Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2006 5:54:46 PM EDT
It was only a matter of time...Zarqawi needs to meet Allah ASAP.

HH

-------------------------------------------------------------------

U.S. Intel: Qaeda Plotting 'Big Bang'

March 2, 2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abu Musab al Zarqawi (CBS)

Fast Facts

The violence has complicated talks to form a broad-based government, which U.S. officials consider essential to cut support for insurgents among the Sunni-Arab minority so coalition forces can start drawing down later this year.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(CBS/AP) U.S. officials tell CBS News that intelligence has picked up reports that al Qaeda in Iraq is planning what one source calls the "Big Bang," a spectacular terrorist attack in Iraq against either a single high-profile target or multiple targets simultaneously.

Last week's mosque bombing in city of Samarra that brought Iraq to the brink of civil war was the work of terrorists, some U.S. officials have theorized. Abu Musab al-Zarqawi seems to be betting that another big bang would push the country over the brink, reports CBS News correspondent David Martin. The bomb in one of the holiest sites for Shiite Muslims set off violence all across the country that left hundreds dead.

The Iraqi government has banned all private vehicles in Baghdad during daylight hours Friday, the Muslim prayer day, just as it did last week. That kept car bombs, what the military cars vehicle-born improvised explosive devices, off the streets.

But Zarqawi just waited until the ban was lifted.

"The day the vehicle ban was lifted, all these VBIEDS that he had staged he deployed in Iraq and detonated over the last three days," said Maj. Gen. Rick Lynch, a U.S. military spokesman.

This week, the ban takes effect when the overnight curfew ends at 6 a.m. Friday and will last until 4 p.m. Friday, according to a statement issued by the prime minister's office. Police and army were instructed to seal off the capital and seize any private vehicles that defy the ban.

Pentagon officials are also worried that a terrorist spectacular will undermine administration claims about progress in Iraq and therefore weaken public support for the war here at home, Martin reports.

Also Thursday, a bomb ripped through a vegetable market in a Shiite section of Baghdad and a leading Sunni politician escaped an attack on his convoy as at least 36 people were killed in unrelenting violence pushing Iraq toward civil war.

As sectarian killing surged last week, the U.S. 2nd Brigade, 1st Armored Division was put on alert in neighboring Kuwait for a possible move into Iraq, the military said. But no orders were given for such a move.

The violence has complicated talks to form a broad-based government, which U.S. officials consider essential to cut support for insurgents among the Sunni-Arab minority so coalition forces can start drawing down later this year.

©MMVI, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:56:27 PM EDT
[#1]
They are getting desperate.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:57:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes Buckeye ,  I think your right.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I really wonder if they have the means to pull off a "Big Bang."  If they DO have it, why have they waited until now to use it?  I think they know they're screwed and it's getting close to being over for them-at least over there.  We keep knocking off their leadership and their brains are dying...I wonder how good the Intel really is.

HH
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Patton said "No on has ever won a war dying for their country, they won it by killing the other poor bastard". Suicide bombing may make good press and TV but they will lose because it is not every poor dumb motherfucker that will blow himself up.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I really wonder if they have the means to pull off a "Big Bang."  If they DO have it, why have they waited until now to use it?  I think they know they're screwed and it's getting close to being over for them-at least over there.  We keep knocking off their leadership and their brains are dying...I wonder how good the Intel really is.

HH

They are realising that there dream of a Taliban-like Iraq is never going to happen. To them, if thats the case, there whole objective now is to ruin everything the US has done for the country.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

HH

They are realising that there dream of a Taliban-like Iraq is never going to happen. To them, if thats the case, there whole objective now is to ruin everything the US has done for the country.

I think you're right...I really have to wonder about our Intel after so many failures.

HH
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#7]
 U.S. Intel: Qaeda Plotting Big Bang

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:12:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Not really news. I thought these guys were constantly trying to plan the next huge attack.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#9]
We just took down 61 AlQueda bastards in Iraq yesterday. Hopefully they are being waterboarded at this moment.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#10]
there's a new book out called "FUTURE JIHAD: Terrorist Strategies Against America" by Walid Phares.....the author was born in Beirut, Lebanon and moved to America in the '90s. he is a Professor of Middle East studies at Florida Atlantic University. It's an informative book on the terrorist  mindset. It goes way beyond the "They want to destroy us because we're free" mentality....and it IS NOT one of those books about understanding the terrorists and how to make peace with them. When we know their goals, and understand their motivations, it makes it a whole lot easier to DESTROY them.....
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:24:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
 U.S. Intel: Qaeda Plotting Big Bang

This just in...
In there search of violent destruction of the infidels, Al-Qaida's physicists recently made a bomb that will recreate the "Big Bang", the event that created the universe; recreation of this event will destroy the American infidels... along with everything else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top