Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2002 4:16:50 PM EDT
I'm watching the BHD special on the History channel...and everytime I see a tank or some of the personnel trucks have an upside down "V" on them. What this signify? I've seen them on the Bosnian tanks and Desert Storm vehicles..never new what the V stood for?

Thanks,
[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Since there isn't a shiny side,

perhaps......

This side up? ?  

I'm an aviation guy; I just couldn't resist!

Semper Fi
Dave
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Your answer dosn't hold much water GunnyG. I've seen the "V"s pointing forward and rearwards too.

But I don't know what their purpose is.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#3]
If I remember correctly, this was implemented during the Gulf War to help prevent friendly fire incidents. The "V" is made of a material that is highly visible by InfraRed sensors and is used to identify friendly troops. I think it was put into place after the A10 fired on the Canadian APC.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#4]
The V is used to designate different companies in a battalion. It is not IR paint unless things have changed since 1994 when I got out. The system is this; Regular V=A co.
V pointy side forward=Bco, Pointy up=C co, Pointy left D co, II HQ co, II on its side is E co. This may not be correct for all units, but it is the convention I recall forom the 24th ID.
Edited to add, I guess this means ignorant=Naked-Gunman now.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Ignorant...no. Requesting knowledge..yes.

Acidic replies, not necessary.

Link Posted: 8/4/2002 5:14:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought it was a friend or foe marker.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll defer to Poikilotrm. My explaination was based on heresay and a bad memory.

It never seemed to make much sense that the vehicles would be marked to distinguish friendly forces in a way that could be easily duplicated by the enemy.

Edited so that sentence made sense!
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ignorant...no. Requesting knowledge..yes.

Acidic replies, not necessary.

View Quote

Hey don't be so thin skinned! Remember, you are the one who, in a blanket fashion, called me ignorant every time I read one of your posts. Remember your sig line? ignorant=you? Hmmm?
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 7:13:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess poikilotrm = rectal/cranial inversion.  Why the hell would expect someone outside of the service to now the info you shared?
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey slt223, shut your fuckhole. If you reference my reply, and if you had paid attention before, you would know to whta I was referring. Who pulled your fucking string anyway?
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#11]
poik,
You have the wrong naked...I have no idea what you are talking about.

Link Posted: 8/4/2002 7:29:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh-oh...this must be the first flamefest on the new board.

So I'm calling the first IBTL. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
poik,
You have the wrong naked...I have no idea what you are talking about.

View Quote

Oh. Sorry. You aren't the naked gunman who had something about bullet weight in your sig line that ended with ignorant=you? Thought you were, my apologies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top