Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2006 3:55:56 PM EDT
"But it's just for fun," said Weir"

Fun? How about 'The Soviet Union killed 60 million of its own people and all I got was a lousy CCCP jacket."

Fun? The kid's a dirt bag. He should spend some time in a Soviet gulag. Then maybe I'll accept his comment that it's 'fun'.

www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060210/SPORTS/602100341/-1/NEWS01

Weir causes stir with Soviet jacket
U.S. champion admires Russian skaters, culture
By GARY MIHOCES
USA Today

02/10/2006
TURIN, Italy -- Johnny Weir, winner of three consecutive U.S. figure skating titles, was sporting a throwback warmup jacket from the old Soviet Union after his Olympic practice session Thursday.

"CCCP,'' the Russian acronym for the Soviet Union, was lettered across the chest of the red, zippered jacket. On the left sleeve of the jersey he wore in practice, "Johnny" was spelled out in Russian letters.

"It's not that I'm anti-American or anything like that ... I just admire Russian culture and Russian skaters for their strength and their perseverance through everything they go through," said Weir, who trains at the Pond in Newark.

Advertisement

He acknowledged that he's taken some flak about the jacket, which was a birthday gift from Russian skater Tatiana Totmianina.

"People are [saying] like, 'What are you doing? Why don't you switch countries?' But it's just for fun," said Weir. "It's a group of people I admire. It would be the same as someone wearing a Madonna T-shirt."

Weir's relationship with Russian choreographer Tatiana Tarasova fueled his interest in Russian culture and its strong tradition of skating.

"Working with Tatiana brought it to a forefront just because she's Russian, but I've worked with Russians throughout my whole skating career," he said.

Even as a youngster, Weir was fascinated by anything Russian.

"I remember before I could really write cursive in English, I could write some of the letters in the Cyrillic [Russian] alphabet, because I found a book about it in my library in elementary school," he said. "So, from then on, I was like, 'Wow, that's so far away and so much going on there.' It was always just someplace that spoke to me for whatever reasons."

The feeling is mutual.

At the 2005 figure skating world championships in Moscow, Russian fans welcomed Weir warmly.

"They clapped to my music, and it's slow music," he said. "They've been very supportive."

On the Grand Prix figure skating tour this season, he had throngs of admiring fans at the Cup of Russia in St. Petersburg.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#1]
that guy needs a swift bitch slap.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I think CCCP jackets are now "fashion" because I seen some people wear them around campus....
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I think he's already somebody's bitch.

He's going to make a move: Brokeback Skating Rink.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Male skater = gay.

So who cares?  It was a gift from some girl who felt safe around him.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#6]

I have one of those Soveit Ushankas.
I also have a Mosin-Nagant M44 - am I a bad man?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
so what?

Because he's a communist and his fame will give him a podium and hundreds if not thousands of sheep will emulate him.

That's why.

Communism is evil incarnate, anyone who decides to push that agenda is dangerous no matter how slight and faggy they may look.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I saw his interview, this kid is a self centered pompus ass.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:13:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I saw his interview, this kid is a self centered pompus ass.

Elite level athletes tend to be that way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top