Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2003 6:06:02 PM EDT
I was just at the NE Minnespolis UPS distribution center.  They have a "UPS bans guns in theses premises" sign next to the door to the customer counter.  

Do they have similar signs in other states (I've not heard of any) or are they just discriminating against responsible, competent, adult Minnesota carry permit holders?

As of Friday, FedEx had no signs.

I'm going to send me personal packages by FedEx Ground.
Ask those who ship to me to use a carrier othere than UPS.
Direct my business' shipping manager to cease using UPS and to ask our suppliers to ship to us by another carrier.
And spread this information far and wide.
UPS needs to feel the gun owner lash in Minnesota and in every other state.  

There is competition, we should support it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I was at the UPS customer counter last week and saw no sign (and I was looking for one) Went to Fed Ex today and they also had no sign posted.

echo6
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#2]
They are just picking on the CCW holders in that area.  They may have had a scare of some sort.

"Yeah let me get my wallet"
(gun peaks out)
clerk panics and hits the emergency button.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I hate OOPS.

I had four packages delivered today:

1 Came FEDEX
1 Came USPS
2 Came OOPS

We have had torrential rain all day...guess which two were wrapped in plastic and placed on the front porch as out of the rain as they could be, and which two were soaked to the core, sitting under the roof drip AND looked as though an elephant had sat on them?

Yep. Even the damn Mail carrier got out of her car, which she really doesn't have to do, and wrapped the package in plastic before putting it by the front door. FEDEX, well, I'm not at all surprised they went to the trouble to wrap the packs in plastic, and put them by the door, but not good 'ol Brown (Turds are brown, you know...)nope, that dickhead chucked the battered packages on the step, in the drip of the overhang, and not a scrap of plastic in sight. And I KNOW who runs last.

Screw OOPS.

SG
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:16:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I think this is a no win deal for us.  UPS for the reasons stated.  FEDEX left my wifes severence package check outside our door in an apartment complex.  It was supposed to be signed for but they left it anyway.  The clincher was they never even knocked because my wife was home and saw them.  They also left airline tickets without being signed for and the package with the tickets in was stolen.  Hell, last week they tried to drop something off here and all I found was a delivery notice that wasn't filled out except for the fact that it was signed for by someone to leave my package outside the door.  I did not sign it, so the driver obviously just made it up, didn't bother to put a tracking number or even an apartment number on the slip.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:24:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:39:31 PM EDT
[#6]
That makes no sense. I doubt Jerry's sports or Davidson's or Rock River Arms or Bushmaster, takes thier guns to UPS to ship. I am sure they use pickups. You have the same license they do.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So technically how are you to ship a handgun with UPS?

Even as a registered dealer they won't pick up from me. I have to take it to the service center.

Haven't used them in 2 years as a result of that policy.

Do you have an account?? I'm not an FFL holder and I have had pistols picked up, no problem. You have to have an account to get anything picked up.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:39:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Do they have similar signs in other states (I've not heard of any) or are they just discriminating against responsible, competent, adult Minnesota carry permit holders?

They've got one posted at the San Antonio (Leon Valley) office. Judging by the number of CCW holders in this city, it could quite possibly be the most-ignored sign in the entire nation...
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 10:01:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:44:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I posted this on a different thread but I'll put it here too because it fits into what ya'll are saying.  A buddy of mine that lives in Memphis worked a deal with me for a pistol that he had for an AR upper that I had.  He took the pistol to the service center and even though by Federal law he can legally ship to me(we live in the same state, law says it ok to transfer to a fellow resident)they wouldn't take the shipment. It seems that most common carriers ignore the Federal laws and make up their own F'ed up policies.  I gave him my local dealers address for him to ship to but because of this I'll have to pay my dealer $20 to accept the pistol and another $10 for the TIC's fee. UPS's stupid policy cost me $30 bucks when,by law, I should have been able to accept the package at my door with an adult signature.  From now on when ever I ship a firearm it'll go as "machine parts" , screw em' I'm sick of their policy.  It's too  bad that we all couldn't start our own "pro-gun" shipping business, we could make a bundle of money.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:53:35 AM EDT
[#11]
F4GIB, they are just saying that they don't want you to carry on their premises.  They aren't necessarily saying that you can't ship guns via UPS just by posting that sign.  Here is part of the MN CCW law:

