Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/30/2006 8:20:17 AM EDT
US Military to test 700 ton explosive near Las Vegas...

The US military plans to detonate a 700 tonne explosive charge in a test called "Divine Strake" that will send a mushroom cloud over Las Vegas, a senior defense official said.

"I don't want to sound glib here but it is the first time in Nevada that you'll see a mushroom cloud over Las Vegas since we stopped testing nuclear weapons," said James Tegnelia, head of the Defense Threat Reduction Agency.

Tegnelia said the test was part of a US effort to develop weapons capable of destroying deeply buried bunkers housing nuclear, chemical or biological weapons.

"We have several very large penetrators we're developing," he told defense reporters.

"We also have -- are you ready for this - a 700-tonne explosively formed charge that we're going to be putting in a tunnel in Nevada," he said.

"And that represents to us the largest single explosive that we could imagine doing conventionally to solve that problem," he said.

The aim is to measure the effect of the blast on hard granite structures, he said.

"If you want to model these weapons, you want to know from a modeling point of view what is the ideal best condition you could ever set up in a conventional weapon -- what's the best you can do.

"And this gets at the best point you could get on a curve. So it allows us to predict how effective these kinds of weapons ... would be," he said.

He said the Russians have been notified of the test, which is scheduled for the first week of June at the Nevada test range.

"We're also making sure that Las Vegas understands," Tegnelia said.

www.breitbart.com/news/2006/03/30/060330162648.wxde5ocl.html
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:23:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a test of a conventional blast that would be replicated in the field using a tactical nuke.
Anyone know the cost of that much C4?

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:26:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
US Military to test 700 ton explosive near Las Vegas...

The US military plans to detonate a 700 tonne explosive charge in a test called "Divine Strake" that will send a mushroom cloud over Las Vegas, a senior defense official said.

"I don't want to sound glib here but it is the first time in Nevada that you'll see a mushroom cloud over Las Vegas since we stopped testing nuclear weapons," said James Tegnelia, head of the Defense Threat Reduction Agency.

Tegnelia said the test was part of a US effort to develop weapons capable of destroying deeply buried bunkers housing nuclear, chemical or biological weapons.

"We have several very large penetrators we're developing," he told defense reporters.

"We also have -- are you ready for this - a 700-tonne explosively formed charge that we're going to be putting in a tunnel in Nevada," he said.

"And that represents to us the largest single explosive that we could imagine doing conventionally to solve that problem," he said.

The aim is to measure the effect of the blast on hard granite structures, he said.

"If you want to model these weapons, you want to know from a modeling point of view what is the ideal best condition you could ever set up in a conventional weapon -- what's the best you can do.

"And this gets at the best point you could get on a curve. So it allows us to predict how effective these kinds of weapons ... would be," he said.

He said the Russians have been notified of the test, which is scheduled for the first week of June at the Nevada test range.

"We're also making sure that Las Vegas understands," Tegnelia said.

www.breitbart.com/news/2006/03/30/060330162648.wxde5ocl.html

That's 1.4million lbs of explosives!  How would we deliver a weapon of that size to Iran?

Let me be the first: Group Buy!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:27:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Sounds like a test of a conventional blast that would be replicated in the field using a tactical nuke.
Kharn

Actually, I was thinking the same thing...  What's the ground structure like in Iran?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:29:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Pics + Video is gonna be mandatory.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:32:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, they're not going to fit that in the weapons bay of a JSF.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:33:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Kharn

Actually, I was thinking the same thing...  What's the ground structure like in Iran?

Before or after the strike on them test?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:36:00 AM EDT
[#7]
That is a lot of Tannerite.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:36:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Well, they're not going to fit that in the weapons bay of a JSF.

But the SuperBug can carry it!

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:37:33 AM EDT
[#9]
The core
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:37:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Anyone know the cost of that much C4?

Kharn

I think you hit the unspoken point of this test. There is no delivery system for a bomb one tenth that size so it must be a proxy for the real thing. Nukes in this yield range are a reality.
Rich V
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:38:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Could we fix a Super Hornet to carry 87 of them?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:39:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Maybe we'll be lucky and there'll be an immigration protest next to the test site.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:48:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Maybe we'll be lucky and there'll be an immigration protest next to the test site.

