Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/6/2005 5:51:51 PM EDT
I am going to apply for a technical job at the louisville terminal in Ky.

I dont know any UPS employees to ask, so i thought i would post here.

How do you like UPS?
How bout benefits?
Oppurtunity for advancement?
How does UPS treat its employees?

Thanks...
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:56:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:58:57 PM EDT
Their drivers are union... ewww.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:37:49 PM EDT
I figured that pay there was great. I know for fact that the drivers have to "move it". Drivers definetely ern their money. I've wathced them around here. They are ALWAYS in a hurry. I assumed the sonic people would too.

I can imagine that around christmas time is total chaos.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:42:08 PM EDT
UPS is a good job. Great benefits and great pay. It is hard ass busting work. But not many jobs now a days are easy.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:32:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Patriot515:
I am going to apply for a technical job at the louisville terminal in Ky.

I dont know any UPS employees to ask, so i thought i would post here.

How do you like UPS? Great Company and Micro Managed
How bout benefits?The Govt does not even have as good as benefits
Oppurtunity for advancement? The Sky is the Limit
How does UPS treat its employees? Like shit, I think shit even gets treated better

Thanks...

Former UPS Employee checking in (I left UPS on my own)
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:35:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dpmmn:

sure you did.....big BROWN LEAVES YOU, not the other way around.....GOT IT!?!?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:39:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Patriot515:
I figured that pay there was great. I know for fact that the drivers have to "move it". Drivers definetely ern their money. I've wathced them around here. They are ALWAYS in a hurry. I assumed the sonic people would too.

I can imagine that around christmas time is total chaos.

From what I've seen the drivers haul ass so they can get done.
You dont go home till your done.
Pretty good incentive to haul some ass.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:40:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/6/2005 7:51:33 PM EDT by dpmmn]

Originally Posted By VTwin60:

sure you did.....big BROWN LEAVES YOU, not the other way around.....GOT IT!?!?

I worked for them Twice......Top that

Full Time Package Car and then Feeder Truck Driver from 1984 to 1990 and then I drove Package Cars Part time for them from 1996 to 2001 ( I had to add to my pension )
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:45:33 PM EDT
The UPS Retirement is the best out there, and you can add to it too with a 401K

But figure it like this if you put 30 years in you would get $3,000.00 a month for a pension from UPS including no cost medical, dental and eye
31 years gets you $3,100.00 a month
35 years gets you $3,500.00 a month
if you only worked for them 20 years you would get $2,000.00 a month

The trick is that you have to make it that long

I dont know about the Tech and office people, I'm sure they get shit on as bad as the drivers.
And I have no clue what pay they get. It is a good company though
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:49:24 PM EDT
Just so ya know, the delivery truck drivers that haul ass, get paid 85 grand a year starting in that posistion. In most places you can't hire straight into that anymore. You start off as a part time loader/un-loader and move up from there.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:52:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dusty_C:
Just so ya know, the delivery truck drivers that haul ass, get paid 85 grand a year starting in that posistion. In most places you can't hire straight into that anymore. You start off as a part time loader/un-loader and move up from there.

Shit........... Saleries went up
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:55:51 AM EDT
wow, thats a ton of money.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:13:12 AM EDT

The UPS Retirement is the best out there, and you can add to it too with a 401K

But figure it like this if you put 30 years in you would get $3,000.00 a month for a pension from UPS including no cost medical, dental and eye
31 years gets you $3,100.00 a month
35 years gets you $3,500.00 a month
if you only worked for them 20 years you would get $2,000.00 a month

The trick is that you have to make it that long

I dont know about the Tech and office people, I'm sure they get shit on as bad as the drivers.
And I have no clue what pay they get. It is a good company though

Not exactly, it depends on which group of teamsters is running the retirement. Central States is still that way, but here in Ohio its been so mismanaged you have to work close to 35 years to get a 30 year retirement. If my dad retires at 30 years, he'll get 2400/mo.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:22:32 AM EDT
They treat the part timers like shit, hourly union folks and part time management folks included.

I run the unload operation in our local facility while supervising 14-16 people trying to get 20-23 trailers a day unloaded(not in our christmas season yet).

I fucking hate my job and part of me is sorry for not sticking it out at the union part time hourly level for a bit longer so that I could have gone driving this year. At the time I was sick of being hourly, sick of being union, and figured a promotion to part time management would be a more fullfilling position. 2 years later and I'm so stressed out that I'm half tempted to start crushing shit, people's packages included.

My hours start at 3AM and go till just before 10AM in the morning, anytime I go over 5.5 hours in a day they bitch and whine because I'm only supposed to be part time. I am salary with that being based on 5.5 hours a day, I do earn "premium pay" anytime I go over 5.5 hours and go into proper overtime when I go over 8 hours.

I'm fucking burned out and hating life because of this job. Have an opportunity for a new position coming in Sept. which hopefully will allow me to move around in the company a little bit and finally fucking go full time.

Start practicing your cursing now, most all of the UPS employees I have met are some of the most foul mouthed f-bomb dropping asshats you've ever met.

Oh, and Feeder drivers make a fucking mint. They have shitty hours but all the drivers in our operation driving the tractor trailers are making 85+k dollars a year, not bad for Bakersfield Ca. where the average cost of living has been pretty low when set against the rest of California. But they are all working 60 hour weeks with shit hours(our guys haul trailers from the PM sort down to the LA area coming on the clock around 7-8pm then bring the trailers back up for the AM sort and don't leave till around 7:30-8:30AM).

As for the drivers, the pay scale does not start at the max pay right off. It's around 16 bucks an hour here for starting pay and over the course of 30 months it will climb until topping out at around 26 bucks an hour.
Top Top