Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2007 2:15:50 PM EST
So I went to the UPS store to ship a couple of magazines and they will no longer accept any firearms parts, ammunition, or firearms regardless of who you are or where they are going. Some dumb ass got it in her/his head that it is illegal to do this if both parties are not licensed. As to prevent any confusion, they will not accept anything related to a firearm. They will no longer package such items for you either. They will sell you a box, but they will not touch it. Damn hippies... I am boycotting UPS/UPS store. This just pisses me off...

To get around the dumb asses, I read the "rule" and then told the schmuck that what I was shipping wasn't on the list.

If the second amendment wasn't walked all over by everyone not in the industry this wouldn't be a problem. I blame Abraham Lincoln for this mess we are in now. He started it. States have no rights; we have no rights; I wish there was a snowball's chance of this country being liberated. Stupid lazy Americans think freedom means being able to choose between Burgerking and McDonalds. Damn I am frustrated.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:20:01 PM EST
UPS internet shipping is your friend.

UPS stores are not owned by UPS.

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:21:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By XDBACKUPGUN:

+1 or use a USPS priority mail flat rate box.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:26:23 PM EST
So does this mean you can no longer ship guns UPS even if you go to the UPS depot?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:27:29 PM EST

Originally Posted By Nlinc:

+1
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:27:34 PM EST

Originally Posted By imtheflash:
So does this mean you can no longer ship guns UPS even if you go to the UPS depot?

NO.

The UPS stores are usually owned by asshats.

I deal with them on a daily basis.

I am a UPS driver.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:28:24 PM EST
so wait how does this work then, ups will ship firearms directly from ur house to wherever, but the stores will not? interesting
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:29:19 PM EST
So if I need to send a full pistol to a licensed dealer, whats the best way to do it without risking loss of my pistol or having legal troubles?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:29:29 PM EST
I simply ship "machine parts".
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:29:57 PM EST
Use a PakMail store.

The one near me is great.

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:31:04 PM EST

Originally Posted By Presence:
So if I need to send a full pistol to a licensed dealer, whats the best way to do it without risking loss of my pistol or having legal troubles?

UPS internet Shipping and give it to a driver or drop off at a UPS store or UPS Customer Counter.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:32:09 PM EST
Don't use the UPS Store, they're ripoffs owned by small time thieves. They charge you double or triple the rate to ship a package as it would cost if you went directly to a UPS depot.

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:33:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/26/2007 2:37:02 PM EST by Max_Mike]

Actually they do in part the UPS Store/Mail Boxes Ect. are franchised by UPS. UPS bought Mail Boxes Etc in 2001 which became the UPS Store.

UPS absolutely sets UPS Store policy on shipping. UPS did set the policy of only accepting firearms at the depot.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:35:01 PM EST

NO.

I am a UPS driver.

The UPS Store is a UPS sold franchise... so UPS does have some control.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:35:11 PM EST

Originally Posted By Max_Mike:

Actually they do in part the UPS Store/Mail Boxes Ect. are franchised by UPS. UPS bought Mail Boxes Etc in 2001 which became the UPS Store.

UPS absolutely sets UPS Store policy on shipping.

The key word is Franchise.

You are right about the policy.

But no where in the UPS policy does it state we do not ship firearms,ammo, mags....ect.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:35:54 PM EST
Repeat after me "machine parts"
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:36:53 PM EST

No. Go to UPS instead of trying to go through a third-party.z
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:37:33 PM EST

Originally Posted By FieroLoki:

The only problem with that is trying to file a claim for "machined parts".

Claims have been denied for not truthfully stating what you are shipping.

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:38:05 PM EST
+1 I ship "Auto Parts" or "Computer Parts" depending on weight thats why I need the "extra" insurance. Fuck them!
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:39:18 PM EST

NO.

I am a UPS driver.

The UPS Store is a UPS sold franchise... so UPS does have some control.

You would be shocked how little control UPS has.

They only state what they cannot accept....ie HazMats,Animals,loose gems, gold bars......there is a list of about 3 dozen things.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:41:43 PM EST

UPS absolutely sets UPS Store policy on shipping.

The key word is Franchise.

You are right about the policy.

But no where in the UPS policy does it state we do not ship firearms,ammo, mags....ect.

It is UPS policy to accept firearms from walk in customers only at the depot at least here it is. That never bothered me as dealing with the folks at the depot is ALLWAYS easier and cheaper. I would sure as hell deal with UPS personal and drivers directly that the nitwits at the UPS Store.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:49:50 PM EST
Why do even tell them what's in it? Do you want them to steal it?
If they ask, tell them its tools or auto parts.

You'd be amazed how much ammo tools can fit in a USPS flat rate box.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:28:01 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/26/2007 6:18:30 PM EST by Presence]

Originally Posted By Dave15:
I simply ship "machine parts".

