Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 1/6/2002 8:03:25 PM EST
Any one have US DOD M-14 rifles obtained for department use under the Federal 1033 Program?
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 9:18:38 PM EST
Yes, my department got three M16A1's and three M14 rifles. They are mixed manufacture and I don't remember who at this hour of the morning. Seemed to be quite accurate, I got @1.5" groups off the bench using the peep sights and Federal .308M ammo. No malfunctions and the rifles seemed to be like new or fully refurbished. Funny thing was they only sent three M16 mags but they sent twenty four M14 mags, three bayonets and two full auto switches for the M14's
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 2:17:58 PM EST
Our department got 3 a few years ago and 7 more last year for our honor guard. The two that our SWAT team use like the military ammo better than the Federal .308M.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:44:29 PM EST
My dept. got five of them. They look reparked and have the brown fiberglass stock. They shoot about 1.5 - 2 MOA.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:08:36 PM EST
Can you provide more info about this program...? Can there be individual LEO purchases or agency only ? Mike
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:59:31 PM EST
Agency only. M-14s are machineguns.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:20:21 AM EST
Contact your state coordinator. They will send you an application packet. It will take a few weeks to get everything approved, and your chief law enforcement officer (chief or sheriff)to approve it and sign off on all requests. You can get any military equipment that the military has stopped using, worldwide, except weapons, ammo and restricted items (and their are other programs for that). The equipment is free; your agency only has to pay shipping or pick the equipment up. Our agency has gotten gas guns, protective masks, helmets and trucks in the past. Currently, we are getting BDUs, cold weather gear and brand new MOLLE load-bearing equipment. There is all kind of stuff out there, including stuff like medical equipment that crime labs can use, office equipment and all kinds of fireld gear, some worn out but usable, some brand new, and some pure junk. The only weapons available are .38s, 1911s and M14s. M16s may be available again in a few months. None of the equipment (especially the weapons) can be transferred out of your agency without permission from the military. Your state coordinator is: Ms. Rosalyn M. Bruce, Director POC1: Ms. Jody Fain Div of State Fleet Mgt & Fed'l Property Assistance Florida Department of Management Service 813-A Lake Bradford Road Tallahassee, FL 32304 850-488-4290 FAX: 850-487-3222 E-mail: fainj1@dms.state.fl.us Be careful when you start this process, though. If you are the one who brings this up (like me), you will wind up responsible for it at your agency, and it will take up a large amount of your time. Happy hunting.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:41:07 PM EST
Natez thanks for the detailed response. I already spoke to her and she is far from helpful. She says we can't get any more weapons everything is exhausted. The Feds (LESO) at Rock Island say they are regularly shipping out M-14s and don't have any idea why I was told otherwise. My name dosen't start with Chief, Sheriff, Major or Captain and I figured I was getting the run around this seems confirmed.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 2:56:01 AM EST
M14s are still available. Processing time is about two months from the time your paperwork is in. I think that shipping and inspection runs about $200 per weapon, and your agency is responsible for registering the weapons on ATF Form 10s. If you are having trouble with the local office, call the national one at 1-800-532-9946. Your first step is to get into the 1033 Program. When you called, your state coordinator should have mailed or faxed you a packet (these folks do everything by fax). Fill it out. Your boss and his or her boss (mayor or county commissioner) has to sign all of the letters. Once that is approved, you will get a "screening authorization letter." It will list three people from your agency who are authorized to screen for military equipment, two officers and one firearms trainer. After that, you can pull equipment. There are three ways to do it: 1) Search the DRMS website for gear. If you find something you want, call the DRMO office (the R/T/D section listed for the office) to make sure it is available. If it is, fax them a "Form 103" (your LESO should send you some with your packet). You now have the gear "held" for 2 weeks. Type a justification letter (has to be signed by the Chief or Sheriff) using the format your LESO wnats, and fax it and the 103 to your LESO. Wait. One to two weeks later, they will fax you back a "Form 1348-1" (MILSTRIP requisition). You fax it to DRMO, and you arrange to ship the gear (your agency pays shipping). I use our normal government account with Airborne. 2) Go to a DRMO, and screen gear. This works best because you can actually look at the stuff to make sure that it is servicable. You generate a Form 103. Some DRMO facilities have a bar code reader gun which makes the from for you. Follow the rest of the process above and go back a couple of weeks later to pick stuff up. 3) If the DRMO is more than 200 miles away, you can get same day service. You do all of the same screening and paperwork, but you don't have to wait for approval to take the gear home. Weapons are a different process. You write a letter (your LESO has the format). You wait for approval. Your agency is only authorized enough weapons for 20% of your agency, and all weapons you have ever gotten are added together to come up with your total. You can search for equipment at: [url]http://www.drms.dla.mil/asset/govealpa.html[/url] Good luck and happy hunting.
Top Top