Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2002 9:09:54 AM EDT
We've all been suckered.

They spend billions of our taxes, make old men drop their pants and they feel up women, and what do we get?  The LAX Airport Shooting.

LAX Airport shooting:
- Egyptian gunman
- shooting Jews
- from the middle east

- we won't say it's terrorism.

Why?

We can't admit $$billions in "security" didn't work.

"Their" answer? MORE security!!!

Lol. It's just like gun control - if some fails, enact more. If that fails, more still!

Link Posted: 7/6/2002 9:17:35 AM EDT
[#1]
A killer who is willing to give his life for his cause is very difficult, nearly impossible, to stop.

As the guy at the El Al counter demonstrated, laws don't help. It takes someone willing to put the killer down like a dog in the dirt, and take a beating to do it, if necessary.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 9:19:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
We've all been suckered.

They spend billions of our taxes, make old men drop their pants and they feel up women, and what do we get?  The LAX Airport Shooting.

LAX Airport shooting:
- Egyptian gunman
- shooting Jews
- from the middle east

- we won't say it's terrorism.

Why?

"Their" answer? MORE security!!!

Lol. It's just like gun control - if some fails, enact more. If that fails, more still!

View Quote

Getting the message???
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 9:52:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 10:02:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Why is EL-AL the only airline in the U.S. that has armed security guards in civillian clothes.  This is the reason that the Egyptian gunman (terrorist) was stopped!
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 10:15:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Martyrs are very hard to stop. But my question is how does taking away finger nail clippers etc having an effect on stopping terrorists, other than justifying the billions of $$$ spent? Terrorists have the advantage of observing and watching for weaknesses, and expoiting them. Remember the old saying of "where there is a will, there is a way."
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 11:28:56 AM EDT
[#6]
So your solution is? less sucurity? what's your point? (do you have one?)
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 12:23:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

The point is Oceania is at war.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#8]
In my opinion, our government is at least partly responsible for the latest brand of "in-house" terrorism.

In the last few years, they've allowed many people to emigrate to the U.S. from countries and territories that simply [b]DO NOT LIKE US.[/b]  

Also, I've heard reported that there are around 300,000 people on various types of visas, currently in this country, that INS cannot find!

It seems to me that our own government has undermined our security with its loose immigration policies.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#9]
"At the end of the most grandiose plans and strategies is a soldier walking point."

--Harry G. Summers
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In my opinion, our government is at least partly responsible for the latest brand of "in-house" terrorism.

In the last few years, they've allowed many people to emigrate to the U.S. from countries and territories that simply [b]DO NOT LIKE US.[/b]  

Also, I've heard reported that there are around 300,000 people on various types of visas, currently in this country, that INS cannot find!

It seems to me that our own government has undermined our security with its loose immigration policies.
View Quote

And the airlines are instrumental in putting pressure on the gov't to not even actually APPLY airport procedures, letting questionables pass, to keep the waits down.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 1:36:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think most of us here get the message loud and clear but it's the rest of the population that doesn't seem to have a clue and doesn't seem to want one.
View Quote

Not only do they not have or want a clue, they will actively fight for the Government to take away a clue from people who have one.

I'd say the point is for security to stop confiscating nail clippers and strip searching old people, and start paying much closer attention to Arabs. It also wouldn't hurt if the INS/FBI got a clue and started cracking down on foreigners. We're spending billions of taxpayer dollars looking in the wrong places, and there is still nothing stopping another 9/11 style terrorist attack.

Are martyrs really that hard to stop? I have heard of several instances in Isreal where would-be martyrs were stopped by concealed-carrry citizens. This is what it takes. If the government will not allow this, then maybe that's part of the problem.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

With Eurasia, right?  Or is it, umm...  This is confusing!

-Troy
View Quote

You must be some kind of Eastasian spy!

Oceania is at war with Eastasia and ALWAYS HAS BEEN.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#14]
You will also notice that the pussy mayor of LA started right away with "there are too many guns out there..., etc."  

All the measures are bs.  The ElAl guard did the most that is possible.  And, I suspect he sustained more injury than necessary because he had to hesitate for an instant because of all the nonsense regulations he would expect to face.  Yes, minus the b.s. regulations, if one of us were there with a legal ccw, and some experience, there would have been one more gun on the side of the right.  But, we all know how the spin on all this will go.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

With Eurasia, right?  Or is it, umm...  This is confusing!

