Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/22/2014 3:34:48 PM EDT
Really?  Says, "joining the U. S. Marines and the German Army in making the Serpa its service holster of choice."

Guess its ok if you carry your sidearm around unloaded.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:37:07 PM EDT
In before heads explode.

I like mine.

[nuke]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:38:02 PM EDT
Carried my M9 in one overseas for a year with the safety off.  Never pulled a Tex Grubner.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:38:10 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GeorgiaBII:
In before heads explode.

I like mine.

[nuke]
View Quote

I like mine too, never understood all the hate.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:38:16 PM EDT
Damn that's lotta fucking holsters....
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:41:44 PM EDT
In before heads explode.

I like mine.

[nuke]
View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:41:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2014 3:42:49 PM EDT by armednhappy]
I thought G Code got a .gov contract of some kind...?

Which would at least partially explain the 15 fucking week wait on my order.

ETA: I use a serpa at work (not by choice) and honestly, with proper training and discipline there IS no problem with them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:42:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2014 3:42:43 PM EDT by Squatch]
In before heads explode.

I like mine.

[nuke]
View Quote

I'm with you.  Why all the Serpa hate?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:43:01 PM EDT
Why the hate for the serpa's? I like mine...and I carry my g19 with one in the chanber
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:43:25 PM EDT
compared to safariland it is easier to move holster from hip to another rig.

Plus this is military not cops
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:43:43 PM EDT
Used one as an MP for three years even with a round chambered never had any issues. I like them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:43:49 PM EDT
I'm not hatin'- I just thought it was funny considering all the hate.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:43:57 PM EDT
Basement dwellers hate serpas.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:47:06 PM EDT
Navy is equipping all their armed watch standers, police and armed guards with Serpas.  IIRC, weren't the NDs all with striker fired pistols versus the M9?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:49:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Aeain:
View Quote

Yup, I carried condition 2 for a year in mine, no problems.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:53:51 PM EDT
I like mine.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:54:06 PM EDT
I also never understood the hate with serpas.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:55:03 PM EDT
The worst part about the Serpa line is how limited it is model wise.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:56:02 PM EDT
Carried in one for years, never had an issue.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:56:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Synyster06Gates:
View Quote

People seem to think that under stress the finger you use to release the holster lock (trigger finger) will end up inside the trigger guard as you draw and cause an ND.  I personally think the design lends itself well to ending the draw with your trigger finger alongside the trigger guard/slide, exactly as it should be.  I guess it makes me a bit of a hypocrite because I don't like glocks because they have no safety and it's too easy to get something in the trigger guard and case "Glock leg".
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:57:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2014 3:58:31 PM EDT by MIDGAPATRIOT]
I have a Serpa, no problems. Weren't most of the ND's from using Serpa's with 1911's?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:58:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Defender3:
Navy is equipping all their armed watch standers, police and armed guards with Serpas.  IIRC, weren't the NDs all with striker fired pistols versus the M9?
View Quote

The chief complaint is rocks and crap jamming the release button. I don't buy into the bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:59:40 PM EDT
View Quote

Kyle Lamb, Larry Vickers, and Pat Rogers may be many things, but I'm pretty sure "basement dweller" is not one of them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:00:03 PM EDT
In for the butt hurt
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:01:17 PM EDT
Someone hear read the thread title as "Sherpas" and had a stroke-inducing boner.... followed by the mother of all rage.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:01:35 PM EDT
Carried a M9 in a serpa for nearly 5 years as an MP. I had no problems with it and loved it in comparison to the other holsters they had around.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:02:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Chairborne:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Condition 2 with an M9?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:03:13 PM EDT
Is it an actual order or is it an IDIQ?  There's a difference.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:04:34 PM EDT
What, Uncle Mike's retention holster didn't enter the bid?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:05:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2014 4:11:35 PM EDT by Chairborne]
Originally Posted By R0N:

Condition 2 with an M9?
View All Quotes

Condition 2 with an M9?

Yes.  The standard way to carry it for AF.

ETA:  For clarification, round in chamber, de-cocked, safety off.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:07:14 PM EDT

People seem to think that under stress the finger you use to release the holster lock (trigger finger) will end up inside the trigger guard as you draw and cause an ND.  I personally think the design lends itself well to ending the draw with your trigger finger alongside the trigger guard/slide, exactly as it should be.  I guess it makes me a bit of a hypocrite because I don't like glocks because they have no safety and it's too easy to get something in the trigger guard and case "Glock leg".
View All Quotes

Here's the thing. I don't think Serpas per se cause people to ND, but I do believe the design puts certain shooters in a position where a mistake can happen more easily that with a different design.

What generally happens is this. People get in a hurry, and try to yank the gun out before properly depressing the latch. While holding upward pressure on the gun, the latch needs more effort to release. The trigger finger curls inward to provide the needed strength, the latch releases, and the curled index finger mashes the trigger when the gun clears the holster.

Yes, it's ultimately the fault of the person, but it doesn't change the fact the holster puts stupid people in the position to do stupid things. I'm not even going to get into the fact you can rip the holster clear off the backplate at the right angle.

There's just flat out much better holsters out there for a little bit more money.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:09:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2014 4:10:14 PM EDT by Bettendorf]
where are they made?

Edit

All Blackhawk SERPA holsters are made in the USA

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:10:02 PM EDT
I've used one for many years with my Glock 23 and I like it just fine.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:10:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By eesmith:

Here's the thing. I don't think Serpas per se cause people to ND, but I do believe the design puts certain shooters in a position where a mistake can happen more easily that with a different design.

What generally happens is this. People get in a hurry, and try to yank the gun out before properly depressing the latch. While holding upward pressure on the gun, the latch needs more effort to release. The trigger finger curls inward to provide the needed strength, the latch releases, and the curled index finger mashes the trigger when the gun clears the holster.

