Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2003 7:19:10 AM EDT
I spoke with the local UPS Health and Safety manager about their local business decision to "post" their customer counter in Minneapolis against lawful carry of pistols under a permit.

Initially he wanted to talk about HOW a company legally posts not the business decision as to WHETHER to post.  He acknowledged that Target, Sears, Wells Fargo, Bierlys, etc do not post although they are open to "the public" too.  He also seemed to be aware that UPS does not post in many other states which issue carry permits.  He continually tried to blame the "lawyers" for the local UPS management's BUSINESS DECISION.  He said he has a Minnesota permit and understands that only checked-out good guys with extensive training get permits.

He complained about calls from anti-gun groups and liability concerns (which he knows are no different at Target).  Eventually he brought up employees but he knew that the sign is unnecessary to deal with employees.  

That leaves customers.

I made clear that my issue wasn't the size/text/lettering/location of the sign itself but the business decision to (1) ban the good guys and (2) to DISCRIMINATE against permit holders in Minnesota when UPS does not do so in other states.  He had no answer to the question "what makes MINNESOTA permit holders so dangerous when UPS' permit carrying customers aren't banned in other states."    He really did not want to address that point!

I plan to take the discrimination point up with UPS higher-ups (and the internet).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top