-Troy
View Quote

You must be some kind of Eastasian spy!

Oceania is at war with Eastasia and ALWAYS HAS BEEN.
View Quote

But war is peace!
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

[b]My Solutions[/b]

- no more feel good "security"
- arm the pilots
- allow CCW holders to carry aboard
- national CCW
- profile real terrorists - young arab men
- secure our borders
- track immigrants on visas

[b]My Point(s)[/b]

- the American public has been suckered
- the so called Security Improvements are a joke
- the billions of $$ we are spending are wasted
- the countless hours lost due to increased "security" is a waste

[b]Why "Security" is a joke"[/b]

- searching 3 year olds won't stop anything
- searching 90 year olds won't either

- the next terrorist won't use shoe bombs.  It's a waste of time making me take my shoes off.  Duh.

- I've flown over 100 flights.  I've got a National Security Clearance.  I'm a CCW holder.  I'M NOT THE TERRORIST.  LEAVE ME ALONE.  Go after the real bad guys.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#17]
If it happened inside the security gate we would have something to complain about. But it happened outside the gate, which is no different than if it happened in the Sear's parking lot or inside Wally World. Those areas are unprotected.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Those areas are unprotected.
View Quote

Random Checkpoints will cure that.......
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Just like they [i]solve[/i] drunk driving, right?
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Absa-certainly.......Don't you see? Random check-points would make us FEEL safer??
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Absa-certainly.......Don't you see? Random check-points would make us FEEL safer??
View Quote

Yep.

Say, isn't this where Barry Manilow breaks out in a verse of "Feelings........"?

Well, it's for the children, afterall.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 7:31:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Heh, Heh...
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:41:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

[b]My Solutions[/b]

- arm the pilots
- national CCW
- secure our borders
View Quote

Which one of these would have stopped the July 5th incident?
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:51:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did this guy take a plane and fly it into a building?  Nope.

Did he kill many people?  Nope.

Was what he did preventable?  Nope.

Unless you would suggest searching EVERY car that enters the airport, you are dead wrong on the security measures having no effect.  They killed this guy after he shot 2, not 20!  Think about how long it would take for you to kill 15 people with 2 pistols, they got him very fast!
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:54:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

No matter how many cuts I make, this fvcking board is still too short!  
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:54:55 AM EDT
[#26]
The only one that might have stopped the LAX murders would have been keeping middle eastern terrorist moslems OUT of the country!!  These people are the enemy - we are at war.

Very difficult to prevent in truth.  There will be more.  Hopefully (but unlikely) our response will be as good as the security guys was!  

I am in favor of deporting ALL of these creeps!
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#27]

DON'T YOU SEE?!  Thanks to our AWBan, the shooter had a limited capacity magazine so he didn't kill more than 10 Jews.  The airport didn't have face recognition technology either.  If it had, they computers would have recognized the shooter as the guy who was not going along with his normal daily habits that have been logged with the security cameras throughout the city so the computers should've knowned he was dangerous because he was middle-eastern and they are known to hate Jews and have interests in handling firearms which should've been found anyway b/c they should strip search anyone who comes anywhere near an airport and look for weapons and if the gun would have been registered to the gov't in a billion dollar system the cameras in the terminal could have matched the rifling grooves in the projectile when it was flying through the air with a registered ballistic fingerprint so the security system could have zapped the bullet in mid air with billion dollar laser system before it hit its target
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 9:32:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Unless you would suggest searching EVERY car that enters the airport, you are dead wrong on the security measures having no effect.  They killed this guy after he shot 2, not 20!  Think about how long it would take for you to kill 15 people with 2 pistols, they got him very fast!
View Quote

Actually, you're incorrect here by suggesting the armed security guard was in any way a result of 9/11.  El Al is still the ONLY airline to employ armed guards, and THAT is the reason only two died instead of twenty.

