Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/15/2005 4:09:50 AM EDT
F-ing morons. I ordered a $2500 bed from Select Comfort, and the company shipped it so fast that it arrived last week, but of course I didn't own the home yet and couldn't get it delivered. So I called UPS last week and told them I would take a half day off from work (at a significant cost in wages - about $150) to be here for the delivery, as they said it required a signature and they wouldn't just drop it off in my garage.

So, I called them on Tuesday and reminded them that I would be home for the drop off. They said no problem.

Yesterday after watching the UPS truck go by my house twice and drop off packages on both sides of me, I flagged the driver down (it was now way past when I was supposed to go to work for a short shift) and was told, "Oh, those huge boxes with the bed in it? They didn't load it on my truck this morning." The UPS driver, seeing how pissed I was, proceeded to tell me this was the worst local UPS he's ever worked for, and when I told him how rudely I was treated by the customer service bitch there, nodded his head and encouraged me to call corporate to complain and be specific. Nice, huh?

I called Select Comfort and raised hell, implying I would just cancel the order and get a bed locally and have it delivered locally since UPS couldn't get their shit together. I figure someone with a little more clout and business with them might get something done. They called me back later and said they raised hell with UPS and were told that UPS would make a special after-hours delivery last night and drop off the bed.

I get home at 2300 to . . . . . NOTHING! No bed. Keep in mind, I have NOTHING in my house. The prospect of sleeping on terrazo flooring with a pullow was not fun. Off to Wally World for an air mattress (which sucked too).

I'm sure when I call UPS this morning I'll get the same bitchy attitude, and be told "We can't gaurantee a delivery time, and you have to be there to sign" blah blah blah.

Yeah - you'll drop off crates of ammo and C&R rifles at my house with no signature, and laptop computers - but not a bed so damn big that no one is going to snatch and grab IT.

Did I mention that UPS sucks donkey balls?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:29:08 AM EDT
Overall I have had pretty good luck with UPS, but when the screw up, they do it big-time. Seems to be all good or all bad with them and not much middle of the road.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:29:17 AM EDT
Yep, they have been on my shit list ever since the mid 90's when they went on strike (and were already making more money than most other common laborers). For weeks I had to drive 3 hours to pick up my weekly inventory in Memphis just cause their sorry asses needed a few more dollars to feel good...they sure weren't earning it.

Then I had a bitchy driver who left a small package on my porch, mighta blown away..but it wasn't there when I checked on it weeks later with the people I ordered it from. called ups and complained. I got my money back but then they wouldn't deliver to my house anymore without someone being home to sign for it (like thats gonna happen). They said I now lived in a risky neighborhood but they would deliver to my neighbor across the street and leave stuff there (WTF??). I lived in a VERY safe rural subdivision at the time.

I called and called and everytime spoke to someones supervisor up the line until finally I got them to relent and deliver to my house and all I had to do was leave one of their stickies on my door with my signature whenever something was coming. This relieved them of their liability I guess. Bunch of sacks of shit.

Essayons
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:48:22 AM EDT
United Parcel Smashers??

I know those guys...
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:26:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2005 5:27:40 AM EDT by Galland]
UPS employee training must be a hit or miss process. The driver on my route is a terrific guy. He never does dumb stuff like losing packages or leaving them out in the rain. The people in the local main counter office are a different matter. They are one step removed from unemployed trailer trash. The cashier in particular displayed an intelligence level that would embarass a McDonald's fry cook. Her manager was just as dumb, but he looked 'less dumb' only by virtue of the fact that he didn't have a nose ring in his nostril like she did.

I suspect they invest most of their training hours in the drivers and hire rubes for the front office, as they know it isn't a critical area.

Galland

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:29:58 AM EDT
A company is as good as it's employees. Some just suck worse than others.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:30:54 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:41:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2005 5:43:29 AM EDT by HRoark]
They managed to lose a 10 foot ladder that I had ordered for work one time. I can see how things can get lost, but how do you lose a 10 FOOT LADDER?!?!

It's ten freakin feet long for cryin out loud!

ETA
<-------- LA Class post!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:09:44 PM EDT
Well the dumb bastards, after being told I wouldn't be home today, STILL tried to deliver and left a message saying "This is your second attempt - we'll try one more time then send it back to the shipper."