I was told to ship the weapon this way by the company I was going to ship the firearm to. I was also told from another source that shipping a handgun without declaring it is a breach of federal law. I was also told that disclosing the firearm is a policy of fedex and UPS, and nothing more. Now I have no idea what to believe. I have seen the FexEX and UPS policies, so that much is true. The last thing I want is to have the damn box get scanned due to some stupidity or random factor, and lose my gun or have legal issues related to firearms...

So lets assume that the place I'm shipping the weapon to is "licensed" what do I have to do to ship it? Do I just tell them, the other end is licensed? Do I have to provide some proof that they are licensed? The licensed party is in another state of the USA.

Originally Posted By Nlinc:

DON'T do this with handguns. Taking a firearm into a USPS facility may be a felony (it isn't if you have a legal right to carry a firearm there through the federal law, but your state law might be different, and would supercede it), and shipping a handgun through the USPS is also a felony. There are exclusions (police, army, if you are licensed to hunt on federal property, amoungst a few others...)

I'm not a lawyer, so I may be wrong. I wish I wasn't. For magazines, well, these aren't firearms. You could ship those from anywhere, which I think is what Nlinc is speaking of above.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:35:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/26/2007 5:37:43 PM EST by aaron_fsp]

Just call it a "disassembled component assembly" in case the
box falls open and they accuse you of having a machine gun.
I wont send a rifle without removing the bolt from the weapon,
so they cant say it "fired" and wasnt unloaded. I wouldnt put
it past some anti gun types to take it out of the box, buy some
ammo, load it, then say I shipped it in that condition and that it
"went off" so they could let the police confiscate it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:50:32 PM EST
Repeat after me..."MACHINE PARTS"
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:58:26 PM EST
Repeat after me, "call corporate" - from the store.

That's what I did when I was told that an AR10 barrel is a "firearm", when by their own definition, it is not. Unless something changed recently, the corporate regulation is on your side. Their corporate definition of firearm falls under teh GCA - you are right and they are wrong. Do not take no for an answer.

www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/guidelines/firearms.html
"Firearms will be transported only between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, law enforcement agencies of the United States or of any department or agency thereof and law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency, or political subdivision thereof, and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws."

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:07:17 PM EST
i tried shipping out a rifle from a ups store. Im an ffl, and shipping to an ffl. they where unsure if they could ship it. so they call corporate.

takes about 10minutes. then the managers gets on the line and talks to them for a minute.

he says that they can ship handguns, but not rifles. i have to goto the depot.

so the next time i goto the ups store to ship a handgun....well apparently they cant ship handguns and only ship rifles. i even brought a printout of their shipping rules regarding firearms. same crap. never gone to them again for anything regardless how conviently they are located. like everyone said before....asshats. they are the gun shop commandos of the delivery business.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:17:14 PM EST
it is usually easier to go USPS,

you can get priority mail boxes free, either at the post office or online (even shipped free)
dealer to dealer handgun shipments are a breeze, 1 simple form and all is done,, and about 1/2 the price of UPS

just be sure to insure if needed, and use delivery confirmation,,,

i have shipped close to 800 packages in the past few years (selling on ebay/gunbroker) and only 40 or so have been UPS, mostly ammo sales,
the rest went USPS,

only 2 have been delayed, and 1 of those was returned damaged, (about 60lbs in a flat rate box)

and yes, i if i have to ship UPS, i go to the hub,
i pass about 10 mailbox r us or ups stores on the way, but they all overcharge, and the UPS store is owned/operated by a total jackass,,

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:32:11 PM EST
It all just pisses me off that they do not all follow the simple rules of the cariers they use. It's not difficult to learn what can be shipped usps and ups. It's not like they have to know the bilaws of every contract carrier. +1 they are all asses. I read the e-mail to the local franchise owner from here boss and they have the law all screwed up. The dumbass owner thinks she can be fined 250k for shipping a screw. Whenever I ship a compete firearm, I go to the depot as the other ass monkeys are not worth dealing with. Normally I ship usps flat rate, but today I didn't feel like the extra 10 minutes of driving to the post office (when your truck requires premium fuel and gets 10mpg this is a factor).

If I had the choice, I would not partake in society. I hate idiots and they are everywhere... This is bad considering I am going back to school for pharmacy.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:33:17 PM EST

so the next time i goto the ups store to ship a handgun....well apparently they cant ship handguns and only ship rifles.

Then go to UPS instead of a third-party. UPS doesn't ship handguns from a third-party. They correctly don't trust the third-party.

they are the gun shop commandos of the delivery business.

No, their policy is clear. You have to give it to UPS directly either at their location or on a daily pickup.z
Top Top