Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/26/2005 10:47:42 AM EDT
I just got the August issue. The El Salvadoran UTO troops sound like real professionals, motivated, well-trained, and competent.

I've read a bit here and there about gangs like MS-13. Many people in the USA still have no clue about MS-13 operating here in the States, or how coldly brutal they can be.

What would you think of a follow-up article about anti-gang ops here on the home front? Many of us reading your magazine aren't in law-enforcement, so some general information about recognizing and avoiding such predators could be useful, too.

Keep up the good work!
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 10:58:07 AM EDT
Here in the Saint Louis Area, we have had a MS13 presence for a couple of years. They seem to be about the same as any other latin Gang, and not to be any better or worse. They have taken to wearing old Kurt Warner (13) jerseys. I understand this to be true in several other US cities. Keep your eyes open.

Link Posted: 7/26/2005 12:51:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:23:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Denny_Hansen:
We ran a fairly comprehensive article on gangs as far as tattoos, what to look for, etc. in the October 2003 issue. The article is still timely and available in either print or electronic from the S.W.A.T. website.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

What about the current state of these gangs operating in the US? How widespread are they? Are they mainly centered in large urban areas, or are they becoming a small town problem? What kind of threat do they pose to the average Joe Citizen?

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 8:45:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:30:57 AM EDT
Thanks.

I'm just trying to keep myself up to date and armed with useful info.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:40:59 PM EDT
I am in indianapolis indiana and now its all of a sudden I am hearing a lot about these people.there is also a comunity (hispanic) that has exploded here.I am seeing a LOT of graffiti and activity here and it is mainly this group of people.all I can say is heads up, pay attention, dont let the wife go to the grocery alone.and above all ALWAYS carry the AMERICAN express and a few extra magazines.these guys actually stepped in front of me when my 4wd was going down an alley(short cut to avoid an intersection) 6-8 of em stood in the way and put thier arms up as if to say wass up?
hehehe I just happened to be going for a little happy time at the range.I laid the Bushy on the dash and I have never seen a group disperse like that before.Evil Black carbine
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:56:04 PM EDT
Homeland Security nets more than 500 gang arrests

By LARA JAKES JORDAN
Associated Press Writer

August 1, 2005, 12:38 PM EDT

WASHINGTON -- Federal authorities arrested 582 alleged gang members over a two-week period, officials said Monday, targeting an estimated 80 violent groups they say have spawned street crimes across the country.

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff called the gangs "a threat to our homeland security and ... a very urgent law enforcement priority."

Investigators picked up most of the offenders between July 16 and July 28 on immigration violations for being in the United States illegally. Seventy-six face criminal charges, ranging from illegal possession of a firearm to holding fraudulent documents.

"For too long, these gangs have gone unchecked _ flouting all laws and demonstrating a blatant disregard for public safety," Chertoff said in announcing the arrests by Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents. ICE is an arm of the Homeland Security Department.

Investigators targeted members in 27 states of what they considered to be the most violent street gangs, including Mara Salvatrucha, or MS-13; Sure Inos; the 18th Street Gang; Latin Kings; the Mexican Mafia; Border Brothers; Brown Pride and numerous others.

Many of the arrests came in large urban areas, including 61 in Boston, 28 in Denver, and 23 each in Los Angeles and Detroit. But even smaller cities have been infiltrated by the gangs, the arrests showed, including 42 in Birmingham, Ala., and one each in Grand Rapids, Mich.; Sioux Falls, S.D.; and North Platte, Neb.

The crackdown is part of ICE's ongoing "Operation Community Shield" campaign, targeting gang activity with other federal and state authorities. So far, ICE has made 1,057 arrests as part of the sting.
Top Top