Put an advertisment in all the papers for "free US Citizenship today" at the test site...
Also, invite all the liberals, and Ted Kennedy, Diane Swinestein and Russ Feingold...

Not to be racially insensitive, but all those idiots at the immigration reform rallies waving MEXICAN flags really chapped my ass :(

AC
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:04:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Are they actually testing an explosive (tactical nuclear proxy would be best guess) or is this a test of a kinetic harpoon impact?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#15]
They're gonna cause an earthquake that will flatten Las Vegas.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:10:31 AM EDT
[#16]

in a test called "Divine Strike"

That aught to rile them up.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:13:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I heard it was to help push California into the ocean.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:15:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll give up Vegas to get rid of Cali... we can always rebuild the city of sin.
Just kidding, RPKers.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:18:00 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Kharn

Nevada
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:19:04 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Just a thought, but could this really be a test of a secret "Rods of God" weapons system?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:19:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Sweet
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#22]
They should test it along the Mexican border
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:24:08 AM EDT
[#23]
How about two explosions that are timed micro seconds apart.  One a tactical nuke buried underground and the other a conventional surface explosive to hide it.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:25:09 AM EDT
[#24]
What kind of wagers are the bookies doing on this one?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:26:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just a thought, but could this really be a test of a secret "Rods of God" weapons system?

That was my thought above.  A kinetic harpoon of the discussed size would yield approx impact of 1kT.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:27:31 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Put an advertisment in all the papers for "free US Citizenship today" at the test site...
Also, invite all the liberals, and Ted Kennedy, Diane Swinestein and Russ Feingold...

Not to be racially insensitive, but all those idiots at the immigration reform rallies waving MEXICAN flags really chapped my ass :(

AC

What pissed me off the most is those fucksticks waving signs that said the U.S. is Mexican property.  Over... My... Dead... Body!

I wonder if the test is going to be broadcast on CNN then al Jazeera so the idiots in Iran get the hint?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting - the name could be a giveaway. (Though the original article called it "Divine Strake")
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:53:28 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting - the name could be a giveaway. (Though the original article called it "Divine Strake")

Which I changed because I figured it was a typo.

Strake: A single continuous line of planking or metal plating extending on a vessel's hull from stem to stern.

That, or the Iranians are about to lose all of their nuclear weapons in a tragic boating accident.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:00:13 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which I changed because I figured it was a typo.

Strake: A single continuous line of planking or metal plating extending on a vessel's hull from stem to stern.

That, or the Iranians are about to lose all of their nuclear weapons in a tragic boating accident.

Somehow all I can picture is Richard Dreyfuss in the aftermath proclaiming, "This was not a boating accident!"
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Cool shit
I predict it will be more than thisboom at princeton shoot
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:10:52 AM EDT
[#31]
I predict massive rallies and protests by libtards all around the area, resulting in the .gov doing it's usual routine of apologizing and the project being put on indefinite hold. I dunno that it'll go down that way... but they probably should've given a LITTLE less notice so the libtards wouldn't have had time to organize. Maybe the .gov should create an official protest area that happens to be above the detonation area...
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#32]
What is the density of C-4 or Ocotol (sp?) or whatever the likely explosive is?  That is a huge pile of whatever.  How do you detonate that much mass simultaneously?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:12:31 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shhh You'll have the Vegas people seeing glowing streaks in the sky.

Shortly before the mushroom... I might add.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:14:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Pics and video  will be needed for propper BDA
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:15:32 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
What is the density of C-4 or Ocotol (sp?) or whatever the likely explosive is?  That is a huge pile of whatever.  How do you detonate that much mass simultaneously?

You smack it into a large mass at a high rate of speed.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:16:12 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Cool shit

I remember that riding lawn mower
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:18:41 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Magnum primers?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:21:38 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cool shit

I remember that riding lawn mower

that was a fun day
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:23:04 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Kharn

Before or after the strike on them test?

I would guess, without any research, that Iran has all thee rock types (sedimentary, metamorphic, the ingenous) .  Having said that granite is a good material in which to build an underground bunker.

