its war on terror, and Black's visit comes weeks after Pakistani security forces captured Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani, a Tanzanian wanted for the 1998 U.S. embassy bombings in east Africa, and Mohammed Naeem Noor Khan, a Pakistani computer expert allegedly linked to al-Qaida operatives around the world.

The arrests led to a terror warning in the United States, and arrests in Britain and the United Arab Emirates.

Black attended a meeting of the Pakistan-U.S. Joint Working Group on Counterterrorism and Law Enforcement in Islamabad on Thursday and Friday.

During the talks, Pakistan asked U.S. officials for more helicopters, surveillance and communications equipment to help Pakistani forces guard border areas near Afghanistan "more efficiently," a Pakistani official at the talks said.

"We got a positive response from the American officials," said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Pakistan has deployed about 70,000 troops along the Afghan border and conducted several military operations this year in its lawless and largely autonomous tribal regions against al-Qaida suspects and their local supporters.

Black hailed Pakistan's efforts in counterterrorism - despite criticism from Western officials who say that elements of the former ruling Taliban regime in Afghanistan still operate inside Pakistan.

"In terms of national programs and effectiveness, I would put Pakistan up against anyone else ... If you look at the arrests they have made, the information they have developed and the lives that have been saved, Pakistan is doing a great job," he said.

He added, however, that, "you can always do more."

... and most importantly, can you say JUSTICE!!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:39:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I lahk the way yew sed that.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:42:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope so, not only because I want the terrorist scumbag locked up in a smelly sewer, but also because I want to see Kerry and the rest of them completely FLIP OUT!

THAT will be a popcorn moment, let me tell ya!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:43:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I want to see this bastard caught, but I somewhat fear a capture between now and the election might be used against us, as much as for us. I mean we'll all hear the crying that this was in the plan from the start and that the republicans are using it to boost their support and draw attention away from other issues. The sad thing is, lots of people will believe it. So would a capture this close to the election help Bush or hurt Bush? I think it would probably help more than it would hurt, but you never know how something like that could be played. Either way, I want to see that sorry bastard captured or killed.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#6]
YOu have no idea how bad the lefties are going to freak out.

Their tinfoil hat theory for the past year and a half has been "Osama is going to get caught right before the election... THEY KNOW WHERE HE IS... they are just waiting to get Bush re-elected! "  etc. + more whining.

It is a completely bogus theory...  but who said the left was reasonable?

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:49:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:56:28 PM EDT
[#8]
The Left is in a box concerning the potential capture of Osama bin Laden.

They will actually be forced to complain that we've caught OBL. Up will be down, cold-hot, day-night, and insanity-mainstream when the screaming heads are compelled to pitch a bitch that the WOT has been TOO EFFECTIVE!

Sane & reasonable folks will cheer the event & the Leftists will have no choice but to float all sorts of far-out conspiracy theories, marginalizing themselves even further!

Trust me guys, this is a win-win situation!!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:34:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I sure hope so.  Just hope he is found dead, any attempt at a trial will wind up with a embarrasing circus.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:36:42 AM EDT
[#10]
dupe
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:38:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I wholeheartedly agree.  Dead only, Please.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:48:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:51:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So if he is catured do we declare a WIN on the WOT and stop with iraq?

mike

No, because first we have to wrap up his sons and the rest of his followers.  Then it would depend on how the rest of the Islamic world reacted to his death.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:55:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:01:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:08:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:09:03 AM EDT
[#17]
dupe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top