Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/14/2005 8:07:21 PM EDT
What happens if I ship a handgun via UPS and they just blatantly steal it of the box?

Am I screwed, or will UPS replace it?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:19:05 PM EDT
Sadly they will replace it with an airsoft version and call it even since they are both capable of firing something. They even replace them with Ruger P85 airsofters.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:27:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/14/2005 8:28:27 PM EDT by uglygun]
Provided it was shipped legally from a manufacturer, distributor, or FFL. If UPS stalls on anything. Call the ATF and get them involved.

Theft of a firearm is a serious offense and if there is anything the UPS management folks don't like, it's having feds there giving them a shitload of grief about a firearm that was stolen from their system.

I work for UPS and have worked with the security personel within UPS who investigate regular thefts, I know how they stand on theft of firearms and they will take it serious. If you have a problem with somebody at UPS go up the chain.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:34:24 PM EDT
Free bump and tag for outcome.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:39:50 PM EDT
When I checked the tracking number it said plane was delayed. THEN they tried to attempt a delivery to my house this morning (package was shipped yesterday to FL next day air)

Then I call in and the UPS central says they need the shipping papers. I don;t know what that means becasue she has both my address and the terminal address.
Then she says its possibly the package was damaged and the addresses are destroyed. In my mind if the box is hurt then someone possibly ripped it open and stole it after it was delayed.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:43:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/14/2005 8:45:11 PM EDT by giacutter]
Use FedEx next time: they've never let me down, including when I shipped my wife's (then fiancee) 2 carat diamond engagement ring with them.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:44:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By giacutter:
Use FedEx next time: they've never let me down, including when I shipped my wife's (then fiancee) 2 carat diamond engagement ring with them.

Yeah that doesn't help my bro.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:45:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FredM:

Originally Posted By giacutter:

Yeah that doesn't help my bro.

Yeah, sorry. Maybe for next time.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:47:06 PM EDT
Tag
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:02:33 PM EDT
If/when they deliver it, make the UPS guy open the box and video tape it.
That way, if it is stolen or damaged, they can't accuse you of doing it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:10:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ATNT:
If/when they deliver it, make the UPS guy open the box and video tape it.
That way, if it is stolen or damaged, they can't accuse you of doing it.

I think I will have to go to the hub tommorow. They are gonna call me supposedly to verify some info. So if I have to go to the hub I should make them open it and then video tape it?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:48:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/14/2005 9:49:49 PM EDT by ATNT]

I think I will have to go to the hub tomorrow. They are gonna call me supposedly to verify some info. So if I have to go to the hub I should make them open it and then video tape it?

I once ordered some cheese that I am particular to.
Somewhere on the route to me, the box got half its bottom ripped off and the cheese lost.
I was expecting some other light weight stuff to arrive at about the same date so I thought it was that.
A few hours later, I open the box, find out what has happened and telephone UPS to complain.
The UPS representative claimed that I ripped the bottom out of the box to claim compensation and that if the box had indeed arrived in that condition, there was no way that the driver wouldn't have noticed.
The outcome was that somebody found the cheese and reported it, and I got apologies and some compensation.

Anyway, ever since, when I get a package delivered, before signing, I check for obvious damage and if there is any, I get the driver to open it and film it with the camera on my cell phone.
At least they can't accuse me that way.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:22:57 PM EDT
Sounds like they know what is in it if they want to verify info. Not a good sign.

Also, since you paid for next day shipping make sure they give you your money back.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:28:34 PM EDT
First, was the package insured?

Second, do you declair that there was a pistol in the package?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:57:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dpmmn:

they knew. as soon as i told her she opened it right up
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:58:17 PM EDT

Ok, was it insured????
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:00:23 AM EDT

Ok, was it insured????

yes
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:02:01 AM EDT

Ok, was it insured????

yes

UPS will try to locate it, if they come up empty handed then they will pay you the amount that you insured the package for
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:06:50 AM EDT

Ok, was it insured????

yes

UPS will try to locate it, if they come up empty handed then they will pay you the amount that you insured the package for

I heard they fight every claim no matter what. I am really hoping they just messed something up. If someone just stole it there has to be further actions beyond giving me money.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:15:07 AM EDT
When I was a driver, it has been a few years, UPS was always really good at paying off claims.

They sure will do their best to find that package, and being it was shipped Next Day Air it is not in the system for a long time.

Just remember, that package has had a "Trail" from the moment you dropped it off with them.

It was scanned at the customer service desk I
t was scanned when it when into sort
It was scanned again when it was loaded into a "Air" container and put on the Trailer
It was scanned again when it loaded on the aircraft
It was scanned again when it left the aircraft
It was scanned again when it was loaded on the trailer
It was scanned again when it went into sort
It was scanned again when it went into the package car.

This also gives UPS' "Loss Prevention" Team a place to start to look for your package
I would say it might take a couple of weeks, but if it was insured and it is now missing, they will pay off on the claim
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:17:55 AM EDT
Did she open it without you being there? Did she ask you if she could open it?

One thing I dont like about UPS vs the postal service is that the people in the stores like to prod through you packages and ask what is in them. USPS said they cant ask that it is your privacy unless it is potentially hazardous. The manager told me that a firearm isnt hazardous if it is unloaded so why would I tell them what it is and complicate things.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:58:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/15/2005 5:01:18 AM EDT by uglygun]
FredM, I gave you a PM with local numbers for the center in your area.

Somebody should pick up when you call either of those numbers, early in the morning it's likely to be preload supervisors who over see the unloading of trailers and loading of delivery trucks.

Closer to around 7-8AM local time you should be able to get ahold of an OMS secretary to help pull the package for a will call. She might even be able to tell you decisively why they are returning the package. When you call you might be able to get ahold of the center manager if things are really screwy, or atleast find out when he will be there so you can time your pick up of the package for when he is there.

It is 6:00 AM my time here in California, back there in Texas it's likely drivers will be heading out on road within the next hour or so. Doesn't give much time to try to get the package pulled, if you read this check your PM and call those numbers.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:07:59 AM EDT
Update. The handgun is fine. It was returned to me this morning and I took it.

Supposedly what happened was the airplane was late and some ghost who nobody knows, called the "Sender" (who i thought was me but is aparently someone who no one knows his/her name or time of contact) said to just send it back here.

So now total time on a next day air package for 45 dollars has taken 2 days to get back to me. And if I ship it to day it will take 3 days to get to FL.

I called the secretary and the only thing they offered to do is to try to ship it again. Shouldn't there be some better compensation? If I just asked for a refund and went to FEDex would that be alot better?
Top Top