Dumbasses.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:19:00 PM EDT
Can't you just pick it up at the station? Or do you not have a truck for that?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:04:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tactmaster:
Can't you just pick it up at the station? Or do you not have a truck for that?

It is a king size bed and platform - don't think it will fit in my Civic.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:23:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HRoark:
They managed to lose a 10 foot ladder that I had ordered for work one time. I can see how things can get lost, but how do you lose a 10 FOOT LADDER?!?!

ETA

Well, The dip shit that mailed in the first place just stuck a address label on it and mailed because they were to cheap to ask for special attachment label, hence the label fell off, I guess they could guess it was your ladder out of all the people that receive stuff..
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:45:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2005 5:45:31 PM EDT by MrMurphy]

Originally Posted By Greywolf2112:
Well the dumb bastards, after being told I wouldn't be home today, STILL tried to deliver and left a message saying "This is your second attempt - we'll try one more time then send it back to the shipper."

Dumbasses.

You're the dumbass for ordering a $2500.00 air bed that I can almost guarentee you're going to return in less then a month. He MUST attempt the package even though you said you wouldn't be home and he MUST leave a notice (yellow slip with bar code) informing you of the attempt. Heres a new idea. Get off your ass go to the store buy a bed and have it delivered at your convience. Here's what alot of you don't get. UPS drivers do not work a shift. They work from 8:30 am UNTIL their truck is empty. I used to average 170 stops over 300 packages and 200 round trip miles a day. That job sucked donkey balls which is why I've quit after 10 years. I whole heartly agree UPS sucks but don't blame the driver. 90% of the time its management thats screwing you.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:49:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:05:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Buey:

Originally Posted By HRoark:

ETA

Well, The dip shit that mailed in the first place just stuck a address label on it and mailed because they were to cheap to ask for special attachment label, hence the label fell off, I guess they could guess it was your ladder out of all the people that receive stuff..

Well, nice of you to stick up for UPS and all, but since the replacement ladder CAME IN A BOX, I can only assume that the one that was lost did also. Last time I checked, you don't need a special label to put on a CARDBOARD BOX. I ship things in cardboard boxes all the time, large, small, and everything in between, and regular labels work well for me.

Maybe you shouldn't assume things.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:21:51 AM EDT
I haven't had bad luck with UPS.

But, then I wouldn't buy a $2500 air bed for a house I don't even own or live in yet.

This goes a long way towards explaing why my luck usually trumps the less fortunate, I think.

It's been my experience that when you have $$ falling out your every orifice, you tend to spend it in ways that unneccessarily complicate your life.

My $800 bed required 1 trip to store to pick it out, 1 trip home to wait for the delivery guy to come and deliver it. I didn't even know people seriously considered buying a bed mail order.....but as I said, my life isn't that complicated usually.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:10:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By swingset:
I haven't had bad luck with UPS.

But, then I wouldn't buy a $2500 air bed for a house I don't even own or live in yet.

This goes a long way towards explaing why my luck usually trumps the less fortunate, I think.

It's been my experience that when you have $$ falling out your every orifice, you tend to spend it in ways that unneccessarily complicate your life.

My $800 bed required 1 trip to store to pick it out, 1 trip home to wait for the delivery guy to come and deliver it. I didn't even know people seriously considered buying a bed mail order.....but as I said, my life isn't that complicated usually.

Not my fault the bed company drop ships via UPS. I suppose I could have bought an $800 bed similar to the one I bought a few years ago, that started to sag and give the wife and I back-aches. Do that every 4-5 years and eventually you get $2500. Good beds are expensive.

But let's not turn this into a pissing contest regarding how "stupid" people are like me who decide to invest in a nice bed.

Facts are still the same - UPS has a bad setup in that there is no way to actually request or even pay extra for a special timed delivery, and when they were told twice that I was going to be home all day, not 4 miles from their hub, to accept delivery, they dropped the ball and never even loaded the items in the truck for delivery, and their own driver said their local hub was horribly run and managed.

Jeez, do you some of you work for UPS to be defending them so much?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:14:22 AM EDT
Ban mail order beds. Its for the BBT drivers!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:36:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Slacker:
Ban mail order beds. Its for the BBT drivers!

LOL
Top Top