Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/20/2010 7:17:56 AM EDT
Smoker here.  For all you salt suckers, all I can say is HA-HA!

Remember, it's for your own good.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,591285,00.html

U.S. Plans Drive to Limit Salt in Foods

U.S.
regulators are planning a push to gradually cut the amount of salt
Americans consume, saying less sodium would reduce deaths from
hypertension and heart disease, The Washington Post reported on Tuesday.

The effort would eventually lead to the first legal limits on the
amount of salt allowed in processed foods, the newspaper reported. The
plan is to be launched this year but officials have not set salt limits.

The government plans to work with the food industry and health
experts to reduce sodium gradually over a period of years to ratchet
down sodium consumption, the newspaper said, citing U.S. Food and Drug
Administration sources.

U.S. researchers said in a recent study that working with the food
industry to cut salt intake by nearly 10 percent could prevent hundreds
of thousands of heart attacks and strokes over several decades and save
the U.S. government $32 billion in healthcare costs.

Eating too much salt is a major cause of high blood pressure, which
the Institute of Medicine, one of the National Academies of Sciences,
last week declared a "neglected disease" that costs the U.S. health
system $73 billion a year.

The FDA, which regulates most processed foods, and the U.S.
Agriculture Department, which oversees meat and poultry, will work
together on the effort to reduce Americans' sodium consumption.

Manufacturers can now use as much salt as they like in products but they are required to report the amount on nutrition labels.

Many food makers have already begun to cut salt content.

In March, PepsiCo Inc, which owns the Pepsi, Frito-Lay and Quaker
brands, announced that it plans a reduction of 25 percent in the
average sodium per serving in major global food brands in key markets
by 2015.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:19:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Big Brother is watching you...eat dinner.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:20:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Smoker here.  For all you salt suckers, all I can say is HA-HA!

Remember, it's for your own good.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,591285,00.html

U.S. Plans Drive to Limit Salt in Foods

U.S.regulators are planning a push to gradually cut the amount of saltAmericans consume, saying less sodium would reduce deaths fromhypertension and heart disease, The Washington Post reported on Tuesday.

The effort would eventually lead to the first legal limits on the amount of salt allowed in processed foods, the newspaper reported. Theplan is to be launched this year but officials have not set salt limits.

The government plans to work with the food industry and healthexperts to reduce sodium gradually over a period of years to ratchetdown sodium consumption, the newspaper said, citing U.S. Food and DrugAdministration sources.

U.S. researchers said in a recent study that working with the foodindustry to cut salt intake by nearly 10 percent could prevent hundredsof thousands of heart attacks and strokes over several decades and savethe U.S. government $32 billion in healthcare costs.

Eating too much salt is a major cause of high blood pressure, whichthe Institute of Medicine, one of the National Academies of Sciences,last week declared a "neglected disease" that costs the U.S. healthsystem $73 billion a year.

The FDA, which regulates most processed foods, and the U.S.Agriculture Department, which oversees meat and poultry, will worktogether on the effort to reduce Americans' sodium consumption.

Manufacturers can now use as much salt as they like in products but they are required to report the amount on nutrition labels.

Many food makers have already begun to cut salt content.

In March, PepsiCo Inc, which owns the Pepsi, Frito-Lay and Quakerbrands, announced that it plans a reduction of 25 percent in theaverage sodium per serving in major global food brands in key marketsby 2015.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:20:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Land of the free.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:21:12 AM EDT
[#4]
who didn't see this coming?

and rightly so if we are now paying for healthcare.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:21:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Big Nanny knows best.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:22:20 AM EDT
[#6]
You can still add as much salt as you want. I just don't think so much salt should be included.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:23:43 AM EDT
[#7]
nanny state.. we are all doomed
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:23:53 AM EDT
[#8]

The FDA can't even provide us with Safe food from foreign countries...

Tainted foods from China and South of the border will continue to plague the FDA.

So the FDA puts their efforts into controlling domestic food producers by limiting SALT.

Leave us alone, put you time into protecting the food supply...

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:24:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You can still add as much salt as you want. I just don't think so much salt should be included.

So buy low sodium food.

How fucking hard is that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:25:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Aren't most processed foods high in salt to help keep them from spoiling?

The salt content is on the label.  Let the consumer decide whether or not to buy the product.  I personally don't like a lot of salt in my food, which is why cook up a lot of fresh foods, but a .gov regulation is ridiculous.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:29:01 AM EDT
[#11]
It's for your health.  

Apparently, we are losing the right to harm ourselves a little each day.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:29:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, the pendelum swing to a generation of morbidly obese slobs that are entering retirement and demand everything be given to them by either their parents, or their kids and their right to self-induce adult onset diabetes from being glutenous. entitled pigs is being threatened.

