Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/21/2013 5:49:30 PM EDT
US Post Office cuts threaten source of black jobs

Wow, cutting waste and unneeded jobs is racist too.  

African-Americans represent 13.1 percent of the U.S. population and 11.6 percent of the labor force, according to a 2012 U.S. Department of Labor report. Nearly one in five African-American workers hold government jobs such as mail clerks, firefighters and teachers, the report said.

"There's a long tradition of the public sector being more friendly, or less hostile, to African-American workers," said Robert Zieger, emeritus professor of history at the University of Florida in Gainesville. "The Post Office is the best example."

African-Americans make up about 20 percent of U.S. Postal Service workers - and are the majority in some urban centers, representing 75 percent to 80 percent of the 5,000 letter carriers in the Chicago area, according to Mack Julion, president of the Chicago branch of the National Association of Letter Carriers.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#1]
If being friendly means being forced to hire you with affirmative action, they're probably not your real friends. How is that diversity in Chicago?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#2]

The U.S. government runs its services as a political patronage system? Who knew?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If being friendly means being forced to hire you with affirmative action, they're probably not your real friends. How is that diversity in Chicago?

Are you fucking kidding? When someone gives you a solid job, that's you'll have forever nearly regardless of performance, with good pay and great benefits, he's your friend.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#4]
But that racist
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:04:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
But that racist

Life is hard when you aren't good at basketball or rap music.

Boo fucking hoo.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:04:26 PM EDT
[#6]
What they forgot to mention in the article is they are eliminating the jobs through attrition - not hiring new people to replace those who quit or retire.
Every USPS contract has a no layoff clause - what they're really pissed about is that they may have to move around - work in a different building, a different schedule, or a different job within the USPS.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:05:38 PM EDT
[#7]
As long as they fire the one white guy first, they will be fine
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

yep
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:06:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I think TSA is still hiring so that should even it out.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Not to be racist...but that could only help the poor USPS....
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#11]
That's a solution, not a problem.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#12]
The government came to the conclusion that you can either pay out welfare checks to people that didn't work, or you could hire those folks to do something productive and get something out of 'em.  I understand the intent.

I won't comment further.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep

Always
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't worry.  Jobs are so plentiful thanks to the President that 98% of black people voted for, it's not big deal.  They'll be able to find work elsewhere no problem.

Besides, the USPS isn't make work program.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#16]
America is racist!

All the oppressed Blacks should move to Africa to avoid Whitey's EVIL Racism.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:15:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Three things you cant give a black man....A black eye, a fat lip, and a Job----Ashton Kutcher
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't give a fuck.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:17:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Where does it states on the application for federal employment what race you voluntarily call yourself? I know the post office is odd but they have to follow federal regulations I would assume.

I've only worked for two of the 26 some-odd federal agencies but the form is likely the same on all of them. I have been on more than a dozen hiring boards and looked over likely a 1000 resumes. Never ONCE did I see an application or resume that included the race of the person. Skills, talents, abilities, past work history, military veteran's status, disable veteran's status, education, certifications and security clearance yes, race, age, sex, national origin no. Nature of their disability, no.

I'd love to see someone point out to me a federal job application where you claim your race, age, sex, religion, skin color, national origin, or nature of your disability.

After you're hired there is an HR follow up where you get voluntary forms that you can leave blank or fill in to record those details but those get shipped to the equal opportunity office for the bean counters. I have never been questions about who I've hired, nor told who to hire, nor been told to hire more of any specific looking people!

Seriously?

If you can't tell race by someones phonetically spelled first name - that is a different kind of special
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#20]
That's pathetic.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Does this mean my packages will stop being rifled through?

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I can remember when the two little old white ladies that used to work in our local post office were fast, efficient and friendly.  Now we have a bunch of affirmative action hires and the local post office is slow, they screw up all manor of stuff and they always act like you're disturbing their breaks (which they'll take sitting exactly on schedule, at the counter while folks wait in line).  The branch manger sits in his office adjacent to the lobby area talking to his friends on his phone instead of doing any actual work.  This is just the office drones, the local drivers are always on their cell phones, drive like maniacs and manage to do a reasonable facsimile of Cliff Clavin when delivering mail.  

They are the epitome of sloth and government unions run amok and yet they complain bitterly about the prospect of any cuts and blame the post offices problems on the internet.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I hope so. I'm tired of wasting time reordering checks.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:25:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm suing for 'scrimination!

Unequal representation in postal work force!

Whitey is finally gonna get paid!!

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#26]
They got MLK day, what else do they want?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
US Post Office cuts threaten source of black jobs

Wow, cutting waste and unneeded jobs is racist too.  

