Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 7:27:20 AM EDT
I have a full gunsafe and I need to do something about it.  I figure the handguns on the top shelves are fine, but the longarms are vertical and if I flood, they're going to be fucked.

Is there anything I can do to waterproof it?  If not, I plan to remove the longarms and put them in a closet and just hope.

Thanks for any advice.

Oh, are ammo cans waterproof?  I have a bunch of 50 cals. They are so heavy I'm not sure I can put them in the closet - I bet they'd break the shelf.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:28:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:30:07 AM EDT
[#2]
There's several things you could do. If it's a quality safe, it should be built pretty well. Therefore all you would need to do is make sure you have an airtight seal around the door. Caulking the door would probably do the trick. You'd just have to chip it off later to get back into it and that may leave it looking like shit.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:31:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have a full gunsafe and I need to do something about it.  I figure the handguns on the top shelves are fine, but the longarms are vertical and if I flood, they're going to be fucked.

Is there anything I can do to waterproof it?  If not, I plan to remove the longarms and put them in a closet and just hope.

Thanks for any advice.

Oh, are ammo cans waterproof?  I have a bunch of 50 cals. They are so heavy I'm not sure I can put them in the closet - I bet they'd break the shelf.

I have one closet that has about 5K centerfire handgun and 5k rimfire on the shelf, said shelf consisting of 1 1"x12"x3' board.

You could always trim a 2x4 stud and use it to brace the shelf - though I think that's a bit extreme.

Why not put the ammo in your truck, and LEAVE?

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:33:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Seriously, wrap it in saran wrap, or its thicker equivalent.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:34:48 AM EDT
[#5]
if the bottom of the safe is sealed, just seal the door with duck tape
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:35:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Where are you and what is your elevation?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:36:23 AM EDT
[#7]
also u can buy a vacume sealer, and seal each gun in the air tight bag, they come in huge rolls

it will work for long guns

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:41:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Silicon chaulk bead around the door and around the bolts securing it to the wall/floor.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:42:49 AM EDT
[#9]
nevermind, found one
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:44:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Silicon chaulk bead around the door and around the bolts securing it to the wall/floor.

Kharn

Yup. That will make it air and water tight. Plus, that will be the easiest, most simple and most effective thing you can do. And it works. You can seal off the drain in your bathtub with that stuff and then fill it with water. Even with the drain open, it won't let any escape. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:45:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Seriously, wrap it in saran wrap, or its thicker equivalent.

That would work except he would have to remove safe from wall if thats what it is secured to.  Don't know if you would want an unsecured safe after a hurricane, with possibility of looting.  If its secured to the floor with a little space on the backside that would allow you to wrap it, its a great idea though......
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:48:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
also u can buy a vacume sealer, and seal each gun in the air tight bag, they come in huge rolls

it will work for long guns

same idea, but cheaper.  Believe or not they will keep water out pretty well.  Took my shotgun on a 5 day canoe camping trip last year and protected it by double bagging it in heavy duty trash bags with zip ties to close the bag up.  It spent the majority of the 5 days at the bottom of the canoe under water, muck, and mud.

Each night when we would make camp and I would open up the bags and check the shotgun.  It was completely dry everytime.  

EPOCH
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Kharn

bingo.  and if not bolted down (why not?) make sure you get any mounting holes sealed.

Your ammo cans should be good, but running a bead of caulk around the lid won't hurt and putting them into a trashbag and sealing it up won't hurt.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I wouldn't trust it.  Between all of the mounting holes, the door, the dial and lever on the door, and any possibility of a gap in a weld somewhere, you won't conceivably be able to stop it all.  If any water does get in, you've made yourself a very effective rust trap.

I'd opt for sealing the guns individually, or offer a six-pack to a friend with an SUV to load them up and take them to safety.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:07:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

bingo.  and if not bolted down (why not?) make sure you get any mounting holes sealed.

Your ammo cans should be good, but running a bead of caulk around the lid won't hurt and putting them into a trashbag and sealing it up won't hurt.

Don't forget to check for a hole in the backside used for power cords(goldenrods and lights)
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:11:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:14:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Caulk the door (silcone) and the floor around it (because of the holes in the bottom for any dehumdifier or lights or for bolting it down) the bottom of the safe.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Put each rifle in a trashbag, duct taping it at the top,  then put it back in the safe, and I like the caulking idea.  I was going to recommend expansion foam, but caulking works too.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#20]
2 mil plastic and duct tape, cover all the seams of the door, most gun safes have a small hole drilled at the bottom of one of the sides so a power line can run through it for a golden rod cover that hole as well. Put some jell packs in your safe if you dont have them in there already, the more the merrier (dessicant). Ammo cans, as long as the rubber seal is intact and not rotted in anyway they will be fine.  McM
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#21]
... Go buy a couple gallons of 90 weight gear oil. Submerge each weapon entirely. Place each into HD trash bags and tie the end in a tight knot. Place back in safe and lock up.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I would just duct tape the door seam. Rubber washers on any bolts would be good, silicon them if that isn`t possible.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#23]
+1 on the silicone sealant. When the tide receeds all you have to do is peel it right off.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#25]
if you seal the safe put some desicant inside.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:35:36 PM EDT
[#26]
OK, nobody else has said this so here goes.....

Why not  pack your shit and head for safety?  

Pictures, paperwork, clothes, food & stuff in safe...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Bass Pro Shop sells giant ziploc bags. I was there two days ago.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:44:50 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Put each rifle in a trashbag, duct taping it at the top,  then put it back in the safe, and I like the caulking idea.  I was going to recommend expansion foam, but caulking works too.

+1

I have to remember this. Great idea.  

To saran wrap each rifle...   Would that work better? It may be time consuming. YOU HAVE TO RUN!!!

My prayers are with all of you. Good Luck!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:52:04 PM EDT
[#29]
You could always get a big pvc pipe for long guns and cap the ends off.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:54:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Take them with you?...
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:11:04 AM EDT
[#31]
wrap them in plastic and put them on top shelves in the closet.  Lock your doors.  If there is a chance you house will be destoyed (leveled)  them wrap them up and leave in the safe what you cannot take.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:53:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Saran wrap will not protect your weapons due to capillary action.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Remember, many safes have holes in the bottom to bolt to the foundation and run power into the safe.... YMMV

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:42:15 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
OK, nobody else has said this so here goes.....

Why not  pack your shit and head for safety?  

Pictures, paperwork, clothes, food & stuff in safe...

+1!!!!!              
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:30:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Get ALOT of pelican cases!!!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:05:27 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
if the bottom of the safe is sealed, just seal the door with duck tape

+1
DUCT tape was originally intended for sealing ammocans, if your safe is otherwise waterproof, use duct tape; when you come back, use acetone, turpentine, or similar to clean off the glue remenants.
If your safe has other entrances that aren't waterproof (eg, wire coming in for a dehumidifier), you can chauk it (more permenant solution, but unlikely to require removal, and just scrape away and re chauk later if need be).
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Take them with you?...

I would need a MUCH larger truck than the one I have now.

OK, so I double bagged each longarm with thick garbage bags.  If it had flooded, I think they would have been safe.  Thankfully, it did not flood and I am back from my evacuation.

Thanks for the help!  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top