Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/3/2005 7:09:20 PM EDT
Semper Fi!!!

August 08, 2005

Air winger sets new range record

By Gidget Fuentes
Times staff writer

OCEANSIDE, Calif. — Talk about the one that got away.
Ask Cpl. Drue Overby, and he’ll tell you it was pretty close.

One of Overby’s shots, fired from the 200-yard line at Camp Pendleton’s Wilcox Range, hit in the black on the target, but it was just outside the 12-inch circle that would have netted him two points.

Had that round hit inside the circle, the 24-year-old helicopter crew chief and machine gunner would have walked away with a perfect score of 65.

Even so, the 64 points he tallied June 30 is one for the record books — it’s the new rifle range high and 12 points higher than the score of 52 that Overby logged in 2003, the last time he had fired the M16.

The previous range record holder, Overby was told, was a chief warrant officer who shot a 63.

Range officials confirmed that Overby is the new record holder.

“I did everything right. It just worked out,” said Overby, who flies in UH-1N Hueys and also works on the AH-1W Super Cobra with Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron 367 at Camp Pendleton.

“I was just happy to make expert,” he added.

Scores in the 60s during requalification are considered uncommon and catch the attention of range personnel and marksmanship coaches.

At Camp Lejeune, N.C., Cpl. David Sickles of Newell, Pa., scored a 62 on Alpha Range at the Stone Bay rifle range the week of July 11. He beat the top scorers on Bravo and Charlie ranges by six and five points, respectively, according to base spokesmen.

Overby, of Moon Township, Pa., was at a loss for words on how he was able to boost his score by a dozen points.

A feeling of confidence

Although he fired his Huey-mounted .50-caliber machine gun often while in Iraq, Overby said that didn’t help his rifle marksmanship.

It might stem instead from a greater feeling of confidence that he can’t put his finger on easily.

“I’ve been going to the civilian ranges a lot — just pistol shooting, though,” he said. “I never really touched a 16.”

During his week at Wilcox, Overby said, he chalked up scores of 54, 55 and 56 before qualification day.

“There was a little more wind out there on qualifying day,” he recalled.

When he missed that shot at the 200-yard line, Overby wasn’t sure that he was on track for a new high score. But as he worked his way to the 300-yard line and sent rounds downrange that were right on the mark, Overby started to realize that he was shooting extremely well.

“The coaches were ecstatic,” he said of the instructors on the range that day. “They were really excited, more so than I was.”

Jokingly, the instructors told him they couldn’t believe “an air winger got the record,” he said.

Several times in recent weeks, Overby said, the thought of that lone point he just missed creeps into his mind.

“I was kind of upset that I had dropped that one.”
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:14:22 PM EDT
Reminds me of the door gunner from FullMetal Jacket

"How can you shoot women and children?"
"Easy you just don't lead'm so much"

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:15:23 PM EDT
Marines are known for their shooting skills, thats for sure.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:16:00 PM EDT

“I’ve been going to the civilian ranges a lot — just pistol shooting, though,” he said. “I never really touched a 16.”

Along with the fact that Kali does everything in their power to discourage you from current Military Style firearms.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:17:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jkstexas2001:

Sight Alingment, Sight Picture....Squeeze the trigger.

You never forget it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:24:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ZitiForBreakfast:

Sight Alingment, Sight Picture....Squeeze the trigger.

You never forget it.

BRASS-F
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:28:41 PM EDT
Here's another Marine noted for his ability with a rifle:

Close up of the 1 MOA X ring:
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:36:15 PM EDT
There ain't nothin else to do at 29 Palms BUT shoot, so its not surprising they are so good at shootin over there....
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:39:41 PM EDT

There ain't nothin else to do at 29 Palms BUT shoot, so its not surprising they are so good at shootin over there....