BTW I would also guess it isn't c-4.  More like a bulk granular explosive similar to the test they did in the 1980s.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:24:18 AM EDT
[#40]
700 ton bomb, i would love to see that go off!

Non Ideal Airblast Effects from Urban and Natural Terrain

Joe Crepeau, Charles Needham, ARA

Abstract:
Non-ideal airblast is produced from detonations over urban and natural terrain.  Mechanical effects of a blast wave reflecting off non-ideal surfaces produces shielding and channeling effects that may be considerably different than those from a detonation over an ideal surface.  Work in the area non-ideal airblast generated from urban and natural terrain is presented.

Divine Strake is a high-explosive (HE) test sponsored by the Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA) and is scheduled for the summer of 2006 at the Nevada Test Site (NTS).  The test is a detonation of a 700 ton buried heavy AN/FO charge above a tunnel structure.  The main purpose of the test is to study ground shock effects on deeply buried tunnel structures.  Of secondary interest is the airblast produced by a buried charge and its modification as it propagates over the local terrain.

Sandia National Laboratory (SNL) recently sponsored a number of computational fluid dynamics (CFD) airblast calculations of the upcoming event.  SNL contracted Applied Research Associates, Inc. (ARA) to perform two- and three-dimensional (2D and 3D) predictive airblast calculations for the test.  The CFD calculations were run with SHAMRC and characterize the airblast environments induced by the non-ideal charge configuration and the surrounding terrain.  They include 2D calculations with and without terrain and with a responding and non-responding ground model.  A single 3D calculation with a non-responding ground model was also completed. Results of the calculations provide test planners with environments that can be expected at instrumentation and test structure locationS. A single, 3D calculation with a realistic ground model is planned once the charge and detonation site details are finalized.

ARA has also completed several SHAMRC calculations investigating non-ideal airblast over urban and natural terrain under a contract with DTRA for the Near Surface Weapons Effects Tools – 3D (NSWET-3D), Airblast/Thermal task.  One set of calculations modeled a nuclear detonation in New York City.  The buildings were generated automatically from ArcView shapefiles, placed on a flat ground surface, and modeled as non-responding.  One of these calculations was run under the Capability Applications Project (CAP) sponsored by the Department of Defense (DoD) High Performance Computing Modernization Program (HPCMP).  Another set of calculations modeled the Smoky nuclear event at NTS.  The calculations included models of natural terrain, thermal heating of the terrain surface, and dust sweep-up from the surface.

www.saviac.org/76th_Symposium/Abstracts/L-33.htm
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll give up Vegas to get rid of Cali... we can always rebuild the city of sin.

Just kidding, RPKers.

NIMBY.............

Well, on second thought, that's *exactly* where I'd want it to go!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:27:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Tag.

-K
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:29:29 AM EDT
[#43]
This should be really cool.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:30:06 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
700 ton bomb, i would love to see that go off!

Non Ideal Airblast Effects from Urban and Natural Terrain

Joe Crepeau, Charles Needham, ARA

<snip>

Divine Strake is a high-explosive (HE) test sponsored by the Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA) and is scheduled for the summer of 2006 at the Nevada Test Site (NTS).  The test is a detonation of a 700 ton buried heavy AN/FO charge above a tunnel structure.  The main purpose of the test is to study ground shock effects on deeply buried tunnel structures.  Of secondary interest is the airblast produced by a buried charge and its modification as it propagates over the local terrain.

<snip>

www.saviac.org/76th_Symposium/Abstracts/L-33.htm

There's your granularity, JIMBEAM.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:33:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Compare this:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/iran/images/iran_map_nuke.gif

to this:

http://www.ngdir.ir/ThematicGeology/Geology.asp?#Nod

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Sounds impractical. Maybe this whole article is just to cover up an actual tactical nuke test. You go from a delivery system that takes a convoy of 2 1/2 ton trucks to a guy in a HUMVEE with a large suitcase.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Road trip?
SF campout?
Beer, folding chairs, sun glasses?

Would be fun to watch.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#48]

Pray tell, what is a 'Rods of God' weapon???......???
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

tag
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:20:58 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

tag

A heavy object dropped from a high altitude from an aircraft moving very very fast.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top