Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2005 12:36:00 PM EDT
Who ships firearms, UPS or Fedex?  anything I should know before attempting to ship a firearm?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#1]
fedex, ups, and usps will.    i will be shipping a long gun in the mail to a ffl here in the next couple weeks.  i just have to bring a copy of his ffl with me,  Im using usps
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#2]
USPS will? i thought they dont ship firearms...?

they list they dont ship anytrhing "dangerous" haha...so what do I do exactly, go there throw it in a box beforehand, and just tell them its nothing dangerous?  Do i disclose to them whats in the box?  How does it work?

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried to ship through UPS once and they said they could not ship firearms.  So I went to FedEx and sent it as "sporting goods" insured for $1,500.00.  No problem.

Blake
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:02:07 PM EDT
[#4]
USPS' website says they ship long guns/rifles , just have to be unloaded..and you might be asked to confirm its unloaded to the postmaster, or by "certification".  I'll ship the rifle tomorrow probally then....how much will it be to ship?  would UPS be much cheaper?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I just sent a Turkish Mauser back, last week.  UPS .   The guy said I could put the bolt in the box the firearm was in.    He said for a pistol, it is differant story.    $13 and change, took a week to get to AZ.    Called them earlier and a diff. rifle on the way.  

Free insurance up to $100.    I paid $1 and change for extra insurance.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:31:53 PM EDT
[#6]
anyone have experience with USPS?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:36:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I always use USPS, they ask if it's anything dangerous, and I say no. IMO an unloaded gun isn't dangerous
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:36:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
anyone have experience with USPS?

USPS has always been just fine.  Just have it all boxed up and taped to hell and back.  Take it to the counter, say it is nothing hazardous when they ask (because it is not), get the insurance and received receipt for when the other party receives it.  Been pretty easy for me.

The local UPS store are nazis when it comes to guns.  I figured I could lie, but if it ever was lost even with insurance what do I say, "Uh...yeah....I said it was not a gun, but it was...now can I please have my money??"

Don't have experience with FedEx, but I hear they are better and UPS but not as easy as USPS.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#9]
My Florida gunsmith always uses USPS and it has worked well. I have had good results with FedEx on my curios too.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:52:28 PM EDT
[#10]
+1 on USPS. Never had a problem or had anyone look at me crosseyed. Get the insurance and don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:54:14 PM EDT
[#11]
The following conditions apply:
a. Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as handguns) are nonmailable in the domestic mail except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM C024.1.0.

b. The disassembled parts of a handgun or other type of nonmailable firearm that can be readily reassembled as a weapon are nonmailable except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM C024.1.0 or C024.2.0.

c. Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are generally permitted as specified in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM C024.2.0.

d. Unloaded rifles and shotguns may be mailed if the mailer fully complies with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90-618) and 18 U.S.C. 921. The mailer may be required to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not excluded from mailing because of the restrictions in 431.2b and c.

432.2 PS Form 1508
PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms, must be completed by each firearm manufacturer or dealer who deposits firearms for mailing. The form must be filed with the postmaster of the post office of mailing.

Exhibit 432.1
Mailability Requirements for Firearms

Handguns may be mailed by a licensed manufacturer or dealer, an authorized federal agent, or an authorized state, territory, or district agent ONLY when addressed to one of the following addressee categories for use in official duties:

Addressee Affidavit Requirements
a. Officer of Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, or organized reserve corps.

b. Officer of National Guard or militia of a state, district, or territory.
Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by commanding officer.

c. Officer of the federal government or a state, district, or territory whose official duty is to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.

d. USPS employees specifically authorized by the chief postal inspector.

e. Officer or employee of a U.S. enforcement agency.
Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by head of agency employing the addressee.

f. Watchman engaged in guarding federal, state, district, or territory property.
Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by chief clerk of department, bureau, or branch of government agency employing the addressee.

g. Purchasing agent or other designated member of an agency employing officers and personnel included in c, d, or e above.
Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of agency stating the firearm is to be used by an officer or employee cited in c, d, or e of the opposite column.

Unloaded Handgun
Mailer must be licensed manufacturer or dealer mailing to another licensed manufacturer or dealer. Addressee is FBI (or it's director) or scientific lab or crime detection bureau of any agency whose members are federal law enforcement officers, or state, district, or territory officers authorized to serve warrants of arrest or commitment. Manufacturers or dealers must complete PS form 1508,

Statement by Shipper of firearms, and file with postmaster.
Postmasters may forward an unsatisfactory mailer statement to their RCSC for a ruling.

Unloaded Rifle or Shotgun
Short-barrelled rifles or shotguns that can be concealed on a person are nonmailable.
Mailer must comply with Gun Control Act of 1968 and with the state and local laws. USPS may require mailer to open parcel or give written certification that weapon is unloaded and not concealable. Registered mail service is recommended.

Unloaded Antique Firearm
Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are acceptable for mailing.

432.3 Packaging and Marking
No markings of any kind that indicate the nature of the contents may be placed on the outside wrapper or container of any mailpiece containing firearms. Mailable matter must be properly and securely packaged within the general packaging requirements in DMM C010.

