Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2006 8:24:43 AM EDT
My younger brother (fellow Arfcommer too! though I forget exactly how to spell his username) graduates from USMC bootcamp this weekend and we're going out to see him and bring him home for 10 days before he goes off for more training.

I know my CWP would not be valid over there for obvious reasons, but should I even bother bringing my pistol with me to keep in the hotel room? Or would I even be able to get it out of the airport? Or if I can bring it should I be paranoid about housekeeping stealing the damn thing while I'm out and about?

UPDATE:

Thanks for the info PaDanby. We wound up flying both ways so I did not take my gun. My stay in San Diego was enjoyable. I took a bunch of pics of my brother's graduation and will post them in another thread in a bit!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#1]
If you bring your pistol, get a plane ticket for your lawyer as well.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:28:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Unless the room has a safe, no. I would not leave a handgun, laptop or anything of real value in a hotel room.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:28:26 AM EDT
[#3]
go ahead and take it and then go visit Disney Land...
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:29:32 AM EDT
[#4]
You're just going to have to go without, Cleatus.

If you did have to use your weapon, you'd be the criminal.  Not the bad guy.

Shit.  I'm driving the family to sea world later this year.  I'm weighing the risks of taking my gun with me too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:37:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I appreciate the actual serious and helpful responses from Markm and Bama-Shooter. I have flown with my gun a couple of times before with no problems, but that was to Texas, a CWP friendly state. I know CA does not honor my AZ permit, so concealed carry would be an huge no no. I just wasn't sure whether they would let out of staters even have a gun in a hotel or even let them bring one with them on an airline flight.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:45:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I appreciate the actual serious and helpful responses from Markm and Bama-Shooter. I have flown with my gun a couple of times before with no problems, but that was to Texas, a CWP friendly state. I know CA does not honor my AZ permit, so concealed carry would be an huge no no. I just wasn't sure whether they would let out of staters even have a gun in a hotel or even let them bring one with them  on an airline flight.

You can as long as you declare it with the airlines, I always got a little nervous about that because they tag your bag.  As for the hotel rooms, as long as there is a safe you should be okay. You do not even have to tell them you have it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#7]
fwiw-I have left laptops and (other) items of value in my hotel rooms throughout Cali without a problem for the past 5 years. I stay about 100 days per year, usually Holiday Inn.     I always hide the items and put up the "do not disturb" sign.     I've probably just been lucky so far.

I wouldn't CCW if I were you.  It's just way more hassle than it's worth for your particular situation.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Yea good Idea take it with you
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:00:37 AM EDT
[#9]
You CANNOT have a loaded gun in your car in CA without a CA CCW.

And you have to transport the gun in your trunk unloaded.

As the law is written, bullets in magazines can be considered "loaded".  Even if the magazine is not in the gun.

I used to have a gun in my car when I lived in CA.  It was a lever action .45.  It was the only way to have an accessible gun that could be used fairly quickly.

I wouldn't take your gun.   CA has no respect for  law abiding gun owners.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:10:57 AM EDT
[#10]
leave the guns and bring the flowers
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:18:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Carry anyhoos.

Your weapon will be ready at the baggage claim.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:20:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Alien:  Personally, I would not bring your pistol to Calif, mainly because you stand a very good chance of the airlines loosing it.  The number of pieces of lugguage has grown tremendously.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:02:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Where are you planning on going while you are out here? Taking it to MCRD, other bases or Tijuana is a big opportunity to explore the unpleseantries of exotic justice systems.

If you are going to leave it locked in the room safe most of the time why bother?  If you were to take it and leave it in the car I'ld take a case you can lock to something in the car.  Not a big problem, but I wouldn't leavae a gun unsecured in the parking lots of Balboa Park, Cabrillo National Monument or similar places, they do have minor theft problems. A thief walking out to a car popping the trunk and getting something out looks just like a tourist walking out to his car and getting something out.

I personally wouldn't carry in the Zoo, the Wild Animal Park or Seaworld.  I do (maybe) in Anza-Borrego.

Getting it out of the airport (if it arrived with you) would be no problem.  Unless things have changed greatly, nobody even checks against the luggage tags down there.

Unless you wander in to either Barrio Logan or SE San Diego, not overly easy to do, and while there cause a commotion, you really don't have to worry about needing a CCW.  

So if it makes you feel better take it and keep it secured or behave smart and not bother to take it.