African-Americans represent 13.1 percent of the U.S. population and 11.6 percent of the labor force, according to a 2012 U.S. Department of Labor report. Nearly one in five African-American workers hold government jobs such as mail clerks, firefighters and teachers, the report said.

"There's a long tradition of the public sector being more friendly, or less hostile, to African-American workers," said Robert Zieger, emeritus professor of history at the University of Florida in Gainesville. "The Post Office is the best example."

African-Americans make up about 20 percent of U.S. Postal Service workers - and are the majority in some urban centers, representing 75 percent to 80 percent of the 5,000 letter carriers in the Chicago area, according to Mack Julion, president of the Chicago branch of the National Association of Letter Carriers.

Not in my Post Office.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:30:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The other 364 days in the year.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:30:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:31:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a black friend. He doesn't work for USPS though, so it's not relevant to this conversation at all.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#34]
You mean like the drunk guy that "works" with my friend here in Atlanta. He shows up drunk climbs in a truck and sleeps for about $25 an hour plus a very strong benefits package. The union works hard at keeping him on the payroll. I wonder how you lose money with a successful plan like that .

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:43:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:45:43 PM EDT
[#36]
This is a fascinating look into a large part of American fiscal problems; a large group of people dependent on Government intervention in the workplace. Insisting that basic principle of Business management are ignored. Inflated job numbers at inflated wages leads to deflation of the entire system. The fiscal medicine that should have been taken 15 years ago was passed over for the junk food of union votes. The time for medicine is over…and the surgery will be much more painful.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:48:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The government came to the conclusion that you can either pay out welfare checks to people that didn't work, or you could hire those folks to do something productive and get something out of 'em.  I understand the intent.

I won't comment further.

Doing " something   productive " and  bilking  us  for  the " Full  Monte "  are  two  different  things .
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If you really miss it, just book a flight and check your luggage. TSA will do the rest.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seriously?

If you can't tell race by someones phonetically spelled first name - that is a different kind of special

Now question for you?

How fucking stupid would I have to be to hire anybody but the person who in my 30 years worth of experience is going to do the best job?

The harder they work, the less hard I have to work.

I maybe stupid, but I ain't that fucking stupid.

Paul-
In no way of suggesting that you have allowed bias to enter into your hiring decisions, but if an agency receives resumes from:

Lakeshia, LaVonda, Anfernee, Arturo, Ernesto, Javier, Adolf, Hans

If I were inclined "help a person of my ethnicity out" wouldn't I have a better than average chance in making a selection based on first names?

As well as when reviewing their alma mater, Lakeshia graduated from Howard Univ, LaVonda graduated from Tuskegee Univ, Anfernee has a GED, Arturo holds a M.A from New Mexico State, etc

I would be able to make a pretty good guess. To claim that the hiring process is completely based on merit is not entirely accurate.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:53:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Presidents Day ...

If George Washington knew he ultimately got lumped into a bunch of also-rans ...

Don't worry, I puked for him
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#41]
so?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:55:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:14:04 PM EDT
[#43]

What this ignoramus means is that there's a long tradition of government jobs giving preferential treatment to African-Americans, even if they do not meet standards.  And the private sector, which does not hire unqualified applicants because they are businesses that aren't forever funded by tax dollars to make up for inefficient work by unqualified employees, hires African-Americans based on the same standards as everyone else.

I'm so tired of the excuses and finger pointing.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So which of these three is the black man applying for the job:

Bob
Tom
Chuck

Schultz
O'Riely
Smith
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:33:34 PM EDT
[#45]
The Post Office is toast.  Plan ahead.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#46]
don't care.  get rid of whoever the poor performers are.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:39:08 PM EDT
[#47]
is this a shoe store, post office joke?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

More Postal jobs are in cities and that's where you have more Gov't.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#49]
white people have done more to advance blacks than anyone else would ever do. look at colin powell  and what he said. face it there own people sold them to people from here and were enslaved and nothing we do will make up for it. I would like to see the the majority of them get the fuck out before they bankrupt us.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:02:31 PM EDT
[#50]
In the area I live it is mostly white. Most of the magazines I get are torn to pieces. The packages are crushed. Mail is put in the wrong box.

When I complain about it to the white supervisors nothing is done. My neighbors and I have even put out names and addresses "Inside" our mailboxes so the knuckleheads will have another chance at getting it right.

They lost a check for $40k one day. It seems that our post man decided to go home early so that days mail was pushed to the side in his truck. The next day he had another load of mail. Two days later I got my check and a new mail carrier.

Ed
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top