If you are one of them, going into retirement and YOU expect to be kept alive forever on my dime, lose a few pounds and cut out the salt.

I wonder how many of you whom bemoan this support the war on drugs?

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:29:13 AM EDT
[#13]

personal responsibility - this fuckin' country has none and is the reason why in 5 years we might as well call ourselves great fucking britain v.2

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:30:44 AM EDT
[#14]
So, instead of pushing processed foods in public schools, why not take a page out of Jaimie Oliver's book and do the "whole-scratch cooking" in the schools?  He's beginning to prove that the costs are about the same and produces MUCH better food.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:32:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Think in the not so distant future the FDA swat team will be conducting armed tactical raids of homes with seawater evaporation setups in basements and garages? Salt lab raids.

We are racing towards a future similar to what is portrayed in the movie Demolition Man.

I will be living underground, eating tasty rat burgers and raiding Taco Bell for food tablets.

Also: driving a GTO and wearing battle gear made out of old ATV tires.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:36:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Tainted foods from China and South of the border will continue to plague the FDA.

So the FDA puts their efforts into controlling domestic food producers by limiting SALT.

The .gov subsidizes tobacco farmers and high fructose corn syrup and then beats up on smokers and tobacco companies, and complains about obesity.
The stupid is so thick you could you could cut it with a knife.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:39:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Aren't most processed foods high in salt to help keep them from spoiling?

The salt content is on the label.  Let the consumer decide whether or not to buy the product.  I personally don't like a lot of salt in my food, which is why cook up a lot of fresh foods, but a .gov regulation is ridiculous.

Salt helps with spoilage but its primary reason is flavor.  They put alot of salt in there to mask or enhance the flavor.  Lower sodium means blander food so the consumer will either put more salt on it or the companies will come up with some other ingredient (which in 20 years will be found to cause cancer).
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:46:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We are racing towards a future similar to what is portrayed in the movie Demolition Man.

When will the cops start looking like Sandra Bullock?

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:46:52 AM EDT
[#19]
I used to say stuff like if they can outlaw smoking, they will come after fatty foods, soda pop, salt, grease.  I used to get a lot of looks.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:48:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Apparently we're too stupid to eat.

BTW, this is the next big push, now that .gov pays for your health care.  Everything that affects your health is under total and complete .gov control.

Ha-ha, fuck you, morans.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:49:22 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When will the cops start looking like Sandra Bullock?

No shit!!!

"ATOMIC_FERRET, you have been fined three credits for violation of the verbal morality code!"

FUUUUUUUUUUU

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:51:03 AM EDT
[#22]
This was part of the danger in nationalizing health care.The .gov now has the obligation to reduce costs by limiting risk.What most folks don't realize is that guns will be declared a health risk.They will either ban private ownership or more likely tax you.Don't own a gun = price for health care. Do own a gun= price times (insert multiple).
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:51:14 AM EDT
[#23]
This was to be expected because of the health care reform. The government can now justify controlling what you do and eat so they can save money. Alcohol, tobacco, sugar and fatty foods are probably next.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:51:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yeah, the pendelum swing to a generation of morbidly obese slobs that are entering retirement and demand everything be given to them by either their parents, or their kids and their right to self-induce adult onset diabetes from being glutenous. entitled pigs is being threatened.

If you are one of them, going into retirement and YOU expect to be kept alive forever on my dime, lose a few pounds and cut out the salt.

I wonder how many of you whom bemoan this support the war on drugs?

I'm against both FWIW.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:51:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Well this is easy enough... just carry your own S&P shakers!

Until they start limiting bulk salt sales I'd say we're still GTG.

Back in the olden days, salt was a well respected commodity and considered an essential nutrient for good health...

Hmmm? Salt tax?

Tea tax... ?
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:53:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Reminds me of an email I received not long ago.

a couple of brief points:

Conservatives who don’t like guns, don’t buy them.

Liberals who don’t like guns, want all guns outlawed.

Conservative vegetarians don’t eat meat.

Liberal vegetarians want all meat products banned for everyone.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:53:14 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So buy low sodium food.

Well, you'd have to actually read the label. And what's a guy to do if there isn't any low sodium food available at the circle K? It's much easier to force companies to reduce the sodium content rather than have to actually take any individual responsibility for what you shovel into your face.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:53:19 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

So, instead of pushing processed foods in public schools, why not take a page out of Jaimie Oliver's book and do the "whole-scratch cooking" in the schools?  He's beginning to prove that the costs are about the same and produces MUCH better food.

Once again I'll ask this question: why do schools need to be feeding kids in the first place?

