Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2002 6:00:27 PM EDT
today, i was in carters country looking at mags.  over priced i think.  $50 for "center corperation" mags.   30 rounders.  anyone know where i can get USGI mags in houston?  will is say USGI on them or what will it say on the bottom?
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:06:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Center, Okay, and Parsons. (to name a few)

They won't Say "USGI" but they stand apart from any aftermarket jobs.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:07:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:14:53 PM EDT
[#3]
You guys forgot to mention that Colt also makes (made) USGI mags...I happen to own a few.  

IMHO, these are a small step above the Parsons, Center industries, OK Industries, etc.  

BUT, any of the above still makes a damn fine mag.  

Avoid Thermomelt, Jamline, and USA (shame on them for disgracing the USA with their crappy products) mags like the clap.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:21:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Pics here of one type of mag NOT to buy. After seeing this you will not want a USA mag in your inventory.
[url]http://communities.msn.com/unatco[/url]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Guys, I know most  USA mags.
But I have 12 30 rounders with no problems.
And 10 40 rounders. I had two of them give me problems so I marked them and tossed them.

I have ran them through both my post and pre ban Colts, and emptied them out in a M16 with no problems at all.

So out of 22, only two of them had issues.
Of coarse none of my USGI mags have been bad,
But considering the price of the cheap USA mags,
I don't feel they are all that bad.
Just my opinion.
I get my USA mags at Cheaper than Dirt.
View Quote

since you have so many, how about sending me a couple![:D]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:30:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You guys forgot to mention that Colt also makes (made) USGI mags...I happen to own a few.  

IMHO, these are a small step above the Parsons, Center industries, OK Industries, etc.
View Quote

Colt 30's are made by Okay.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Colt mags are in no way, shape or form better than other G.I. mags.  I don't even think they were made by Colt anyway.  I would not pay more moeny for a mag just because it is "COLT."
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:52:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Guys, Colt never made magazines.  Check out this link and you'll see who makes the magazines and which company is the best.

[url]www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/magazines/makerinfo.html[/url]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 11:00:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I have had good luck with thermolds.

High cap mags are the weak link in the chain of self defense because of the stupid AW ban. I try to buy good quality AR-15 mags whenever I can  because once they are gone we will all be stuck with the 10 rounders as replacements and have to start practicing quick reloads.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 6:42:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Forgot to mention that my "Colt" marked mags are LEO/Military.

They do say "Colt" on both the mag body and the baseplate.  

I stand by my statement that these mags are marginally better than the other GI brands.  Not that it is crucial, but the fit betweem baseplate and body, and other tolerances, feel much more consistent on the Colt mags.  Not to mention that the finish on my Colt mags seems different (in a better way) than my OK mags and other USGI mags.    

Obviously whatever works best is what should be used, but for my $$$, any USGI mag would be fine...so long as the mag has a green follower (or you add one yourself). ---See Computer Guy for these, he sells 'em cheap and ships fast.  

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 6:47:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I believe that Sanchez also had a 'gubment' mag contract at one time- they seem like decent mags, but not quite as good as a Colt or an Okay mag.  

To clarify further, "USGI Mag" doesn't mean that it says "USGI" anywhere on the mag!  
  You need to know what companies have made magazines for the gov., military, leo, etc.  Unfortunately, because there are so many different companies that have made them, you will not find that quality control is always the same with all brands (that's probably why most of these companies no longer have their gov't contracts).
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:50:15 AM EDT
[#16]
dissipator 556..........Once again, Colt doesn't make magazines.  Call the factory, they will tell you the same thing.  They contract out, always have.

Yes, the base plate says "Colt cal 5.56 mm" or
"AR-15 cal .223" or a few other marking, but the mags were and are "UI" and/or "Okay".  "UI" makes magazines for many different companies and placed that companies logo on the baseplates.

One way to verify this, but it's not 100% is to open up the magazine, remove the spring and look inside.  Usually along the back "rib" or the front narrow wall is a little stamp that will indicate "UI" or "Okay" on "Colt" magazines, especially most earlier production ones.  But like I said, this was not 100% of the time.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Forgot to mention that my "Colt" marked mags are LEO/Military.

They do say "Colt" on both the mag body and the baseplate.  

