Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 11:50:49 PM EDT
Anyone have any info on this story? It was running on the surface and crash into the ship? How the hell does this happen?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:56:22 PM EDT
[#1]
U.S. Sub Collides With Ship
Monday, September 05, 2005

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates — A U.S. Navy submarine collided early Monday with a Turkish merchant ship in the Gulf, the U.S. Navy (search) reported. No one was hurt on either vessel.

The USS Philadelphia (search) was traveling on the surface of the Gulf when it hit the Turkish-flagged M/V Yaso Aysen, a cargo ship, at around 2:00 a.m. local time, the U.S. Navy 5th Fleet Headquarters in Bahrain reported in a statement.

No sailors or merchant seamen were injured, the Navy said.

The Philadelphia was conducting surface operations on its way to Bahrain for a scheduled port visit, the Navy said.

The submarine continued to Bahrain (search) where inspectors will check it for damage. There were no immediate reports of damage to the Turkish ship.

The Navy statement did not say exactly where the collision took place.

The Philadelphia is part of a fleet of U.S. and allied navy vessels patrolling the Gulf, conducting what are called "maritime security operations" against weapons and drug smuggling.

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,168485,00.html
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:03:46 AM EDT
[#3]
hope everyone is okay (i read the article but still hope all is well)...we've got a memeber here thats a US Navy Submariner and he was supposed to be on deployment as far as i know.  MDC85, you out there bud?  let us know youre okay.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:11:13 AM EDT
[#4]
You would think that they would remember what happen the last time they conducted an experiment in Philadelphia.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:39:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh, oh, that is not good, the captain better start looking for a new job.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:50:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

No shit.
How the hell does a submarine hit a damned boat??
Thats like an airplane hitting a car.....

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:01:32 AM EDT
[#7]
They can detect an enemy sub under billions and billions of metric tons of ocean, but they can't spot a boat while they are both on the surface
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:24:26 AM EDT
[#8]
The Persian Gulf is a very crowded, heavily-trafficked body of water and the crash happened in the middle of the night.  Still, the commander's probably finished.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:09:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The Persian Gulf is a very crowded, heavily-trafficked body of water and the crash happened in the middle of the night.  Still, the commander's probably finished.

SSS

Shoot, sink, shut the fuck up!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:11:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I speak from first hand experience. I served on the boats and have seen exactly what happens in this circumstance. The following people have just ended their naval career.
1. The C.O.
2. Officer of the deck
3. Navigator
4. Quartermaster of the watch
5. lookout watch
6. Helmsman/planesman
7. Sonar Tech on watch
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:13:12 AM EDT
[#11]
forgot one. Also whoever had the radar watch.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:15:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I speak from first hand experience. I served on the boats and have seen exactly what happens in this circumstance. The following people have just ended their naval career.
1. The C.O.
2. Officer of the deck
3. Navigator
5. lookout watch
6. Helmsman/planesman
7. Sonar Tech on watch

The helmsman? Doesnt he steer the boat? I mean damn, isnt like he has a window, how is he responsible?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:19:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1. The C.O.
2. Officer of the deck
3. Navigator
5. lookout watch
6. Helmsman/planesman
7. Sonar Tech on watch

The helmsman? Doesnt he steer the boat? I mean damn, isnt like he has a window, how is he responsible?

because he has physcial control of the boat and must be ready to act immediately. Although the big black turds don't turn on a dime or stop for that matter. He does have the watch. And that is how the navy looks at it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:15:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1. The C.O.
2. Officer of the deck
3. Navigator
5. lookout watch
6. Helmsman/planesman
7. Sonar Tech on watch

Too bad NASA can't learn from this.  The person most responsible for Columbia is still working, in management, at JSC, last I heard.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:17:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit.
How the hell does a submarine hit a damned boat??
Thats like an airplane hitting a car.....

Well that is just a completely ignorant statement. Submarines travel on the surface, especially in and around shallow water, like heading into port which is exactly what PHILLY was doing at the time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top