The school day is 6 hours long... does a kid really need much more than a PB&J and an apple to make it through?
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:55:27 AM EDT
[#29]
What about foods where salt is a primary ingredient, like bacon or soy sauce?  

I wonder how far we are from black market food.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:55:39 AM EDT
[#30]
I got me some high-capacity pre-ban salt - complete with that thing that goes up and sling!

Does it make my ass look big?
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:55:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Land of the salt free.

Fixed.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:56:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The .gov subsidizes tobacco farmers and high fructose corn syrup and then beats up on smokers and tobacco companies, and complains about obesity.
The stupid is so thick you could you could cut it with a knife.

Absofuckinglutely!

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:59:23 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Once again I'll ask this question: why do schools need to be feeding kids in the first place?

The school day is 6 hours long... does a kid really need much more than a PB&J and an apple to make it through?

Slippery slope indeed.   FYI, they do have the option to 'opt-out' of the school lunch program in most districts.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:00:53 AM EDT
[#34]
About 15 years ago this article would have been an obvious joke.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:00:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:03:10 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Slippery slope indeed.   FYI, they do have the option to 'opt-out' of the school lunch program in most districts.

Do people get to "opt out" of paying the taxes that fund the school lunch program?

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:04:38 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do people get to "opt out" of paying the taxes that fund the school lunch program?  

To channel the big government types.   Of course not, they  know best right?

ETA:  I do wonder how many of you bitching (me included) about this also ate lunches at school while growing up?

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:12:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Welcome to the Fascist States Of America
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:32:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

So buy low sodium food.

Well, you'd have to actually read the label. And what's a guy to do if there isn't any low sodium food available at the circle K? It's much easier to force companies to reduce the sodium content rather than have to actually take any individual responsibility for what you shovel into your face.

Reading is too hard, I should be able to push a button and have the box tell me how much salt.

Gov should make companies do that.

Actually gov should just deliver the approved foods to my house, why should I have to take the time to pick out healthy food, its a human right to have healthy food given to me.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:32:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:34:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Good. I hope they do ban it. I also hope they ban sugar, HFCS, fried food, fast food, cokes, coffee, caffeine, spicy food, meat, bread, peanuts, walnuts, alcohol, and anything else that is unhealthy. Frankly, I won't be happy until we have to wait in soup lines three times a day so the gov't can monitor how much and what we eat everyday to ensure we are healthy.
Maybe then most of America will realize that elections have consequences and quit voting for this shit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:36:09 AM EDT
[#42]
The only restaurant in the future is Taco bell.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:37:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Good. I hope they do ban it. I also hope they ban sugar, HFCS, fried food, fast food, cokes, coffee, caffeine, spicy food, meat, bread, peanuts, walnuts, alcohol, and anything else that is unhealthy. Frankly, I won't be happy until we have to wait in soup lines three times a day so the gov't can monitor how much and what we eat everyday to ensure we are healthy.

Maybe then most of America will realize that elections have consequences and quit voting for this shit.

You have too much faith in the sheeple.  Most likely scenario would be people standing in the line and complaining that "someone down the street has their own garden and how its unfair that they get to eat whatever while I...Excuse me, its my turn at the soup ladle".
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:38:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

personal responsibility - this fuckin' country has none and is the reason why in 5 years we might as well call ourselves great fucking britain v.2

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:38:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Fuck the Regime, I'm having a cigar and a scotch.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:40:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Great, I look forward to the guy selling "soon to be banned salt shakers" at the next gun show.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:42:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I used to say stuff like if they can outlaw smoking, they will come after fatty foods, soda pop, salt, grease.  I used to get a lot of looks.

Smoking isn't outlawed, and as long as gubbmint is taxing the shit out of it, it never will be.

I doubt you'll see bans on salty/fatty food, cokes, etc...what you'll is a new "health tax" applied to such foods.  The raw materials, such as butter or sugar sold in the grocery store, probably not.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:42:25 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Land of the free.

Home of the brave.

When I heard about this the first thing that came to mind when the Presidents assistant was speaking toward the end of the movie 'Escape from LA'.  

It went something like "Land of the Free, Home of the Brave - no drinking, no smoking, no red meat....".
-K

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:43:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Great, I look forward to the guy selling "soon to be banned salt shakers" at the next gun show.

Wait till they ban seawater and dig up the Bonneville Salt Flats to stop people bootlegging pre-ban salt.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:44:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Hey, if some fatass that can't control their eating is now forcing me to pay their healthcare, then god dammit I better be allowed to make sure they can't eat themselves into an instant heart attack...

That said, I'd rather they paid for their own triple-bypass and were allowed to eat whatever the fuck they want...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top