Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2006 4:38:11 PM EDT
To the ARFCOM crowd,  I was at a recent airshow and a bunch of aircraft was on static display.  I noticed all the Air Force aircraft were pretty much subdued gray nothing too flashy.  Some Navy aircraft were painted up with bright squadron colors and such.

Do deployed Navy aircraft have a protocol as far what can be painted or do they have to be all subdued colors???  I've seen pics on the Navy site with painted up F-14s and F/A18s that look bada**.  

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
To the ARFCOM crowd,  I was at a recent airshow and a bunch of aircraft was on static display.  I noticed all the Air Force aircraft were pretty much subdued gray nothing too flashy.  Some Navy aircraft were painted up with bright squadron colors and such.

Do deployed Navy aircraft have a protocol as far what can be painted or do they have to be all subdued colors???  I've seen pics on the Navy site with painted up F-14s and F/A18s that look bada**.  

Like any service the Navy has maintenance instructions and maintenance publications for aircraft paint systems.

The Navy's painting bible, the NA 01-1A-509 Corrosion Control Manual has a paragraph that deals with "squadron colors and markings".

The aircraft must be painted up with NAVAIR approved aircraft paint, (no custom Ditzler mixes) and it must be applied IAW the 509.

The squadron must ask for  and receive an "Aircraft Paint Deviation".
I can't remember how much of the aircraft surface can be painted, I think it's less than 25% of the total surface.

The deviation is approved by the Aircraft Type Commander (either the Wing or NADEP) and is sent to NAVAIR for review purposes.

The current instruction allows each squadron to paint one aircraft, usally the Skippers or the CAGs bird. These are the aircraft with with either the 000 or the 001 MODEX.

A squadron can ask for a further deviation to allow more than one bird to be painted in squadron colors.

The F-14 squadrons that decommissioned could pretty much do what they wanted to do.

One note, both Navy and Marine organizational level (squadron) maintenance is not allowed to strip and paint aircraft.
The 505 instruction has specific guidelines on how much of an aircraft surface can be painted.
Squadron level painting is kept to a minimum, and it is done for corrosion control purposes, not to make the airplane look "pretty".

That's why most Navy and Marine aircraft look like hammered dogshit.  

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:23:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Ahh o.k.    At the airshow I saw a F/A-18 that was painted up and saw it was a CAG's plane.    Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#3]
My ship had the last two squadrons of F-4S and A-7s, VF-151, VF-161; VA-56 and VA-93. Just before I left, COMNAVAIRPAC made them paint over the shark's teeth on VA-93's A-7s. They also made them cover up all but the skippers' birds.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#4]
i get so jealous when i go to air museums and see WWII planes with the personalized nose art and stuff.

back in the day it was YOUR plane (pretty much like YOUR rifle)

now it's CLEARLY the USAF's jet that you get to borrow once and a while
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#5]
The coolest has to be the VX squadrons, most notably VX-9 with Vandy 1.

VX-30 is also flying a 18 that is painted in brown camo complete with a star on the tail.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:51:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

store1.yimg.com/I/mcmahanphoto_1869_45795407

VX-30 is also flying a 18 that is painted in brown camo complete with a star on the tail.

THATS NICE
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:34:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

What's the story with the VX squadrons?  I've never heard that term before.

-K
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's the story with the VX squadrons?  I've never heard that term before.

-K

Air Test and Evaluation Squadrons
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:42:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Not very functional today, but the most beautiful aircraft paintjobs were on USN aircraft prior to WWII.

See the movie "Dive Bomber" with Errol Flynn.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top