Posted: 10/1/2004 2:01:31 PM EDT

source:  http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/

that is interesting.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:02:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Iraqi NG in our BDUs
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:03:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Wouldn't surprise me if they were doing some training demos for indiginous forces.   Not that unusual on a battlefield even if they aren't, you never know when your rifle might fail, and you should know how to use your enemies equipment.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:04:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I had read an article posted here about there not being enough M16s at the beginning of the Iraq war. Something like the tank crews who didn't necissarily need a small arm, grabbing up AK's incase they needed one.

BTW: that underfolder on the left looks like a Chinese.. ?_?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Is that a boat on a trailer behind them?  

"Who's up for some fishin' after we kick a lil' tango ass?"  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:05:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Now that i look closer, it looks like Iraqi national guard, my bad.
Too quick to judgement.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Iraqi National Guard wears similar gear and camo to us. If I am not mistaken, they use the old six color desert camo, or something similar.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:06:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Not US troops, we wear 3 color desert exculsivley.

Either ING or another country.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:12:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Is that a boat on a trailer behind them?  

Hey, it's those gun show SEALs and they brought their amphibious assualt craft! ]

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Not US troops, we wear 3 color desert exculsivley.

Either ING or another country.

Correct.  Iraqi NG wear the "chocolate chips"
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:19:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#11]
When I was in Iraq I flew over some huge fresh water lakes that would have been great for fishing or water skiing. ApparentlySaddam and his boys thought the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:21:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I saw that pic earlier and was wondering about the AKs...thanks for clearing that up...ARFCOM ROCKS!!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#13]
That photo originally appeared with the caption that the men were Iraqi National Guard, not US troops.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:25:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
U.S. troops do use AKs.

My brother apparently had an encounter with a Master Gunny who was training with an AK last month and headed back to Iraq.  His comment "They just shoot anyone who is carrying an M4.  I like the extra seconds the AK gives me."

There is just something wrong with that statement, if is he going to train the ING I can see it, but if he is serving with a Marine unit, its not happening,

But more important if he is a Master Gunnery Sergeant, he probably wouldn't have a M4 or in reality a rifle.  There is only a couple of them in a Regt and they all work at the Regt HQs, meaning those who don't even carry rifles.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Perhaps the solution to the SR47?

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:57:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Those are Iraqi National Guard.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#17]
This is one of the pics that was in Lumpy196's photo thread, the caption identified them as ING.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:07:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2004/WORLD/meast/10/01/iraq.main/top.guardsmen.jpg
source:  http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/

that is interesting.

I agree they're ING based on the camo pattern.

It's good to see we're training them right. Looks like they are the only Iraqis using their sights. We may not train them fast, but that's not the point is it? The point is to train them the right way.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#20]
can you PM me his name, because there something wrong with that.  The Marine Corps has done OIF 1, OIF 2 and now on OIF 2.2, the next rotation 3 should not have units that were in both OIF 1 and 2, so 2 trips I can see or 1 trip and going back, but he wouldn't be going to OIF 3 (the units on 3 have been IDed and none were in 2) or 3.2 (3.2 hasn't been ID yet so there is no way he can say that)  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:29:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:34:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:35:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Personally, I would be more worried about friendly fire when I have an AK than Iraqi fire when I have a M-16. I know what side actually aims......
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:01:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
U.S. troops do use AKs.

My brother apparently had an encounter with a Master Gunny who was training with an AK last month and headed back to Iraq.  His comment "They just shoot anyone who is carrying an M4.  I like the extra seconds the AK gives me."

There is just something wrong with that statement, if is he going to train the ING I can see it, but if he is serving with a Marine unit, its not happening,

But more important if he is a Master Gunnery Sergeant, he probably wouldn't have a M4 or in reality a rifle.  There is only a couple of them in a Regt and they all work at the Regt HQs, meaning those who don't even carry rifles.

I was the source of Tatja's hearsay.

I'm happy to put any legitimate soldier who has legitimate questions in touch with the Marine in question on a private basis.  Other than that I'm not disclosing the name of an operator on his way back to the sandbox.

I know many U.S. soldiers who have trained, both officially and unofficially, with AKs for use in Iraq.  This particular Marine is one of the more no-bullshit operators I have met.  He shot the shit out of me and my AR/ACOG in the course with the AK and just irons... and I'm no slacker.  Even so, I shot pretty poorly that weekend and I'm still sore about it.

Since coalition forces generally abide by their rules of engagement and insurgents have none I don't think carrying an AK is going to be that big of a deal in terms of friendly fire.  Neither, it seems, does Master Guns X.

I suppose it's possible that he was spinning a yarn.  I will let YOU propose that theory to him, and tell him that he's full of shit, thanks.  So far as I am concerned, Marines are to be taken at their word as a general rule.  You might have a different opinion.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
U.S. troops do use AKs.

+1, no way  Master Gunnery Sergeant is in the field.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
U.S. troops do use AKs.

Think again buddy, know a bunch that prefer it to us issue,  more reliable, plentiful ammo, and a better all around cartridge.  AK
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
U.S. troops do use AKs.

Think again buddy, know a bunch that prefer it to us issue,  more reliable, plentiful ammo, and a better all around cartridge.  AK

I know STLRN's background and have no reason to not believe what he says, so whats your background and why should anyone believe you?

