Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2006 6:58:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:07:36 AM EDT
[#1]
check the bios to make sure usb 1 and 2 is enabled.     (this is not the speed, this is the connectors on the board)

make sure you have service pack 2 installed for windows xp

so when you plug any usb device do you hear a little sound from your speakers??? and the bottom right hand corner does it try to install the device or just nothing??

im betting its not enabled in the bios. or they are just bad.    

some boards have a second connection on the board. ( thats why you enable usb2nd connection in the bios)

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:30:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:38:47 AM EDT
[#3]
its probably going to be easier to buy a usb hub.   it will use one of the working usb ports in the back.  but it will give you up to 5-8 more usb ports.

it should have a cable so you can mount it on top of the system or the side.  

is the system under anytype of warranty.  if it is call them and let them know its not working.  

just a heads up.   we have been getting alot of customers bring those usb storage drives to us.   they are not able to get the ddata off the drives.
.  alot of people are loosing valuable data because they are using these thumb drives as their backups.   I suggest having 2 backups. because ALOT of those usb drives are going bad.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:48:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Are the cables that go from the usb port on the front panel to the usb header plug on the system board connected properly?

Edit:  not backwards.. are they keyed for the board conenction?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:54:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Are the cables that go from the usb port on the front panel to the usb header plug on the system board connected properly?

Edit:  not backwards.. are they keyed for the board conenction?

i believe that they were forced to key the plugins now.  if its plugged in backwards it damages the system board.   i believe once at the shop flames shot of of the front of the system when we plugged in a device.  

or so im told,  i didn't see it but thats what they said
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:58:51 AM EDT
[#6]
One other thing to check.

Every time I put in a new mass storage device on any usb port, I have to manually change the drive letter before it is recognized, because the auto assignment of letters overlaps it with existing drives or devices.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#7]
some case manufacturers dont even used keyed plugs - they have 8 independent terminals.... so it is VERY easy to screw it up.

Sometimes, they are plugged into the connector that is also used for the external soldered ports.  Make sure your motherboard has specific USB ports... if you have different ones, try them.

Also, doublecheck that BIOS.... mine can enable, 2, 4, or 6 ports.  Forget about device manager or drivers.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I would boot into safe mode, and delete all USB references in the device manager.

Also in the device manager, click on View, and then "Show hidden devices"... again take out anything that is USB related. Then reboot... see if anything works better.

-d
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:46:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Got pics of said cable and maidenhead?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:12:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top