Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2006 12:27:59 PM EDT
Before the ban expired, I bought at an outrageous price some Pre-ban Okay and Sanchez mags in sealed wrappers. This was partially as protection against not being able to get 30rounders one day, and partially as an investment.

Is there any reason now not to open the wrappers and use them. Would they have any collector value one day now that the ban has ended? I say no, I should rip open these overpriced babies.

What do you say?

M4-AK
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Leave them sealed, and sell them to people in NY, CA, NJ, CT, MA etc. They will appreciate it. Just don't hose them.

ETA: Then with the money you receive from that, buy brand new ones for yourself.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Use them IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:30:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you need them?  I have a huge collection of 60's M14 magazines still in the brown wrap and sealed plastic.  I think the value went down after the ban ended, but I have a good number that are and have been open, so I figure I will just use these and hold onto those..

Dan
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:30:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I say sell or trade them for new noban mags to someone in NY.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:32:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Leave them sealed, and sell them to people in NY, CA, NJ, CT, MA etc. They will appreciate it. Just don't hose them.

ETA: Then with the money you receive from that, buy brand new ones for yourself.

CT has no mag ban. They are illegal in CA and NJ.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:32:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1

You can always get as many no-ban mags as you want, now, aside from in the above-mentioned states. Make sure your price will cover the cost of more new ones for yourself to make it feasible.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

That is what I have done with all my pre-ban GLOCK mags.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:37:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Leave them sealed, and sell them to people in NY, CA, NJ, CT, MA etc. They will appreciate it. Just don't hose them...

That is what I had planned to do, but I posted here more than once asking someone to post specific info/links re: the legality of selling/shipping such magazines to the states in question and still haven't gotten an adequate answer.

I'm sitting on a pile of NIW "pre-ban" USGI AR mags (plus "pre-ban" mags for numerous pistol platforms) and would be willing to trade 1:1 for new-production ones, but I'm not willing to risk legal woes for my troubles...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:39:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CT has no mag ban. They are illegal in CA and NJ.

Damn I hope not as I have over a hundred of them

You know what I meant.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe this would be better dealt with on the EE but how much would you be asking for them? I spend a lot of time in a ban state (MA)
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Leave them sealed, and sell them to people in NY, CA, NJ, CT, MA etc. They will appreciate it. Just don't hose them...

That is what I had planned to do, but I posted here more than once asking someone to post specific info/links re: the legality of selling/shipping such magazines to the states in question and still haven't gotten an adequate answer.

I'm sitting on a pile of NIW "pre-ban" USGI AR mags (plus "pre-ban" mags for numerous pistol platforms) and would be willing to trade 1:1 for new-production ones, but I'm not willing to risk legal woes for my troubles...

If they were manufactured prior to 09-14-1994 they are LEGAL to posses in NY.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't see why it would be a problem, although I'm not a lawyer. Pre-ban mags are legal here, but they really price-gouge for them in the gun stores (because they can).

Post-ban hi-caps are NOT legal in NY. That's where you could get into trouble.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:44:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I don't see why it would be a problem, although I'm not a lawyer. Pre-ban mags are legal here, but they really price-gouge for them in the gun stores (because they can).

Post-ban hi-caps are NOT legal in NY. That's where you could get into trouble.

So whats the going rate on them at gun shows?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#16]
With all the cheap new teflon/green follower new production mags available, I can't see any shortage of pre-ban mags being available to people in the Amerika States. I just don't think anyone today would want to pay a premium for new in wrapper prebans. I paid $35.00 each for some of them and I just can't imagine the demand being high enough for me to dream of getting my money back.

Don't you just think I should use them and forget about the trouble?

M4-AK
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:48:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are the newly made ones still having a date stamped on them?  If so, are all mags with no date stamp presumed to be "pre-ban/legal" in NY?  

In mass I would NOT play that game. The authorities have repeatedly shown a willingness to prosecute to the fullest extent of the law people who are otherwise not criminals and made very minor violations of the law.

