Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2001 8:54:08 AM EST
FYI : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/et?ac=001851641145319&rtmo=aCq5hWuJ&atmo=99999999&pg=/et/01/2/27/wgun27.html US scientists take aim with fastest gun in West By Robert Uhlig, Technology Correspondent Sandia Z accelerator - Sandia National Laboratories A GUN that fires coin-size pellets 10 times faster than a bullet has been developed in America. The Z accelerator could fire a pellet from London to Edinburgh in 26 seconds, or from London to New York in four and a half minutes. It is outpaced only by a nuclear explosion. It has been nicknamed the "fastest gun in the West". Marcus Knudson, who led the project to develop the Z accelerator at Sandia, an American nuclear laboratory, said that description was an understatement. "It's the fastest gun in the world." The aluminium plates it fires move so fast that the air resistance turns them to liquid, heating them to 2,700C, and forcing Dr Knudson to look at other materials, such as titanium and copper. It has been used only to examine the effect of high-velocity projectile impacts over a distance of a few feet, but the technology is being considered as an alternative to launching spacecraft. A more mobile version could be a "hyper velocity" weapon, piercing thicker armour than any used in battle, Dr Knudson added. The accelerator's vacuum chamber is the most powerful producer of electrical discharge on Earth. It uses 20,000 amps to develop a magnetic field that accelerates pellets up to 45,000 mph in 200 billionths of a second, three times faster than the speed needed to escape Earth's gravitational pull. Dr Knudson is using data from the accelerator to simulate the effect of space junk colliding with a satellite or space station travelling in the opposite direction. This will help scientists to balance lightness with strength in satellite and observatory shells. It is also being used to find out how materials react to high pressures and temperatures. ^ www.RKBA.org/antis/hci-master www.DigitalAngel.net/da_patent/index.htm Never Again, Never Forget Seek the Truth Liberate Your Mind FIXED BAYONETS VX
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 9:44:25 AM EST
Cool...ERASER!!!! I want my railgun NOW!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 10:22:46 AM EST
When can I get one?!?!?!?[:P] [rail]
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 11:12:32 AM EST
Now that would be a true army of one.....do you think this gun is what the army is looking for?
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 11:21:49 AM EST
Why don't fire something (if it's a weapon they want in the railgun) that won't melt, like a man made saphire.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 11:42:33 AM EST
Ammo don`t sound cheap.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 11:43:13 AM EST
I like the idea of molten metal coming out the end. Try and remove that easily!
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 12:30:21 PM EST
Ammo won't cost that much, they are just using a chunk of aliminum, maybe titatium or ceramic/metallic composite in the future. The primary cost will be a portable power source. The energy requirements are enormous right now, but like with computers, what once used to fill a warehouse in the 50's now fits on your wrist and is 10 times more powerful. Railguns don't have barrels that wear out. The projectile is levitated and propelled within a series of circular magnets. Just like a bullet train, there is no physical contact between the magnets and metal. No friction = immense speed!
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 12:37:44 PM EST
20,000 Amps? A KABOOM would blow YOU into particals!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 12:38:10 PM EST
I believe this is a refinement of technology that's been around since the early 1960's. In fact, it was originally used during research of space based anti-satellite weapons. Of course, they've come a long way since 1964.
Top Top