BTW, thats Disneyland (one word) and carrying is no problem if you keep it concealed on you.  They do bag checks but that's it.  If we catch you we stick a stick up your butt, stick you in Small World and make you sing.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Shit.  I'm driving the family to sea world later this year.  I'm weighing the risks of taking my gun with me too.

Go to Sea World in San Antonio, then you can bring and wear your piece proudly.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:20:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Why?  Fly to John Wayne Airport so we can arrest your dumb ass like all the othe Ninjas.  Do us all a favor and leave it at home.  If you insist make sure it is unloaded and declare and check it in your NON carry-on baggage.  That way you do not get arrested and the convict rampers who load baggage can steal it.  You people crack me up.  Are you the same one who wanted to carry at Disney World?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:50:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:52:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Why?  Fly to John Wayne Airport so we can arrest your dumb ass like all the othe Ninjas.  Do us all a favor and leave it at home.  If you insist make sure it is unloaded and declare and check it in your NON carry-on baggage.  That way you do not get arrested and the convict rampers who load baggage can steal it.  You people crack me up.  Are you the same one who wanted to carry at Disney World?

As Spicoli said: "DICK!"
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:58:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny my wife calls me the same thing.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:58:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:57:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Leave it at home as much as I miss San Diego, Kalifornia is not the place for out of state Firearms enthusiasts. Enjoy MCRD and try to eat at Santanas( cheap good Mexican food)  it's not too far away near the Rosecrans and Nimitz bvld intersection past McDonalds and Dennys.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:41:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:12:16 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Go back to the Dee U, Shit for brains!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:13:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go to Sea World in San Antonio, then you can bring and wear your piece proudly.

That's what I said, but the woman wants to go to the sewer. (Scum Diego)
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:25:00 AM EDT
[#24]
I always take mine to SD.  However, you better not try to take it on the base.  Where else would you leave it?  

CCW is still a misdemeanor there, however, you will probably be carrying a gun that is not 'registered' in CA with the DOJ.  Many of mine are.  So, that would be another charge.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:46:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Carry anyhoos.

Are you being serious or sarcastic and meaning the TSA and or CA DoJ employees will be there with my luggage?

Quoted:
I always take mine to SD.  However, you better not try to take it on the base.  Where else would you leave it?  

CCW is still a misdemeanor there, however, you will probably be carrying a gun that is not 'registered' in CA with the DOJ.  Many of mine are.  So, that would be another charge.

I know I can't take it on the base.

Quoted:
Echo Company! What platoon is your brother in? My friend graduates with them and I'll be down there. His board name here is ColonelKlink.

In all seriousness, I think he's in Echo Company!

Quoted:

I don't have to justify to you why.

Anyway, I have to drive back, so I wanted to have it with me. Do they not allow out of staters to bring a handgun into the state without prior registration at all? Even if I take it unloaded with 10 round mags I would still be in deep crap? Or do I really risk it getting confiscated at the airport?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:12:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Carry anyhoos.

Are you being serious or sarcastic and meaning the TSA and or CA DoJ employees will be there with my luggage?

I was wondering this myself.  One of the Phx P.D. instructors was telling us that even Phx COPS have been arrested for having their guns with them in Cali!!  What a fucking state!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:15:57 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Carry anyhoos.

I was wondering this myself.  One of the Phx P.D. instructors was telling us that even Phx COPS have been arrested for having their guns with them in Cali!!  What a fucking state!

I wonder if they can still do that since they have passed the national CCW for LEOs.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:41:08 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I wonder if they can still do that since they have passed the national CCW for LEOs.

No.  This was before that provision was in place.  I don't know what agencies made the arrests.  I guess I just assumed the arrests were results of traffic stops, but I didn't get more info.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I appreciate the actual serious and helpful responses from Markm and Bama-Shooter. I have flown with my gun a couple of times before with no problems, but that was to Texas, a CWP friendly state. I know CA does not honor my AZ permit, so concealed carry would be an huge no no. I just wasn't sure whether they would let out of staters even have a gun in a hotel or even let them bring one with them  on an airline flight.

You can as long as you declare it with the airlines, I always got a little nervous about that because they tag your bag.  As for the hotel rooms, as long as there is a safe you should be okay. You do not even have to tell them you have it.

Tag your bag?  The many times, over 100, that I have flown and checked a pistol, the tag went inside the locked case.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:08:42 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tag your bag?  The many times, over 100, that I have flown and checked a pistol, the tag went inside the locked case.

+100  yes, inside the case.