Plus its mandatory 5 years in jail for each count of breaking the ban. It ain't worth it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
With all the cheap new teflon/green follower new production mags available, I can't see any shortage of pre-ban mags being available to people in the Amerika States. I just don't think anyone today would want to pay a premium for new in wrapper prebans. I paid $35.00 each for some of them and I just can't imagine the demand being high enough for me to dream of getting my money back.

M4-AK

Advertise them as PRE-BAN USGI and sell them to people in a ban state. DO NOT WASTE THEM!!! You won't be able to get 35 per mag but it is something you could do to help your fellow gun owners. You could definitely get more than the current price for no-ban USGI mags.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:54:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

M4-AK

Advertise them as PRE-BAN USGI and sell them to people in a ban state. DO NOT WASTE THEM!!! You won't be able to get 35 per mag but it is something you could do to help your fellow gun owners. You could definitely get more than the current price for no-ban USGI mags.

Yeah, but I bet most on ARFCOM have a pile of used pre bans at home they could send to our Amerikan brothers. I just can't see me getting much of a premium for in wrapper now that new production is available for most of us. They were somewhat valuable when all of us were looking at a dwindling supply. Today that just isn't true. Besides, I've only got ten of them NIW anyway.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Can someone make it clear what states other than NY need pre-ban mags?

I bought my AR going on 4 years ago. At that time NIW USGI mags were selling like hot cakes in the EE for around $25-$30. I got addicted to buying them. I have a huge tub of them unopened that I do not need.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:57:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

M4-AK

Yeah, but I bet most on ARFCOM have a pile of used pre bans at home they could send to our Amerikan brothers. I just can't see me getting much of a premium for in wrapper now that new production is available for most of us. They were somewhat valuable when all of us were looking at a dwindling supply. Today that just isn't true.

M4-AK

I think people will be willing to pay more for NIW mags. USED is a term that can mean anything from barely used to worthless crap. I know it puts me off when I am looking for things (like mags) that can experiance a lot of wear.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:58:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are the newly made ones still having a date stamped on them?  If so, are all mags with no date stamp presumed to be "pre-ban/legal" in NY?  

As long as their are no distinguishing markings or control numbers and the manufacturer was in business and produced the specific mag prior to 09-94 they should be considered preban. Noban non-marked Glock Mags are easily identified by the placement of the caliber markings on them.

In any case the person who is in possession of the mags within NYS would be at risk of being charged and prosecuted.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:58:23 PM EDT
[#23]
There should be a pre-ban trade or sale section on the EE. I feel like a lot of people have stocks of preban stuff and don't realize how much some other people want it. It would make it much easier for these people to find each other.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I guess the question is, what would someone in the Amerikan held states pay as a premium for NIW black follower dry film mags vs good condition used mags. I suspect only a few bucks.

What do you think?

M4-AK
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:01:48 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I guess the question is, what would someone in the Amerikan held states pay as a premium for NIW black follower dry film mags vs good condition used mags. I suspect only a few bucks.

What do you think?

M4-AK

Hard to say, I'm guessing for NIW usgi mags with black followers you could get 20 bucks a mag. Other thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:04:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In mass I would NOT play that game. The authorities have repeatedly shown a willingness to prosecute to the fullest extent of the law people who are otherwise not criminals and made very minor violations of the law.

Plus its mandatory 5 years in jail for each count of breaking the ban. It ain't worth it.

I'm not sure about that. The MA law uses the 94 federal ban as a reference...

“Large capacity feeding device”, (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term “large capacity feeding device” shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition".

www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-121.htm

`(4) If a person charged with violating paragraph (1) asserts that paragraph (1) does not apply to such person because of paragraph (2) or (3), the Government shall have the burden of proof to show that such paragraph (1) applies to such person. The lack of a serial number as described in section 923(i) of title 18, United States Code, shall be a presumption that the large capacity ammunition feeding device is not subject to the prohibition of possession in paragraph (1).'.

thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c103:1:./temp/~c103VUtsv5:e650830:

Not that it means they wouldn't try to prosecute someone for having unkmarked mags wher the date of manufacture is in question.