View Quote

i also have a military "Colt" mag from when my dad was in the USAF.  he took it home with him.  i found it about 2 yrs before i got my AR.  so when i got mine, i asked if i could have it and he said yeah.  i really like it, and am interested in getting more 20rds like that.  but for 30rds usgi i think would be the best.  hopfully
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You don't want to posses any mag that says LEO/Gov. use only on them, unless you are an LEO or in the military, because to posses one and not be one of these you would then be a criminal.
View Quote

You presumptuous twit...thanks for the good advice anyhow- I'll pass it on to the other Marines at my unit.  [;)]
 From how he described it, I doubt that Citabria's mag is marked LEO/Military/Export Only (postban).  

Even when I become a civilian, I don't plan on getting rid of my postban mags.  How many cases can you cite me where the primary charge was illegal use of a postban magazine?  

(ANSWER: ZERO.  The charge is usually tacked onto drug dealers, illegal machine gun and silencer users, etc.)  

Also, I expect (if we do our part) that the Draconian AWB of '94 will have sunsetted by then (see my sig line).  

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:38:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Colt, Okay, Parsons, Sanchez, Universal, Center, Adventureline. I have used them all and never had a problem. I don't think I have any LaBelle mags, so I can't offer an opinion.

Thermold mags are very good, no problems here, yet.

Heck, I haven't had an Orlite malfunction. And from what I hear, that's rare.

Maybe I should go to Vegas.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#22]
If I'm not mistaken, the various brands of USGI mags all came from the same machinery, which was sold from company to company.  I can't imagine there would be any real differences.

So where are all the fans of USA mags? [:D]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't want to posses any mag that says LEO/Gov. use only on them, unless you are an LEO or in the military, because to posses one and not be one of these you would then be a criminal.
View Quote

You presumptuous twit...thanks for the good advice anyhow- I'll pass it on to the other Marines at my unit.  [;)]
 From how he described it, I doubt that Citabria's mag is marked LEO/Military/Export Only (postban).  

Even when I become a civilian, I don't plan on getting rid of my postban mags.  How many cases can you cite me where the primary charge was illegal use of a postban magazine?  

(ANSWER: ZERO.  The charge is usually tacked onto  dealers, illegal machine gun and silencer users, etc.)  

Also, I expect (if we do our part) that the Draconian AWB of '94 will have sunsetted by then (see my sig line).  

View Quote

the bottom of my mag has a little horsey and says , " COlT AR-15
        Cal .223
Colt's P.T. F.A. MFG. CO. INC.
   HARTFORD, CONN, USA"   but my dad got it when he was guarding missle silos in the USAF up in S. Dakota.  he later gave it to me.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:44:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Believe it or not, in 30 and 40 round mags the old Sterlings are about the best.  These mags were factory cut for the M16/AR-15 and the AR-18/AR-180.

Unfortunately, the full-auto crowd has also discovered the fact that these mags are very reliable and the price has been drive-up to around $100.00

In 20's, I use Okay and Center.

(I know some USA mags must be good but my experience has not been good with USA.)
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#25]
about how much should i expect to pay for them?  20s and 30s
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 12:47:39 PM EDT
[#26]

I have Parsons and OKay as well as Thermolds.

Only one Parsons snagged on me - limpdick spring needed replacing.

I find nothing wrong with my Thermolds, even in the Arizona heat.

But be sure to get the AMERICAN-MADE Thermolds (D&D Inc., Wilson N.C. USA), NOT the Canadian-made (maple leaf) Thermelts.

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Regarding my experience with mags:

USA - I have a few around and none of them ever malfunctioned.  However, they are flimsy and feel cheap (which they are).  But I have complete confidence with USA mags for AR-15s.

USGI - Sanchez, OK, Parsons are all good and never had a malfunction, and most of mine are pretty old and bent.

Thermolds - had several problems with extraction and magazine catch on the last round (fired from Bushmaster, ASA and Colt)

Cheers.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#29]
USA mags, if they malfunction, shouldn't be tossed aside so easily.  Instead, when you get your 22lr dedicated upper from Kurt's Kustom send them to him to modify into 22lr mags.  Just a suggestion.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
about how much should i expect to pay for them?  20s and 30s
View Quote

so how much should i expect to have to shell out on

Colt:
 20rders:
 30rders:
Center Industires:
 20rders:
 30rders:
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 6:21:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top