Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2006 12:42:14 PM EDT
I have been in law enforcement since 1994 and went to my worst call ever Saturday 03/04/2006 at approximately 1625hrs.

I was pulling into my driveway at home and the dispatcher called my # and advised me of a house fire in town.  I live about six miles out so I started that way and called my partner (home on call) and told him about the fire.  He said he'd start that way too.  You know how it is figured I'd get there set up some traffic control, wait for the Fire Department, and assist if I could. I wasn't running too hot, just hurrying some.

Well you never know what it is exactally you are going to:  While in route the dispatcher came back over for me again..... I noticed her voice was sharp and anxious... "Be advised, step it up if you can, report of a small child still inside the house, I am starting EMS for you."

What do you do man? Code 3, all that a police interceptor will do, all my lights on, sirenes, running head on at 120mph toward on coming cars, it's going to be ok, they'll get him out..... I did not get there fast enough.

When I went 97 I saw my pastor trying to climb inside of a back window with a garden hose (he just happened by), another man running to help, black smoke and fire pouring out of the home.  Momma sitting on the front lawn screaming "MY BABY MY BABY OH GOD HELP MY BABY PLEASE!"  Then to make it even worse it was a fireman's home, a guy who is a friend of mine, this is his family, his kid.

From this moment on it was not even real to me.  I was in a altered state of mind and felt like I was doing everything in slow motion.  The fire was too hot to even put your arm into a window/door much less try to do an entry.

As the first truck got there a fireman, already in bunker gear,  masked up and got into a window for about 2 seconds then dove out,  the heat was so bad it melted the stickers off his helment.  

We finally got a charged hose there and tried again, but it was just too hot.  Then it hit, we can't do anything at all, We have done all we can do and we haven't even made a differnece.  I was determined to get the kid out, but I couldn't.

I've been to a lot of wrecks, deaths, and such, but this is my first to be there as something like this is occouring, to feel the bitterness of  helplessness, to be so grieved, and to know the family.

Today I want you guys to remember this young family in your prayers.  The child was 2 1/2 years old his name is Shelby.  Daddy's name is Adrian, and Momma's name is Crystal.  There are two older kids also that lost their baby brother.
When I got home that night  I told my wife and daughter that I just wanted to go sit in the hot tub with them.  We did for 2 hours and just had some family time together.

To all of "The Brothers of the Sheild."  May God be with us and our families where ever we may be.

www.muskogeephoenix.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060306/NEWS01/60305020/1002

Thanks for all the positive posts and prayers, I am doing well.  Just FYI the community has really got behind this young family, we had a benefit dinner Saturday night 3/11/06 tons of food was donated and over $10,000 dollars was raised for this family.

Most of us are all doing really well now, there are still a few firefighters and my Police Chief that are really taking it hard so remember them in your prayers a couple of these guys are almost in zombie mode.....

Be Safe and God Bless
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:49:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow -
This was a hell of a rough day.

May God keep those who did not make it.
May God keep those who did make it, for they have the more difficult path.

You and all involved are in my prayers.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:51:48 PM EDT
[#2]
damn....
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:52:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:59:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn

Im at a loss for words

Prayers for all involved
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Tragic...... simply tragic.  I doesn't get any worse than kids dying.  My prayers with the family and may God rest the soul of that poor little boy.  Try your best not to dwell on it, but like you already said, appreciate your loved ones and family even more.  As tough as it can be, sometimes talking about it with your wife can help.  Good luck, bro.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Absolutely tragic.

Sorry you had to go through that man.

Prayers sent to the family and all brothers of the shield

Be Safe Brothers
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:23:22 PM EDT
[#8]
As you're probably aware, almost all "fire" victims actually die from smoke inhalation, long before the actual fire ever gets to them.

If it makes any difference, Shelby was dead by the time you got there.

Not trying to be a hardass here - just trying to help you realize that, as far along as it sounds like the fire was, there really was nothing you could have done.

My condolences to your friend and his family.

Thanks to you for doing what you could, and being there to bear witness. It's a lot different when it's personal.

Thoughts and prayers to all involved.

<edited to remove smiley - not intended to make light of the situation - T7>
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#9]
What a horrible, horrible tragedy for the family and community to face. Prayers inbound.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Amen Brother. Amen.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#11]
man im sorry to hear being a fellow brother i know what this job is all about!

I send my prayers and sorrow out to those involved including you, the worst feeling in the world is to be the guy who everyone looks at to help and knowing you cant!

Fire is a living breathing thing, it eats it sleeps,it breaths and destroys everything in its path but atleast you are one of the many that are brave enough to stare hell in the eye's and give it your all

amen brother
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:47:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Very sad    
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:20:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Prayers out to adrian and crystal...i know shelby is doing fine.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:28:32 AM EDT
[#14]
God rest that child's soul, prayers for that family and for yours and all other emergency responders out there, you are our soldiers here at home and people should always remember that.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#15]
 Prayers sent.  Made me cry 'cause I have a 4 year old, an 18 month old and one on the way.  Shelby is with the Lord right now waiting on his siblings and parents.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#16]
That is by far a first responders worst nightmare. Hang in there as time will heal your wounds. RIP little one, you are in a better place I am sure.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:06:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#18]
My sympathies to the family and you. We see things that no one should ever have to. Please talk to someone about this,even if you think you dont need to.

Stay safe
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:33:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Shelby's funeral was yesterday, it was about as good as a funeral could be for the situation at hand.  The 1st song was Kenny Chesney "Who you'd be today?"  Not sure the name.  Then one of the Aunts said some words that told about Shelby and it was really good.  Next song was Brad Pasley "When I get to where I'm going"  Then the preacher spoke and did a good job, then some other song I never heard that was really good.

There were a ton of freinds and family there along with Firemen, EMTs, and Police Officers.  The city is having a benefit dinner for the family Saturday night so that is a good thing.  

Also, the fire marshall found that the fire started in the room where Shelby was, so that 'in a way' helps answer some tough questions that we all keep pondering.  I beat myself up all weekend long thinking I could of done more, but like I said, this news sorta helped with some of that.  I know it has helped all of us sorta deal with it a little better.

Hey, keep Momma and Daddy in your prayers they really need it right now.  I am doing a lot better, I thank God for giving me comfort and peace, and thank you guys and gals for your prayers.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
 Prayers sent.  Made me cry Me Too  

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#21]
God bless.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:08:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I keep coming back to this thread

It reminds me how precious life is and how much I cherish my family.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:23:27 AM EDT
[#23]

kids are real hard to handle.  prayers sent for them and you.  you need them too after somthing like that
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:51:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Having dealt with a child death not to long ago I understand that helpless feeling.  But know you don't face anything alone.  We are all brothers and sisters and we all lean on each other.  

My prayers go out to the family and their loss.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:19:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Awful story.  Brought tears to my eyes.  I can't imagine what it would feel like to lose him like that.  I know that I may have to go to a fire call like that some day, but hope I never do.  Awful.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:19:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for all the positive posts and prayers, I am doing well. Just FYI the community has really got behind this young family, we had a benefit dinner Saturday night 3/11/06 tons of food was donated and over $10,000 dollars was raised for this family.

Most of us are all doing really well now, there are still a few firefighters and my Police Chief that are really taking it hard so remember them in your prayers a couple of these guys are almost in zombie mode.....

Be Safe and God Bless
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#27]
God bless.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#28]
It does hit pretty close to home. God bless everyone involved.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top