Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2005 2:16:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:20:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:45:11 PM EDT
[#2]

A US military source in the documentary declares the hole to be the trademark evidence of an American MK-48 torpedo, which is made to melt cleanly through steel sheet due to a mechanism at its tip that combusts copper.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

A US military source in the documentary declares the hole to be the trademark evidence of an American MK-48 torpedo, which is made to melt cleanly through steel sheet due to a mechanism at its tip that combusts copper.

I think a real expert would say shaped-charge and not some mechanism that combusts copper.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Whatever...fuckin' French. Unfortunately i'm 25 percent of that european bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#5]

CW
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Isn't the MK-48 designed to explode underneath a boat, push it to the surface, and then crack it in half by its own weight unsupported by the water?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow, first the french say we knocked down the towers and Pentagon and now this.  For some real deep imersion in bs, check this out http://www.thepowerhour.com/
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Isn't the MK-48 designed to explode underneath a boat, push it to the surface, and then crack it in half by its own weight unsupported by the water?

That is against a surface ship.  A enemy sub, one wants to puncture its pressure hull.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:11:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

For surface contacts, yes.

For submarines, IIRC, the MK-48 is designed to explode in the direction where the target is sensed. If it passes underneath, it explodes upwards. If it goes over, it explodes downwards.

Now, this shaped charge is somewhat different that those used in anti-armor rounds. Under water, an explosion close-aboard is devastating on its own. To penetrate Typhoon hulls, the ADCAPs were developed with directional warheads (Typhoons are tough buggers to punch holes in). That said, I never heard of any torpedo designed to "cut" through sheet metal.

It's been a while since I had access to any of our boats, so if any of my bubblehead shipmates wish to correct this Shoe, I'm all for it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:13:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is against a surface ship.  A enemy sub, one wants to puncture its pressure hull.

Maybe the US used an improved MK 48 to punch a hole in and drain that lake in Russia…
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Yeah, that's what I thought too.  

WHY would a US sub fire on a Russian sub?  They couldn't have been doing live fire drills right out side the largest Russian naval base, unless they were lunatics or morons.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#13]
To the best of my knowledge, the same concept applies to subs as well as *targets*.  Torp goes under, explodes, forces other sub up with explosion and displaces water.  Enemy sub is broken in half by it's own weight AND the column of water above it.  We'll need a torpedoman to confirm this, as I was just a Fucking Nuke.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, and we also drained a Russian Lake. Fear us!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For submarines, IIRC, the MK-48 is designed to explode in the direction where the target is sensed. If it passes underneath, it explodes upwards. If it goes over, it explodes downwards.

Now, this shaped charge is somewhat different that those used in anti-armor rounds. Under water, an explosion close-aboard is devastating on its own. To penetrate Typhoon hulls, the ADCAPs were developed with directional warheads (Typhoons are tough buggers to punch holes in). That said, I never heard of any torpedo designed to "cut" through sheet metal.

It's been a while since I had access to any of our boats, so if any of my bubblehead shipmates wish to correct this Shoe, I'm all for it.

All I got to say is, the Jet created off a 660 lb 21 inch warhead is going to do some major penetration.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:22:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

All I got to say is, the Jet created off a 660 lb 21 inch warhead is going to do some major penetration.

Yep. You don't need to "combust" copper....
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:35:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this what you tell the missus in bed?

CW
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think a real expert would say shaped-charge and not some mechanism that combusts copper.

I was thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:40:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

would a shape charge that uses super heated copper to cut through armor even work under water?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:52:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Many HEAT (shaped charge) warheads use copper as the material for the cone in the warhead.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:35:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Well, they got it half right.  The truth is that we destroyed the Kursk using sharks with friggin lasers on their heads to melt through the hull...
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Well, they got it half right.  The truth is that we destroyed the Kursk using sharks with friggin lasers on their heads to melt through the hull...

<Smacks himself in the head...>

How could I have forgotten the MK-48 SHARK?

Submersible
Hi-speed
Antisubmarine
Russian
Killer

GEEZ! It's been too long!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I thought it was dolphins
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<Smacks himself in the head...>

How could I have forgotten the MK-48 SHARK?

Submersible
Hi-speed
Antisubmarine
Russian
Killer

GEEZ! It's been too long!

That explains why torpedo was never heard.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:50:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that's what I thought too.  

WHY would a US sub fire on a Russian sub?  They couldn't have been doing live fire drills right out side the largest Russian naval base, unless they were lunatics or morons.

There always has been been an ongoing shadow war under the depths between the US and USSR/Russia. Being discovered by the other side under the surface has been a bad thing for quite a while. I have a friend who served on subs. From what I heard the same kind of thing went on up in the air. I have no personal knowledge of any downed planes or subs but I heard enough when I was in to believe it happens. Hush-hush on both sides after the event.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#26]

Yeah, nevermind the Hydrogen Peroxide torpedos that when used with certain metals, eat through the metals and create toxic, combustible/flammable gas under pressure.....

The same thing(s) happened to Subs back in WW2 when they messed with HP-powered torpedos.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#27]
yea right

bomber
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#28]
damn

i thought that free willy killed the kursk
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top