433 Mailer Responsibility
Even though certain types of firearms are permitted to be mailed within the provisions of the postal law in 18 U.S.C. 1715, it is the mailer's responsibility to comply with all federal and state regulations and local ordinances affecting the movement of firearms.

www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub52.htm
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#12]
FEDEX!!  USPS has NO traceability, regardless of what you pay for, and they will dodge any attempt at a claim for loss.  UPS just plain sucks ass.  I have used FEDEX exclusively for many tranactions and have never had a problem.  You have to ship at the Depot.

To further clarify, USPS will not consider a package lost until 2 weeks have passed.  Their "tracking" usually updates 2 days after the package arrives.  With FEDEX, it will accurately show where your package is, even if shipped by ground, at the last scan location.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:27:23 PM EDT
[#13]
UPS will ship long guns- DON'T go to the outlet stores, go to your local terminal. As long as you have an FFL for where it's going they just need to see it and then you get to pay for it. I've been shipping rifles for over a year now with my 03FFL and I just hold up mine and the one for the destination, another 03 or a dealer for those without. As long as there's the proper paper I've nevr had a problem.  Never shipped a handgun so I don't know how that will go.

They have computer terminals set up in the shipping area where you put in your info. After you establish an account the first time you just go in with the box and type in your password to access your acount. You even have an addres book feature that saves all the places you ship to- send something there again and you just click on that person/place and the label spits out.  

Fed-Ex isn't bad unless you get the people with the puppy on the trucks- the "Home Delivery"  people.They lost a rifle I had coming from Western Pa. to S.C. Pa. for a week. Six phone calls got six differant explainations about where my rifle was- everything from "It hasn't left the shipper yet" to "It got routed to a terminal in upstate N.Y. by mistake" to my personal favorite "We think the trailer caught fire on the road and burned but we won't know for sure for a day or two."henhaven
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:37:51 PM EDT
[#14]
some pro USPS, some very anti USPS...
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:43:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
some pro USPS, some very anti USPS...

Well legally a non FFL or whatever cannot mail a handgun with them.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Fedex ground and USPS registered mail are two of the most cost effective ways to ship a firearm other than a pistol.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Here are the basics to shipping a firearm (no pistols) through the mail.

1.  Use USPS
2.  Use plenty of bubble wrap and peanuts
3.  Ship Priority Mail
4.  Insure, insure, insure
5.  Get Delivery Confirmation (only 45 cents more)
6.  Keep all receipts
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Here are the basics to shipping a firearm (no pistols) through the mail.

1.  Use USPS
2.  Use plenty of bubble wrap and peanuts
3.  Ship Priority Mail
4.  Insure, insure, insure
5.  Get Delivery Confirmation (only 45 cents more)
6.  Keep all receipts

ok thanks...but one question, when they ask if you want insurance, do they ask what the item is or no?

I'll get this shipped out tomorrow, USPS looks like the best route.  They accept boxes as large as rifle boxes?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:19:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I have shipped more than 100 packages through the post office, and they have yet to ask me what the item was I insured.  Oh, and they do accept rifle size boxes.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:21:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I have shipped more than 100 packages through the post office, and they have yet to ask me what the item was I insured.  Oh, and they do accept rifle size boxes.

excellent, thanks a bunch Jason.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:23:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
With FEDEX, it will accurately show where your package is, even if shipped by ground, at the last scan location.  

Yea, right....

09 Dec 05
I have two Fedex shipments coming to me and I have been tracking them.
Both only track from the outbound, nothing inbound.
I call on both packages today (ammo and a firearm) to see WTF is going on.
Both show an "estimated" delivery date of tomorrow.
Talk to the Fedex rep, she says that "she can not find either tracking number in the system, but if both are to be delivered tomorrow then they should be there tomorrow".
I let her know I won't be home, so I will drive out to the Fedex hub on Monday and pick up the packages.
So I head on off to the garage to clean up the garage and clean a gun.
The wife gets home a couple hours later and finds a Fedex door tag on the front door.
WTF????
I am in the garage with the roll up door cracked open, the side door open, my truck in the driveway and the local talk show on the radio and the driver ignored me!!
Get off the phone with Fedex (again), the tell me they can't find either package in the system, "HOWEVER, we do show that you have a scheduled delivery for tomorrow".
I can't even get mad at this point.
At least they are going to try and redeliver it today.
I offered to meet the driver, but since it's a FIREARM I can't.

10 Dec 05
Went to the fun show on Saturday, guess what I found when I got home....
Not one but TWO tried to deliver tags on the front door.
This was after I called on Friday and told them not to deliver either package, that I would go pick them up on Monday from the hub.
I know it's Christmas, but goodness.....

12 Dec 05
FEDEX Ground and FEDEX Express both delivered to my house today.
One package STILL shows that it has not arrived in Seattle, the other shows delivery completed to me.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#22]
You can, it just has to be the overnight service.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
You can, it just has to be the overnight service.

IIRC, that is only handguns that have to go overnight priority. Supposedly more controls.

I ordered up (5) Mosin Nagants & (2) Yugo SKS's and they went regular UPS.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:03:52 AM EDT
[#24]
http://www.usps.com/forms/_pdf/ps1508.pdf

do i have to fill this out, is there anything special i have to do?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top