As far as registration, unless you are going to an organized shoot, you are an "importer" unless something has been changed.  This applies if you are caught packing, not if properly in the trunk in a locked case.  I haven't kept up for about 3 years.  You also need a CA approved case for transport in a vehicle now, I think.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Keerist bring the fucking thing and keep it hidden or locked as appropriate.  Check out the CA DoJ page for the laws or ask on the CA Forum.  the BS level in many of the posts is unbelievable.

You would not be an importer unless you intend to sell it, it does not have to meet the CA safety rules, although I would avoid hi-cap mags, there is no such thing as a CA approved case for carrying it "locked" in your vehicle, hell a pistol rug/bag "locked" with anything that resembles a lock passes the test.  Fly with it declared in your baggage.  

Take it in the locked luggage out and lock it in the trunk until you get to the hotel/motel, or any other place you feel like to move it to a better place in the car.  You are not breaking any laws and there is no probable cause to stop you for anything.  In fact I wouldn't necessarily be too worried about going right to MCRD like that (locked in both cases).  I probably wouldn't do it but if I had been on a trip to the desert and stopped at the base on the way, I would tell the Sentry at the Gate that it was there and ask if I could carry it through, etc.  It's been a few years but everytime I've asked I've been told "Keep it locked.  Have a nice day, Sir."

As much as the CA bashers would like you to believe otherwise, we too have to have probable cause to have our vehicles searches, we don't have thousands of LEOs waiting to arrest and throw away the key on tourists.  Crime is not rampant in all our cities in all our neighborhoods all the time everywhere aaaaaahhhhhhhh.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Once again, I thank God I live in Florida.

Once again, we do too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

If you did have to use your weapon, you'd be the criminal.   Very unlikely if it was a good shoot.Not the bad guy.

Shit.  I'm driving the family to sea world later this year.  I'm weighing the risks of taking my gun   PISTOL  (I hope, your Mrs. ain't gonna be happy if you are in SD and your "gun" is back in AZ) with me too.

Bring it and be smart.  Being dumb with it is your biggest risk and you control that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:03:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Ah ,the days when one could go to a funshop in Sam Marcos and buy an AR-15.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:51:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:01:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Last time the Mrs and I stayed in SanDiego we both brought our pieces. We both carried concealed while there. Nothing went down so we were fine. We were staying on a friend's boat and walked everywhere and I am glad we carried due to our having traversed some questionable neighborhoods between the marina and the zoo.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:15:39 AM EDT
[#38]
What are the rules in Cali for keeping it in a case in the passenger compartment of your vehicle?  Even if you had to load the mags before using it it would beat the shit out of no weapon at all.  Why not a revolver in such a situation?  Much faster to load loose ammo into...

I would call ahead to the base before trying to get through the guard shack at MCRD even if it's double cased and locked.  You never know if you're gonna get a guard who doesn't know the actual regs and overreacts as a CYA exercise...

When I was at MCRD as a USMC recruit in 87 I recall the PX actually sold guns retail, so I assume there are appropriate ways to possess a private weapon on base...

Other than that, find out the real laws in Cali.  Perhaps a call to a gun friendly police jurisdiction out there beforehand to inquire.  How about it Cali members?  What's a gun-friendly Cali PD he could call to ask?

ETA:  and of course, bring a California-legal piece.  Why borrow trouble when a good wheelgun or 1911 will do just fine?

If it truly is only a misdemeanor and won't cause you to lose your firearms rights due to a weapon-related offense, I'd say risk the misdeameanor and carry if you feel the need, but be smart and obey the speed limits, wear appropriate clothing to properly conceal your piece, and just generally don't attract attention to yourself.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:34:06 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny my wife calls me the same thing.

She's got a point there...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Try looking on the CA AG firearms pages  ag.ca.gov/firearms/index.html with regard to transporting, concealing, etc.

As far as bring in a non CA compliant firearm, that's not applicable, it only pertains to sales of new guns, not carrying or  private party sales, etc.

HANDGUNS

California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not within any of the classes excepted from firearm possession and who resides or is temporarily in California from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person if the firearm is unloaded and in a locked container.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.

You can have ammo in a magazine but the magazine or ammo can not be attached to the gun.  Having in a separate container is sufficient.  If it's an SUV, the container(s) should be out of the immediate reach of the occupants to the extent possible.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:22:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for the info PaDanby. We wound up flying both ways so I did not take my gun. My stay in San Diego was enjoyable. I took a bunch of pics of my brother's graduation and will post them in another thread in a bit!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:07:41 PM EDT
[#42]
pistol PISTOL you took your gun with you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top