So I've heard. "The Stumps"
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:45:32 PM EDT
Hmm.. notice the common home state of the high scorers?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:46:16 PM EDT
Wow, that's pretty impressive. It's hard enough to get into the 50's, but a 64? That's pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:49:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SciFiNut:

Except that the civilian version of the sport is dying there since a) no one can buy new ARs, b) no one can pass on their AR, and c) junior shooters CANNOT even touch an AR.

Fuck that damned state.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:59:46 PM EDT
Breathe
Relax
Aim
Stop
Squeeze
Airwingers get a bad wrap, but riding in a rotary wing aircraft beats the hell out of humping.

Swing with the wing.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:04:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SWO_daddy:

Except that the civilian version of the sport is dying there since a) no one can buy new ARs, b) no one can pass on their AR, and c) junior shooters CANNOT even touch an AR.

Fuck that damned state.

Ummm... Read again..
Both high scorers mentioned are from Pennsylvania. The 2nd is still alive and well here..
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:53:05 AM EDT
Airwingers get a bad wrap, but riding in a rotary wing aircraft beats the hell out of humping.

Swing with the wing.

Man, when I left the grunts to go the the wing, I worked 'harder' in the wing than i ever did in the grunts.....There were several times on the wing dipping tanks or on an engine stand in some POS 3rd world country where I said, "Man, I miss the old life...."

But then we always (usually) flew somewhere else after dropping the cargo/ troops or whatever off and spent the nite or next few days somewhere nice.....
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:03:04 AM EDT

Here's another Marine noted for his ability with a rifle:
www.zediker.com/books/ar15/dennis640.jpg

Close up of the 1 MOA X ring:
www.zediker.com/books/ar15/rfrecord640.jpg

[smartass]Would be WAY more impressive if he shot that with a rack grade service rifle[/smartass]

Thats some damn fine shooting

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:05:10 AM EDT

Fuck that damned state.

How about none of them, unless PA has gotten as bad as Kali.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:06:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By KA3B:
Semper Fi!!!

August 08, 2005

By Gidget Fuentes

Gidget?

At Camp Lejeune, N.C., Cpl. David Sickles of Newell, Pa., (PITTSBURGH)scored a 62 on Alpha Range at the Stone Bay rifle range the week of July 11. He beat the top scorers on Bravo and Charlie ranges by six and five points, respectively, according to base spokesmen.

Overby, of Moon Township, Pa., (PITTSBURGH)was at a loss for words on how he was able to boost his score by a dozen points.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:56:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Merrell:

Originally Posted By KA3B:
Semper Fi!!!

August 08, 2005

By Gidget Fuentes

Gidget?

At Camp Lejeune, N.C., Cpl. David Sickles of Newell, Pa., (PITTSBURGH)scored a 62 on Alpha Range at the Stone Bay rifle range the week of July 11. He beat the top scorers on Bravo and Charlie ranges by six and five points, respectively, according to base spokesmen.

Overby, of Moon Township, Pa., (PITTSBURGH)was at a loss for words on how he was able to boost his score by a dozen points.

Perhaps Pittsburgh has a higher lead content in the water supply, explaining the number of good shooters coming from there.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:10:37 AM EDT
Damn, that's impressive
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:20:08 AM EDT
A couple of the civilian ranges near Moon township boast long distances. Greater Pitt has a 400 meter range and BVRP has a 300 yard range.
Always see a Black Rifle or two there.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:38:52 AM EDT
whos the dude at 29 palms?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:18:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By treemydawg:
whos the dude at 29 palms?

I believe that's CWO Dennis Demille. He is currently the general manager at Creedmoor. I attended a highpower seminar at Pendleton after he fired that record rapid sitting score - a 300 with 28Xs I think. He seemed very modest. He gave a talk on the basics of the sitting position and when he was done he said "feel free to try whatever you want, but this has worked pretty well for me." Never once mentioned his shooting accomplishments.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:05:21 PM EDT
I had the honor to travel with some Marine Snipers in 1998. They referred to their craft as "Uncle Sam's Long Distance Calling Card". You won't find a finer group of people than Marine Corp Snipers.
Top Top