Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2002 1:48:46 PM EDT
[url]http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/735818/posts?page=10[/url]
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 1:54:54 PM EDT
[#1]
This isn't a big surprise, in case that is your concern.  They announced the plans for this over a month ago.  These guys knew the Feds were coming and they had every opportunity to square up.  No pity.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 5:49:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I think the system needs to be overhauled. I've had a couple of friends newly married, wives got pregnant or had the baby, left to go with another guy, and they were left with child support payments. They got taken royally and will be paying out for 18 years. It's a scam.

It's unfortunate that this kind of thing happens, but it does all the time.

Link Posted: 8/20/2002 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Second wife had 6 year old daughter when we married.Her dad was pond scum. He had a great job.Fought him for support for 11 years.He'd go to court and pay her a piddly amount to show "good faith" (yeah good faith...that's why he was in court cause he was such a great guy..made 60 to 80 plus a year) so he would not pay another dime for the next two or three years till the next court appearance. Finally the judge told him that if he didn't show up with a check for the full amount he owed her he needed to bring a toothbrush. Judge said don't make me issue a warrant for ya either. He paid up and the my daughter never saw him again.BOOOHOOO What a guy. Last I heard his other 3 kids (by his 2nd wife) he has at home are ALL on drugs and are deadheads! In and out of jail and in trouble everyday! hehehe SWEET! tha prick! Couldn't happen to a more deserving guy! [:D]
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I wish I could get federal agents to threaten people that owe me money.  Oops, I can't.

the government said, were an Oklahoma sheet metal worker who has not made child support payments in 16 years and owes $297,000;
View Quote

How is a sheet metal worker going to come-up with $297,000??

James A. Circle, says he earned more than $39,000 a year and had been ordered to pay $350 a week for a child in New Jersey.
View Quote

$350 per week is $18,200 per year!  How in the world could he be expected to pay nearly 100% of his income, after taxes, in child support?

I (obviously) think a father should support their children, but in every single case I've seen personally, the amount the court ordered the father to pay in child support is much more than they can afford.  If the court ordered the fathers to pay an amount they could, they would probably collect more often.  Instead, it seems the "justice" system simply wants to create more criminals.

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but my niece got a judge to order her former husband to pay for a private school for their three kids.  The private school for the three kids costs more than the father makes after taxes!  I know that, because I do them.  In addition, he is still required to pay alimony and child support.  The guy works hard, and is missing payments.  Since he lives just in North Carolina and his wife lives in SC, he might one day be arrested by a federal agent.  It is sickening to me to see what my niece did to him.z
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 11:28:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Seems like if word got out it might prevent some folks from having kids before they are ready.  It may not be fair but I don't understand people who are barely scraping by as it is then they decide to pop out a few rugrats.  Yeah, everyone has the right to have children but you have to be realistic about it.  Just because you can doesn't mean you should.  Then they realize they hate the person they had the kids with, or get caught screwing around, and they are supposed to get a free pass from child care responsibility.  Oh, I guess the other tax payers should kick in the money to give the kids a chance.  Give me a break.  Yeah, some guys get shithammered in the deal but most just expect to walk away for free and let someone else raise their kids.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 1:01:21 PM EDT
[#8]
The sad thing is many of these dads have no visitation rights. I used to think these guys were assholes, but so many people I know are being screwed in family court it's understandable they don't pay.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top