I doubt you know 1% of what he does on the subject.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
U.S. troops do use AKs.

I heard that 5.56 tumbles after 200 yards too.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:39:15 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
U.S. troops do use AKs.

I know STLRN's background and have no reason to not believe what he says, so whats your background and why should anyone believe you?

I doubt you know 1% of what he does on the subject.

Um....being in the marine corps for beginners...having a shitload of friends and family that are still there,   Im tellin you, we/they, can/will/do carry AK's

With that being said, i dont personally know anyones "background" and am not going to argue who bullshits about what.   What i am going to tell you is this, i know for a fact that we/ they do carry AKs when given half a chance, do we actually "shitcan our M4's", well, no, if we arent able to account for them were in deep shit, but when we can we carry aks.  

I do agree however, that as a Mstr Guns, no you probly wont have a rifle period.  so sure maybe TATJANA is full of shit, i dotn know, what i do know is that any man who keeps secrets between horse and rider is fucked, (see tatjana's sig line)   and being that you dont know my background, who the fuck are you criticize???   Reply welcome, AK
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:52:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Point 1:  The picture is of an Iraqi National Guard unit.

Linky…… www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=279611

Point 2:  It is not unusual for troops in the field to 'aquire' an AK47… don't know how it is the US Sector, but down in Basrah in the British Sector you can openly buy AK's in the markets for $50 a time. Also, when the troops do a weapons sweep, the better stuff is kept for a 'rainy day.'.

Point 3: It's very common for anyone "Special Forces' to use the AK's … it's a bit of a give away that you are coalition forces if you go wandering around in bandit country with an M4 or SA80… so they carry local stuff.

Andy
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:54:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Dude, Tatjana's a chick, a hot one too. Austrian is her brother, and STLRN is a Marine with some time in the sandbox. Watch what you say.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:06:41 AM EDT
[#34]
It's called combat resupply and  most troops do go through Com Bloc "at least that's what it was called a few years ago" weapons familiarization. Don't ask about my background.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:12:04 AM EDT
[#35]
... I for one would like to see all the good folks of this thread just cool it.

... A bunch a great reputations I would hate see dragged through a public fricking Internet forum
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:41:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 1:55:32 AM EDT
[#37]
For those who say there is no way a master gunny would be in the field, I'd like to remind you that anyone that crosses the border into Iraq is "in the field". There are no clear battle lines. The war is being fought in the rear as much as anywhere.  It doesn't matter if you are an infantryman, a truck driver, a cook or a clerk. If you are in Iraq and you are wearing the uniform of the US Armed Forces, then you are a combatent and better be prepared to fight. I would think this applies to MSGT's as well.

-CH
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:10:48 AM EDT
[#38]
A MGySgt is a E9, the current regs is anyone below 06 and E9 will be issued a rifle.  However because M4 are not a massed fielded item and there is a shortage of A4s Staff and Officers are mostly carrying A2s, with the new "cool guy" weapon being an M79.

However that doesn't change that the fact that MGySgts are not normally the type that go to the field, they are planners and coordinators no longer trigger pullers.  They gave that up probably in most cases when two promotions ago.  Unlike 1stSgt who are still in companies, once the they became a MSgt they left the company and went to work for the BN, once they got promoted from MSgt they went to work for the Regt (normally there is only 1MGySgt per Occfield in a Regt also, so there what like 4-6 in a Regt, so there are only a handful or so of them).

So no, as a Major in the Marine Corps I really don't buy a whole lot of MGySgts in the Marine are going to the field as Operators.  So it may just be one of those tall tales told to some civilians at the range.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:12:49 AM EDT
[#39]
"If I need one of those there will be plenty of them laying around," SgtMaj Basil Plumley, USA, Ret.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:13:49 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
U.S. troops do use AKs.

STRLN is a USMC officier who used an AK in the invasion of Iraq. It jammed.

His unit later tested 40 AKs captured from the Iraqi army, their reliability wasn't impressive.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:19:05 AM EDT
[#41]
If STLRN started posting war stories, the guys here would probably shut up, but he's quiet about it, and that commands a lot of respect from me.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:24:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:25:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:26:04 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Combat Drivers POS AKs thread

More evidence no gun is totally abuse proof.

Heresy! The AK is incapable of jamming! It never needs to be cleaned!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:27:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:28:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:28:46 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Combat Drivers POS AKs thread

More evidence no gun is totally abuse proof.

Heresy! The AK is incapable of jamming! It never needs to be cleaned!

Whats that damn SF guy in Iraq know anyway?

Dude, the smiley meant "joke"
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:29:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:31:31 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Um....being in the marine corps for beginners...having a shitload of friends and family that are still there,   Im tellin you, we/they, can/will/do carry AK's

With that being said, i dont personally know anyones "background" and am not going to argue who bullshits about what.   What i am going to tell you is this, i know for a fact that we/ they do carry AKs when given half a chance, do we actually "shitcan our M4's", well, no, if we arent able to account for them were in deep shit, but when we can we carry aks.  

So you're in recon I take it?

Let's just hope he isn't SF_Chris's little brother!

I know I'll look like an ass for saying that, but after reading Lumpy's comment, I couldn't resist. LOL.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:32:12 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dude, the smiley meant "joke"

Im joking back you dork

Oops, sometimes its hard to tell, you seem so serious always
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top