Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2003 10:50:30 AM EDT
[url=http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=6&u=/ap/20030605/ap_on_re_as/skorea_us_military_8]Link[/url]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#1]
US Army officers have been trying to get this change made since 1953!

Our positions were simply too close to the NKPA artillery and mortars.

This now takes away most any chance of a NKPA preemptive strike working. It does, however, abandon Seoul to the North Korean guns.

But it always was a impossibility to keep Seoul from getting hit by SOMETHING, no matter what we did. With this new arrangement its within the realm of possibility that NKPA ground forces might reach Seoul if they attacked- but by the time they got there US forces from the south and east would have gone around them and be in Pyongyang already.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#2]
In case they attack, we want our boys to be out of the mushroom cloud.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:53:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Hell yes, ungreatful bunch of cat eaters...bte bye. Lets get out all together !!!!!!!!!!!

dont get me wrong I like cat

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I think dog is the prefered domestic pet in Korea.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#5]
What I'm curious about is why they (re)built Seoul as the capital so f***ing close to the DMZ and all those artillery pieces.

TS
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:22:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess I will throw in my $.02.

I say we pull everyone out...of everywhere. Keep Sigonilla and Diego Garcia as MPS bases but bring everyone else back home. We are capable of projecting our power anywhere at anytime and can kick in the door. Just improved the heavy air and sealift somewhat.

And if anyone ever asks Uncle Sugar to send American boys to do a job that the local boys should be doing it will not be pro bono. Charge them for every last bottle of MRE Tabasco sauce plus 50%.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 2:19:12 PM EDT
[#7]
North Korea condemned that plan as a preparation for war.
View Quote

I would say that one line is a damn good assessment.

However, Im not sure if Camp Casey (TDC-10 miles from DMZ)) or CRC (Ouijungbu-20ish miles IIRC) are far enough back to insure first strike survivability. Maybe we just decided to pull back to bigger areas, since all our bases have been there for 50 years, and 20 little ones close would surely be slaughtered.

You Field Artillery guys, what is your max eff. range???
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 2:54:29 PM EDT
[#8]
MLRS is something like 26 miles I belive.

Aviator
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
North Korea condemned that plan as a preparation for war.
View Quote

I would say that one line is a damn good assessment.

However, Im not sure if Camp Casey (TDC-10 miles from DMZ)) or CRC (Ouijungbu-20ish miles IIRC) are far enough back to insure first strike survivability. Maybe we just decided to pull back to bigger areas, since all our bases have been there for 50 years, and 20 little ones close would surely be slaughtered.

You Field Artillery guys, what is your max eff. range???
View Quote

The articles I read said that the centralization at TDC and CRC were temporary until units could be moved to new garrisons further south and in less populated areas. I bet most of our guys will wind up southeast of Seoul in the less heavily populated mountains between there and the coast, where they have some pretty big manuever areas and usually do Team Spirit.

Oh and CRC is in easy 152mm range of the North.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:21:25 PM EDT
[#10]
The article that I read the other day said our troops were too close to effectively use our weapons and that they were not able to be organized into an effective fighting force.  That by pulling them back and reorganizing them we would actually improve our response time for launching an attack.  Check the articles from the other day that talked about the US preparing to take North Korea.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Pull everybody out of Korea and Germany
Put them on the US southern borders
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:46:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The article that I read the other day said our troops were too close to effectively use our weapons and that they were not able to be organized into an effective fighting force.  That by pulling them back and reorganizing them we would actually improve our response time for launching an attack.  Check the articles from the other day that talked about the US preparing to take North Korea.
View Quote

That is correct. It has been unclassified public knowledge for sime time that the US plan for 2ID has been to move south to a tactical assembly area THEN prepare for a counter-attack. The misison to stop the Commie Hordes in their tracks has fallen solely on the ROK Army for many years now - with a little help from our artillery in a counter-fire role.

This move is smart, practical, and will improve things tactically, operationally, and strategically for all sides involved.

u-baddog: did your parents drop you on your head when you were little?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Pull everybody out of Korea and Germany
Put them on the US southern borders
View Quote

I'd put some on the northern border too. No offense, my Kanuck friends...

We also need to round up all the illegals already here and boot them once the borders are secure.

None of this will ever happen though....
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This move is smart, practical, and will improve things tactically, operationally, and strategically for all sides involved.
View Quote

While I hadnt read that anywhere, I agree 110%. 95% KIA projections make very little use in the way of defense or countermeasures. Set back a e outside Artillery range, add in some ADA defense, and at least if we are KIA, we died fighting, not in our bunks or downrange.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#15]
it's about time
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:43:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll add that they should have done this 20 years ago. Most US troops North of Seoul would probably be killed in the first half-hour or so of a conflict with the NKs; they would die in their barracks under some pretty intense artillery.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:51:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm with Stryker_11A.  If the US would just get out of all those countries and concentrate on our selves for a year we would be in top shape.  Every country that asks for help so they don't bloody their own hands can get the tab and pay double what it cost in US dollars to deploy.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:25:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:52:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Was just on Fox News....They said pullback of 75 miles....

And the girls will love the trip, these will have to travel...When 'we' left Sanjuri, most stayed. The ROKs didnt want them, so we would travel to Sanjuri for a 'special' discount...It was a good deal fr us, better than AAA......
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:21:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Great news, for all of the reasons already specified.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:42:19 AM EDT
[#21]
It's about time. I always hated the idea of being a speedbump. I hope this improves moral some. I wonder if the move will include drinky girls in the TOE.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top