Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2010 11:26:36 AM EDT

Hit bad weather going through the mountains in UT coming back from Vancouver.
No fatalities reported yet.

Link
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 11:30:09 AM EDT
[#1]
God bless our aviators.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I pray and hope that the crew is alright, but I'm going to touch on another matter that I just noticed...

So, the USCG helped provide security for the Olympics? In Canada? Why? Is Vancouver that close to the border?
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 11:35:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Hit bad weather going through the mountains in UT coming back from Vancouver.

No fatalities reported yet.

Link

I had a friend crash in a blackhawk after losing the tail rotor.  They went down in the mountains and the snow cover helped to soften the impact and probably kept them from getting hurt worse than they were.  As it was, he still broke his back.

Hopefully the injured USCG crew will make a full recovery.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Why did it have to come all the way from NC?  We couldn't find any copters closer?  Probably obama's planning
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 11:36:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I pray and hope that the crew is alright, but I'm going to touch on another matter that I just noticed...

So, the USCG helped provide security for the Olympics? In Canada? Why? Is Vancouver that close to the border?

Are you fucking serious?
Look at Google Maps or Mapquest before asking a silly question like that.    

Link Posted: 3/3/2010 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yes, it is.

Link Posted: 3/3/2010 11:38:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

They were at NAS Whidbey Island, near the border.  They had a bunch of our counterterrorism types there as a response force.  I don't know how much actual flying they did.

Link Posted: 3/3/2010 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, it is.

Thanks, thats all I was wondering.
Here's to a full and quick recovery to the crew!
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I am glad they all lived, I have seen both sides of Helicopter crashes, and they do not always come out this lucky.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

it's about a half hour drive from Washington
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why did it have to come all the way from NC?  We couldn't find any copters closer?  Probably obama's planning

Elizabeth City, NC is the biggest USCG Air Station.  Sort of the home base of CG aviation.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Two walked away unscratched, one fracture, and two minor injuries.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 11:47:36 AM EDT
[#13]
OK, the Olympics are over, so OPSEC is no longer a concern.

There were a "bunch" of "different" alphabet soup named federal agencies working out of a Pacific Northwest Naval Air Station.

There were a "bunch" of H-60's (in addition to other types of aircraft).

Think McFly, the Coast Guard is not going to pull any of the H-60's from Astoria to do Olympic security since they and Whidbey Island are the only SAR units that fly the H-60 in the PNW.

The Coast Guard is not going to pull any H-60's from SoCal because they are used for things other than SAR.

The Coast Guard pulled H-60's from a few units across the country in order to fulfill their tasking.

If I would have been allowed to take pictures you would have been surprised with the mix of H-60's.

Link Posted: 3/3/2010 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#14]
The USCG has some of the baddest, most professional, ballsiest aviators in the world.

They fly when the birds are grounded.

They have my utmost respect.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 12:07:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

That's a good day.

Godspeed boys.

Link Posted: 3/3/2010 12:11:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I had a friend crash in a blackhawk after losing the tail rotor.  They went down in the mountains and the snow cover helped to soften the impact and probably kept them from getting hurt worse than they were.  As it was, he still broke his back.

Hopefully the injured USCG crew will make a full recovery.

And then he went aboard a Russian sub and even got to drive it.  Sometime later he went on to become POTUS.  

Seriously, though, thanks to him and this USCG crew for their service. Hope all plays out well.

Link Posted: 3/3/2010 12:12:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The USCG has some of the baddest, most professional, ballsiest aviators in the world.

The USCG does not fly grounded aircraft. And if anyone does fly a grounded aircraft they should not be respected.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 12:15:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The USCG does not fly grounded aircraft. And if anyone does fly a grounded aircraft they should not be respected.

I think you misunderstand Brohawk. Sounds to me like he means when other helos are grounded due to bad weather.

Link Posted: 3/3/2010 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a good day.

Godspeed boys.

This is the only thing that matters.

/thread
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 7:06:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you misunderstand Brohawk. Sounds to me like he means when other helos are grounded due to bad weather.  

I think he meant when the "quack, quack, chirp, chirp" type of birds are grounded. Flying over water in bad weather is some of the most demanding flying you can do. I much would rather fly in mountains in bad weather than water. I hated overwater ops. WJ

Link Posted: 3/4/2010 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#21]
University Hospital officials said that Cmdr. Patrick Shaw of Juneau, Alaska, and Petty Officer 2nd Class Gina Panuzzi, of Lacey, Wash., remained in critical condition. Both suffered internal injuries.

Gina Panuzzi
Sent by a friend.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 3:23:27 PM EDT
[#22]
3 CG helo crew members return to Elizabeth City

The Associated Press
Posted : Sunday Mar 7, 2010 18:02:54 EST

SALT LAKE CITY — Three crew members aboard a Coast Guard helicopter that crashed in Utah earlier in the week have returned to their home base in Elizabeth City, N.C.

The helicopter with five aboard went down Wednesday in Utah’s Uinta mountains as the crew was returning home from a security detail at the Winter Olympics in Vancouver.

Three people were hospitalized after the crash.

On Saturday, three crew members returned to their base: 37-year-old Patrick Shaw of Juneau, Alaska; 22-year-old Petty Officer 3rd Class Darren Hicks of Oroville, Wash.; and 26-year-old Petty Officer 3rd Class Edward Sychra of Blanchard, Idaho.

Two others — Petty Officer 2nd Class Gina Panuzzi and Lt. Cmdr. Steven Cerveny of Lincoln, Neb. — remained in fair condition Sunday at University Hospital in Salt Lake City.

The crash is under investigation.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#23]
It'll be interesting to read the findings on this one...  

This summer I had the pleasure of doing some joint stuff with the Coasties out of Kodiak up in Nome.  It's always fun to crawl around other branches 60's and see the differences...  One look at the Jayhawks and you can tell they're not set up for overland travel, in shitty weather, in the mountains.  There's NO scanners position on the left at all and the only way you're scanning on the right is out the cargo door.  More times then I like to admit I've been caught in bad weather literally flying the helicopter from the back.  When you get in the weather at treetop level you need to pick up drift immediately... if you don't it can get out of hand and you had better have the backenders heads out the window on both sides!   Also the glare screen in the front comes damn near halfway up the front window... Jayhawks are definitely made to fly for extended periods over water.  And the Coasties fucking ROCK at it.  Visiting the beast ain't fun, he won this time.  

Here's to a speedy recovery to my h60 brethren...  Get well mates!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top