Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#1]
How do you plan for the unconventional?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Got it covered.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:06:01 PM EDT
[#3]
explain to me how an unconvential warfare strategy justifies 2000 F35s.

Because until you do, it isn't worth fuck all in the Pentagon.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:09:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Oh, okay, thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

haha
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:10:06 PM EDT
[#6]
That report seems to have omitted the F35 from its grand strategy.

ETA: Should have guessed Sylvan would beat me to it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Pffft, OP, theyve got it down man.  Millions on illegals crossing our borders...
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#8]
So many people trying to be unconventional, they turned it conventional.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:21:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Unconventional warfare doesn't get LM contracts.   In a way it's a compliment toward the conventional capabilities of the US military - they know they can't beat us so they seek other ways.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Next generation bomber
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:30:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Next generation bomber
View Quote

Long Range Strike.

NGB is 2 years old and an expired term.

The next generation is here, now, and ready.  sorta.

Just send money.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:39:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Obama lacks the ability to think Strategically. Other people are running him because his mind has been blown by drugs.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:25:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Long Range Strike.

Just send money.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Next generation bomber

Long Range Strike.

Just send money.

We have hyper sonic missiles which are part of the "U.S. military’s conventional prompt global strike (CPGS) program". Apparently so do the Chinese (link).

Here's another link space.com that has a good video of the X-51 Waverider.

They are more or less still in testing phase, but still a viable option compared tot he logistics of keeping a long range bomber in flight, fueled and re-fueled and with minding contested airspace.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Explanation One:  A dedicated patriot in SOCOM is exposing a grave flaw in US strategy.

Explanation Two:  SOCOM wants more money.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:32:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
explain to me how an unconvential warfare strategy justifies 2000 F35s.

Because until you do, it isn't worth fuck all in the Pentagon.
View Quote

boom.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:35:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Vlad is my hero.  Lets talk unconventional.   Lets talk getting the job done.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Our unconventional warfare strategy is very unconventional, we plan on fighting it conventionally.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:40:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How do you plan for the unconventional?
View Quote

TRADOC Pamphlet 525-3-1 apparently.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:43:44 PM EDT
[#19]
The US is well aware of assymetrical warfare.  Look at what's happening in Venezuela.  Look at Sanctions.  Then there's also manipulation of the markets prices.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:48:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The US is well aware of assymetrical warfare.  Look at what's happening in Venezuela.  Look at Sanctions.  Then there's also manipulation of the markets prices.
View Quote

not THAT unconventional.  We still want to spend a lot of money, just on shit I want.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#21]
The US military's SOF are good at asymmetrical/unconventional/guerrilla warfare. It's in their job description, it's what we pay them to do. What a regular line grunt can do however is be well versed in COIN Ops. Which is what the regular line forces are there for. The US is moving towards a 4th Generation Warfare strategy rather than the old 3rd Gen. Here's a good article explaining what 4GW is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth-generation_warfare
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#22]
If I remember correctly, there's a whole bunch of dudes in the Army who know a fuck-ton about unconventional warfare. Might even be five groups of them ( 2 national guard groups).....

If only there was someone whom our national leaders could ask about unconventional warfare theory and practice.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:05:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I guess I don't understand how a Russian paratrooper or a Chinese PLAN hacker is somehow a unique or unforeseen threat.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:08:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If I remember correctly, there's a whole bunch of dudes in the Army who know a fuck-ton about unconventional warfare. Might even be five groups of them ( 2 national guard groups).....

If only there was someone whom our national leaders could ask about unconventional warfare theory and practice.
View Quote

I guess we're going to fix Chinese hacking by kicking down doors in south Kafiristan? Because, that's what the majority of our SF force has been doing for over a decade.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:09:06 PM EDT
[#25]
USASOC were also the geniuses that included "engagement" as a warfighting function.

Morans.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Pretty sure the CIA, NSA, and DIA are all over the whole IW/ITW aspect of guerrilla warfare....
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:15:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

And a pretty good one with an arrow that only turns left.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:17:37 PM EDT
[#28]
We have the pieces of the puzzle, between the CIA, NSA, mil, and our own media/tech braintrust.  What we don't have is competent leadership to pull it all together, at the moment.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The US military's SOF are good at asymmetrical/unconventional/guerrilla warfare. It's in their job description, it's what we pay them to do. What a regular line grunt can do however is be well versed in COIN Ops. Which is what the regular line forces are there for. The US is moving towards a 4th Generation Warfare strategy rather than the old 3rd Gen. Here's a good article explaining what 4GW is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth-generation_warfare
View Quote

Thanks Mord
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
We have the pieces of the puzzle, between the CIA, NSA, mil, and our own media/tech braintrust.  What we don't have is competent leadership to pull it all together, at the moment.
View Quote

We also have agencies who didn't want to share intel until after directives were handed down post 9/11

It was a long time ago...so hope this has changed for the better..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top