FWIW, there's currently a bill in the MA senate that would require registration of all currently/legally owned "large capacity ammunition feeding devices".
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:07:31 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not sure about that. The MA law uses the 94 federal ban as a reference...

“Large capacity feeding device”, (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term “large capacity feeding device” shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition".

www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-121.htm

`(4) If a person charged with violating paragraph (1) asserts that paragraph (1) does not apply to such person because of paragraph (2) or (3), the Government shall have the burden of proof to show that such paragraph (1) applies to such person. The lack of a serial number as described in section 923(i) of title 18, United States Code, shall be a presumption that the large capacity ammunition feeding device is not subject to the prohibition of possession in paragraph (1).'.

thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c103:1:./temp/~c103VUtsv5:e650830:

Not that it means they wouldn't try to prosecute someone for having unkmarked mags wher the date of manufacture is in question.

FWIW, there's currently a bill in the MA senate that would require registration of all currently/legally owned "large capacity ammunition feeding devices".

Thanks, I didn't know that. But I also wouldn't put it past the attorney general AT ALL to press such a thing as far as possible.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:09:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
There should be a pre-ban trade or sale section on the EE. I feel like a lot of people have stocks of preban stuff and don't realize how much some other people want it. It would make it much easier for these people to find each other.

There has been a tacked thread in the Mag Section of EE for a while now, I've just been wary of the legal implications.  For example:

Quoted:

Yes, but is it legal for me (a private citizen) to sell them to an individual there & ship them there?  

(Maybe I'm just worrying too much... but I don't want to lose all of my guns because of some stupid legal technicality. )
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There has been a tacked thread in the Mag Section of EE for a while now, I've just been wary of the legal implications.  For example:

Quoted:

Yes, but is it legal for me (a private citizen) to sell them to an individual there & ship them there?  

(Maybe I'm just worrying too much... but I don't want to lose all of my guns because of some stupid legal technicality. )

I entirely understand the feeling, and to be perfectly honest I have never fully read the Mass general laws myself. However, every source I have ever checked stated very simply that the mag just had to be made prior to 9-14-1994. There is no requirement for it to be in possession by any certain person at any certain time or place. I have bought "pre-ban" mags from people in other states and online company times several times in the past. As far as I know, the mass law is worded identically to the federal law except there is no sunset provision. I don't know how the laws in CT or CA work.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Yes it is legal for you to ship them to someone in NYS. The NYS AWB is a mirror of the expired Federal AWB and if your mags were legal under the Federal Ban then they are legal today in NY.

NYC has it's own mag restrictions that are separate and apart from the NYS AWB so you should avoid shipping them to someone who resides in NYC.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:20:24 PM EDT
[#31]
There are no magazine restrictions in Connecticut!!!!!

Connecticut does not restrict the possession of ANY magazine!!!!

People in Connecticut can buy newly manufactured marked or unmarked magazines.

The State of Connecticut NEVER had a limit on magazine capacity.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I'll trade you one for one with D&H Teflon coated mags.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:26:34 PM EDT
[#33]
here is the exact wording of the mass general law:

Chapter 140: Section 131M. Assault weapon or large capacity feeding device not lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994; sale, transfer or possession; punishment

Section 131M. No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Whoever not being licensed under the provisions of section 122 violates the provisions of this section shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and for a second offense, by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than five years nor more than 15 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to: (i) the possession by a law enforcement officer for purposes of law enforcement; or (ii) the possession by an individual who is retired from service with a law enforcement agency and is not otherwise prohibited from receiving such a weapon or feeding device from such agency upon retirement.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I'll trade you one for one with D&H Teflon coated mags.

I'd also be willing to buy some at this price.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There has been a tacked thread in the Mag Section of EE for a while now, I've just been wary of the legal implications.

I don't see it. Must be gone now?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:49:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:07:44 AM EDT
[#37]
I think I'm gonna snip the wrappers.

M4-AK

edited to say: I just took them out of my storage box. 8 Center Industries, 2 Adventure line. I paid $25.00 each for the adventure line and $35.00 each for the Center industries. Bought the Center Mags from Alpha Trading Company.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top