Yes, it's ultimately the fault of the person, but it doesn't change the fact the holster puts stupid people in the position to do stupid things. I'm not even going to get into the fact you can rip the holster clear off the backplate at the right angle.

There's just flat out much better holsters out there for a little bit more money.
View All Quotes

Practice will eliminate that problem entirely.  I find it very natural to grip the pistol and let your trigger finger fall alongside the slide right where it should be, the button is right there and only takes a small press for a smooth draw.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:12:23 PM EDT

M9 Condition Codes

1. Mag inserted, round in chamber, slide forward, hammer forward, safety on (or off per Air Force SF)

2. Does not apply

3. Mag inserted, Chamber empty, Slide forward, Safety on.

4. Mag removed, Chamber empty, slide forward, safety on
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:12:37 PM EDT
Had one for my baretta. No issues.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:15:24 PM EDT
A serpa works pretty well for carrying a Cond 1 pistol under your blouse, it is low enough profile that the cannot carry in Cond 1 Nazis on the bases and FOBs cannot see you are carrying a pistol.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:15:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2014 4:16:57 PM EDT by Chairborne]

M9 Condition Codes

1. Mag inserted, round in chamber, slide forward, hammer forward, safety on (or off per Air Force SF)

2. Does not apply

View Quote

Call it one then, but IMO it is condition two and not one because the hammer is forward (decocked).

ETA:  The M9 safety has a firing pin block, you could in theory carry it safety on, hammer back, round chambered, aka condition 1.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:16:08 PM EDT
I've been carrying a m9 in one since 2006,

in that entire time, I've never seen anyone, including the most retarded knuckle dragging goatfucking mouthbreathing soldier I've ever met, shoot themselves while using one.

wait, one kid did, but he shot himself with his m4
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:16:28 PM EDT
I personally knew infantry Marines from 2/6 and 2nd LAR that used theirs for more than one tour in both Iraq and Afghanistan, and they never complained.  All of them wore their M9s on the front of their Interceptor body armor or MTVs.  I never heard one of our IAs complain about them when they came back from deployment.  

I like mine.  I wish we had them before GWOT.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:19:35 PM EDT

Call it one then, but IMO it is condition two and not one because the hammer is forward (decocked).

ETA:  The M9 safety has a firing pin block, you could in theory carry it safety on, hammer back, round chambered, aka condition 1.
View All Quotes

M9 Condition Codes

2. Does not apply

1 is if it can be fired by pulling the trigger, while 2 is the hammer needs to be cocked
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:20:44 PM EDT

1 is if it can be fired by pulling the trigger, while 2 is the hammer needs to be cocked
View All Quotes

M9 Condition Codes

2. Does not apply

It's double action.  The hammer is self-cocking.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:22:41 PM EDT

View All Quotes

M9 Condition Codes

2. Does not apply

By action of the trigger, that is key.  If you can pull the trigger and it fires it is one while if you have to cock the hammer separate from pulling the trigger  it is two
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:23:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RatSass:
I'm not hatin'- I just thought it was funny considering all the hate.
View Quote

All the hate will mysteriously disappear now that they haz the mil specs.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:23:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DeltaElite777:
Damn that's lotta fucking holsters....
View Quote

No shit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:24:43 PM EDT

By action of the trigger, that is key.  If you can pull the trigger and it fires it is one while if you have to cock the hammer separate from pulling the trigger  it is two
View Quote

I got it, thanks for the correction sir.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:26:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2014 4:28:15 PM EDT by eesmith]

Practice will eliminate that problem entirely.  I find it very natural to grip the pistol and let your trigger finger fall alongside the slide right where it should be, the button is right there and only takes a small press for a smooth draw.
View Quote

Sure. But why? There's much better holsters out there that you don't have to work around, and im not even talking about the other design flaws.

Look, I use a BAD lever. I also have personally seen NDs with them and do not reccommend it to most shooters. I also  sat down and put serious thought and practice into figuring out a specific technique to use them without increasing the chance of an ND. The difference is I actually get a performance boost, and even if an ND happens with one, while not acceptable, following the rest of the safety rules greatly reduces the chance of injury.

But with a serpa there's no real performance benefit, and if you ND its almost certain that round is going into your leg. What's the advantage offered that a safari land Doesn't have?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:28:32 PM EDT

Sure. But why? There's much better holsters out there that you don't have to work around, and im not even talking about the other design flaws.

Look, I use a BAD lever. I also have personally seen NDs with them and do not reccommend it to most shooters. I also  sat down and put serious thought and practice into figuring out a specific technique to use them without increasing the chance of an ND. The difference is I actually get a performance boost, and even if an ND happens with one, while not acceptable, following the rest of the safety rules greatly reduces the chance of injury.

But with a serpa there's no real performance benefit, and if you ND its almost certain that round is going into your leg.
View All Quotes

But with a serpa there's no real performance benefit, and if you ND its almost certain that round is going into your leg.

I had a safariland with the thumbstrap, and it's a much bigger pain in the ass to draw from than the Sherpa.  In fact I don't know of ANY holster that retains the weapon as securely as the Sherpa does that doesn't have some fumbly and fiddly shit to try to negotiate to get the pistol out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:46:15 PM EDT
I've never had the slightest issue with my Serpa.  It seems to be quite adequate.

I definitely prefer it to any leather holster.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:15:33 PM EDT
You have to wonder how much they're paying for the holsters, that's a lot of money.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:22:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Squatch:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Squatch:
In before heads explode.

I like mine.

[nuke]

I've had one for years and have used the shit out of it.  I like it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top