9/11-inspired security was completely useless in this instance--including, it seems, the "your papers please" security in order to park.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[b]My Solutions[/b]

- arm the pilots
- national CCW
- secure our borders
View Quote

Which one of these would have stopped the July 5th incident?
View Quote

[b]These would have had an effect[/b] (stop it from happening or ensuring the shooter is stopped quickly)

Profiling

CCW

Securing our borders

Tracking immigrants (we tried to deport this guy before)
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#30]

[b]These would have had an effect[/b] (stop it from happening or ensuring the shooter is stopped quickly)

Profiling

CCW

Securing our borders

View Quote

I don't see how this would have stopped the attack.  Profiling - the guy wasn't on a plane, he hadn't passed thru a check point, he was at a ticket counter, no different then if he had been at a Circle K or Bank counter.  Unless you set up a checkpoint at the entrance to the airport and "closely monitor" the young Arab males, it won't do any good.  Besides, what aspect of profiling would have prevented this?  He didn't have any warning signs.  

CCW- I don't see how this would have affected it either.  There already were some people there armed with weapons and they got him pretty quickly.  You had mentoined how the sercurity guard was concerned about regulations.  I don't think a person is going to think about this when shots are being fired.  You were not there, I was not there so no one can say what the situation was and why they allowed the guy to fire off 10 to 12 shots (which probably took what, 5 to 6 seconds?)  The news story did say that two security guards and a cilivian or two wrestled with him for awhile, it's possible they couldn't fire right away because too many friendlies were right next to him.  He was the fourth person in line when he started to fire, probably not a good situation for the sercurity guards as they probably were concerned (rightfully so) about firing into a crowd but again I am not going to make a blanket judgement since I was not there.  

Securing our borders - Shooter was here on a legal visa, he was a 10 year resident of California.  How could you secure the border against a guy who has lived here for 10 years legally?  What reason would we have for preventing this guy from living here in 1992?  He appears in police files three times, once for a domestic dispute in 1996 and twice he was the victim, once of a robbery and once of a fraud.  Not a whole lot there to cause any suspicsions.  How would tracking immigrants help in this case?  What would they track him and what did he do to get deported or get arrested?  nothing.  Even if they had FBI agents following him 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, it still would not have prevented this.  
How about we come up with some real sercurity that will do something instead of just coming up with some feel good laws that do not address the issues here?

Link Posted: 7/7/2002 12:19:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Dunno what all the fuss is about - this seems so simple.  The Mayor said the US was founded on Liberty, Security and Diversity.  The hate criminal avoided deportation via the Diversity Lottery, so that's good.  Since there's lots of Liberty still left in California, you guys could always just trade more essential Liberty for some temporary Security.  That way Diversity wouldn't be negatively affected and the children would probably be much safer.  [;)]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 1:04:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Profiling

CCW

Securing our borders

View Quote

I don't see how this would have stopped the attack.  Profiling - the guy wasn't on a plane, he hadn't passed thru a check point, he was at a ticket counter, no different then if he had been at a Circle K or Bank counter.  Unless you set up a checkpoint at the entrance to the airport and "closely monitor" the young Arab males, it won't do any good.
View Quote
But he wasn't young, he was 41(?) Not a "typical" arab terrorist profile, so a even profiling wouldn't have worked.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 1:08:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I don't see how this would have stopped the attack.  Profiling - the guy wasn't on a plane, he hadn't passed thru a check point, he was at a ticket counter, no different then if he had been at a Circle K or Bank counter.  Unless you set up a checkpoint at the entrance to the airport and "closely monitor" the young Arab males, it won't do any good.
View Quote
But he wasn't young, he was 41(?) Not a "typical" arab terrorist profile, so a even profiling wouldn't have worked.
View Quote

That was exactly my point, thanks Avtomat
People critize the security we have and then come up with their own solutions which won't do anything.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#34]
if it aint from america, it needs not be here!
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:00:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

You a direct decendant of people who crossed the land bridge or something?

If not, you're just an immigrant like the rest of us, so shut your pie hole.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:01:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You a direct decendant of people who crossed the land bridge or something?

If not, you're just an immigrant like the rest of us, so shut your pie hole.
View Quote

I don't know about you, but I was born here. The times they are a changin.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 4:12:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That was exactly my point, thanks Avtomat
People critize the security we have and then come up with their own solutions which won't do anything.
View Quote

Even if my solutions wouldn't work, I'm not wrong to critize.

Why are we spending billions of dollars, shredding our rights, deeming travels, wasting countless productive hours, all for so called "security" that doesn't work.

For those that think the goal of security is to secure the plane, I guess it's a success (this time).

For those who's friends or relatives get killed in the ticketing area, I'd bet they would call "security" an resolute failure.  

Isn't all this "security" supposed to make the flyer safe?  It hasn't, and it won't.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top