27.35     Subd. 17.  [POSTING; TRESPASS.] (a) A person carrying a
27.36  firearm on or about his or her person or clothes under a permit
28.1   or otherwise who remains at a private establishment knowing that
28.2   the operator of the establishment or its agent has made a
28.3   reasonable request that firearms not be brought into the
28.4   establishment may be ordered to leave the premises.  A person
28.5   who fails to leave when so requested is guilty of a petty
28.6   misdemeanor.  The fine for a first offense must not exceed $25.  
28.7   Notwithstanding section 609.531, a firearm carried in violation
28.8   of this subdivision is not subject to forfeiture.
28.9      (b) As used in this subdivision, the terms in this
28.10  paragraph have the meanings given.
28.11     (1) "Reasonable request" means a request made under the
28.12  following circumstances:
28.13     (i) the requester has prominently posted a conspicuous sign
28.14  at every entrance to the establishment containing the following
28.15  language:  "(INDICATE IDENTITY OF OPERATOR) BANS GUNS IN THESE
28.16  PREMISES."; and ...

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:57:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Even as a registered dealer they won't pick up from me. I have to take it to the service center.

Your kidding?

We do UPS drops here at the store all the time.
The UPS guys know exactly where to go to pick up the outbound guns.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:05:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your kidding?

HeeeHe, UPS picksup and delivers to me all the time-Tim, think Sistema...Heehe
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:12:42 AM EDT
[#14]
People are so damned stupid. I had a teacher tell me I could not bring my weapon on the school grounds and I was in freaking uniform and answering a complaint for them. I told her she was crazy, in those words, and came on in.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:31:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I bet schools wont allow swat on the scene next time there is a serious situation.

"Sorry sir, those guns are not allowed, you can bring your flashlight."
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:12:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your kidding?

HeeeHe, UPS picksup and delivers to me all the time-Tim, think Sistema...Heehe

Me--><---W-W....

I might be getting a Sistema in almost perfect condition for a low price (Think almost free!!).

If things pan out....

I also might be trading my Mod36 J Frame for a Sistema ( It's a beater gun, but it runs!!).
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:05:39 AM EDT
[#17]
This thread is just another example showing that action needs to be taken at a legislative level.  Most of these restrictions were forced in by liberals who don't want you to have, let alone carry, guns.  The idea is that if they can't stop the tide of the legitimate CCW's, then they can make it sufficiently impossible for you to comply and carry that you will give up.  It's a pussy tactic, but can work if you feel the need to comply with the letter of the law.

The use of "private property rights" aas a reason to allow restrictions is specious at best (ok, plainly speaking, it is bullshit).  These people are operating a public accommodation (even though it is a private company on private property, public accommodation has restrictions on otherwise private property rights).  Want to see the private property excuse disappear?  How about prohibiting a "person of color"?  You can do that on your own private property.  But, whether it is UPS or a lunch counter, the private property argument is not absolute in a public accommodation.  

Do something about that silly application of "private property."  It is just a way of nickle and diming away your gun rights, and other rights, as well.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#18]
You've hit on a very good point, this is a open and shut case of discrimiation plain and simple. As firearms owners in general and CCW holders in perticular we are being discriminated against because we choose to exercise our 2nd Amend. Rights.  When colored people broke the law in the 50's in order to exercise their rights they were held up as heros, now we need to stand up for our rights even if it means breaking a law or two because it's our right as an American citizen to own and carry firearms.  So, really, this isn't so much a 2nd. Amend. Rights issue as it is a Civil Rights issue.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#19]
"Sorry! Yo no leo ingles...."

"Now, can you ship this to Topeka for me?"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top