Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2011 5:10:51 AM EDT
Just curious, Thanks, Bill
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:18:37 AM EDT
[#1]
For the most part, no.  The new bayonet has replaced both the old bayonet and the ka-bar.

ETA:

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:21:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
For the most part, no.  The new bayonet has replaced both the old bayonet and the k-bar.

ETA:

http://www.outinstyle.com/Merchant2/graphics/products/detail/RCO-3275_d.jpg

That picture somewhat supports what I have heard as far as that the USMC essentially modified the KA-BAR into a bayonet, which is what that picture seems to show
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:29:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For the most part, no.  The new bayonet has replaced both the old bayonet and the k-bar.

ETA:

http://www.outinstyle.com/Merchant2/graphics/products/detail/RCO-3275_d.jpg

That picture somewhat supports what I have heard as far as that the USMC essentially modified the KA-BAR into a bayonet, which is what that picture seems to show
Pretty much, although it's not made by Ka-bar, even though it looks like one; it's made by Ontario Knife Company in New York.

I'm not too familiar with the history of this bayonet, but it seems Systems Command's intent was to combine the fighting knife with the bayonet.

Traditional ka-bars might still get issued to those Marines who are only issued an M9 (and therefore wouldn't need a bayonet), but nowadays it's rare for anyone to deploy without an M16 or M4.

Someone with more recent deployment experience can chime in.  I was issued the old bayonet and a ka-bar when I deployed to Iraq in 2005.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top