Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2006 6:46:31 AM EDT
What's your language of choice?

Senior noncommissioned officers and field grade officers will soon be required to take up a new language as part of their professional military training.

"Starting next year, the students down at Maxwell (Air Force Base, Ala., home to Air University and the Senior NCO Academy) are going to see a more robust education that is going to prepare them to be leaders in this global war on terror, and that includes language education" General Moseley said. "It is going to be mandatory that they take one of four languages: Arabic, French, Spanish and Chinese. This will enable them to go to other countries, not only in the (Middle East), but in the sub-Sahara, and be able to better work in those regions."

Full article:

www.3c0x1.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=329
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:05:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I wasn't able to pull up the article, but what level of proficency are they looking for from everyone?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:43:00 AM EDT
[#2]
The article doesn't specify a level of proficiency, but I'd assume it would be a conversational level with technical vocabulary to support whatever work is being done.  

A friend of mine was a curriculum developer for the SNCOA and maintained some contacts.  He's trying to get details.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:52:00 AM EDT
[#3]
This is pissing off a LOT of NCO's I know and the majority of them are going to retire before being forced to learn another language.

IMHO, it's a bad idea to force it down somebodys throat so they can be promoted.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#4]
If its based on DLI's DLPT then I imagine they would be looking for a 1/1.  That is the current standard in the US Army SFQC.  Chinese is the most difficult at of the 4. Most people have trouble with French when it comes to listening.  I'm having trouble with Korean due to the amount of vocab we have to know to stand on a chance on the DLPT.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:27:38 AM EDT
[#5]
What is DLI's DLPT and the US Army SFQC ??????????????????
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:44:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

DLI = Defense Language Instute
DLPT = Defense Language Proficiency Test
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If its based on DLI's DLPT then I imagine they would be looking for a 1/1.  That is the current standard in the US Army SFQC.  Chinese is the most difficult at of the 4. Most people have trouble with French when it comes to listening.  I'm having trouble with Korean due to the amount of vocab we have to know to stand on a chance on the DLPT.

Curiosity - you @ DLI now?

Hanguk kung puhamneda
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:47:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Curiosity - you @ DLI now?

Hanguk kung puhamneda

Nope. Ft. Bragg, NC taking the 6 month korean course.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:57:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm not a senior NCO yet, but I hope this gets shit canned before I have to go though the SNCOA.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:01:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

SFQC = Special Forces Qualification Course... Where Supermen are made
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#11]
This is more bs...you're not going to learn enough to be proficent in just 8 weeks, especially in my field, aircraft maintenance.  Whoever came up with this idea is the same type who saddled us with Total Quality Mismanagment, and we all know how that worked out!
SMSgt, USAF
1981 to present
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:34:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't think it's supposed to be part of the NCOA curriculum.  You can't squeeze a language into everything else that's going on there.

My guess is that it will be a continuing education type of thing.  Maybe taking classes through a local school or enrolling in a Berlitz/Rosetta Stone type of program.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:58:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Ahora mismo, hablo Espanol.  Estoy esparando mi fecha para salir a la Academia del SNCO.  No puedo esparar!

Like it has been mentioned before, eight weeks really won't  teach you very much.  What did it for me was returning to Panama for my second tour just after being divorced.  It's amazing how much incentive you have to learn Spanish if you want to get laid.

(Aaaaaah, TQM.  I have such fond memories of my TQM classes back at Grand Forks!)

MSgt,  USAF
1984 to present
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#14]
You know, I've run accross this kind of thing since I've been in. A new policy comes in and everyone talks about it then you never hear anything about it again. I can't see how they'll be able to cram more stuff into the NCOA without making it longer or fuck it up like they have every other AF course. I don't understand why they feel a need for this kind of thing when we had interpeters sitting on their asses doing nothing on all my deployments.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:34:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
This is more bs...you're not going to learn enough to be proficent in just 8 weeks, especially in my field, aircraft maintenance.  Whoever came up with this idea is the same type who saddled us with Total Quality Mismanagment, and we all know how that worked out!

SMSgt, USAF
1981 to present

OMG....Is McPeak back?

This sounds like one of his crazy ideas!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:12:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Ahora mismo, hablo Espanol. Estoy esparando mi fecha para salir a la Academia del SNCO. No puedo esparar!

Like it has been mentioned before, eight weeks really won't teach you very much. What did it for me was returning to Panama for my second tour just after being divorced. It's amazing how much incentive you have to learn Spanish if you want to get laid.

(Aaaaaah, TQM. I have such fond memories of my TQM classes back at Grand Forks!)

Until TQM, I thought a paradigm was twenty cents!

QUALITY IS DEAD!!!!!

B_S
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:55:16 AM EDT
[#17]
My favorite TQM memory was the two days of bullshit class with a certificate that read, "Totla Quality Management".  That and that stupid V-neck T-shirt so my manly hairy chest could show,,,,,,ahhhhh McPeak.

One of my buddies went through SFQC as the war was heating up in late 2001.  He got a waiver for language and has been travelling the world without the ability to speak spanish ever since.

Msgt, USAF/ANG
1982-1992AD, 1992-present ANG
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm thinking this is going to get water'd down to some sort of "cultural awareness" curriculum in the SNCO Academy.  If they don't realize it yet, they soon will, that six weeks isn't a whole lot of time to get someone familiar with a new language.  Especially when its mixed in with the other subjects being discussed.

I'd be willing to bet that a second language proficiency gets to be another plus mark for promotion to senior or chief .

Maybe equal to the other "plusses" that are supposidly out there;

Recruiter Duty in history
First Sergeant Duty in history
CCAF degree
Course 12
etc....
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:15:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Just like they were going to institute a policy where you had to have a bachelor's to get Chief, or how there'd be blue BDUs with Henley shirts, or any other douchebag of an idea the AF gets.  I swear, they keep coming out with policy that certainly doesn't want to make me stay in.

Maybe just another way to weed people out for their force shaping bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:08:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't think they will try to cram it down anybody's throat.  I am pissed that free online language training in those languages (and others) is available right now to Officers and not to NCOs.  I will be taking advantage of the program if/when it becomes available to the unwashed Enlisted scum.  Hell by the time they straighten that program out I'll probably be a SNCO anyway.  I just promotion tested today, and this year doesn't look so good, but there is always next time (and the year in Iraq to study and then test out of cycle next year).
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:19:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I don't think they will try to cram it down anybody's throat.  I am pissed that free online language training in those languages (and others) is available right now to Officers and not to NCOs.  I will be taking advantage of the program if/when it becomes available to the unwashed Enlisted scum.  Hell by the time they straighten that program out I'll probably be a SNCO anyway.  I just promotion tested today, and this year doesn't look so good, but there is always next time (and the year in Iraq to study and then test out of cycle next year).

Good luck this year - never count out your chances altogether!!!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:31:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I talked to my Senior today, he head that they are talking about requiring new Chiefs to obtain 4 years retainability just to sew on CMSgt.  This ought to weed out the Chiefs from the E-9s.

I think this foreign language "deal' was started to create a pool of SNCOs to fill embassy liason  "type"  jobs worldwide.  Just an idea.

B_S
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:38:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The PFE test was a BITCH this year.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:40:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The PFE test was a BITCH this year.

I gotta agree wholeheartedly, my SKT was actually pretty easy, but I had version D of the PFE, and it sucked bad!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top