Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2003 11:15:16 PM EDT

BROOKLYN MAN KILLS BURGLAR IN BEDROOM

December 29, 2003 --  A Brooklyn man blew away an intruder who broke into his apartment yesterday in an apparent robbery attempt, authorities said.

The would-be crook broke into the first-floor apartment at 600 E. 16th St. in Flatbush at around 6:45 p.m., and ran into the tenant in the bedroom, police sources said.

That's when the intruder pulled out a fake gun - and the resident responded by shooting him one time in the face with a real 9mm handgun.

The burglar was pronounced dead at the scene.

A second suspect was arrested last night, but police said it was unclear what his role was.

Cops said the shooter was at home with his girlfriend when the robber broke in, possibly through a window.

He called 911 after killing the intruder and was taken with his girlfriend to the 70th Precinct station house for further questioning, cops said.

It was not clear whether he had a permit for the gun, but he was not immediately charged.

Police said the 29-year-old dead man, whose name was withheld pending notification of relatives, was driving a gray Acura with a Massachusetts license plate.

His girlfriend, Liline Augustin, 25, said he was a construction worker who used to live in the building.

She said they have a 1-year-old son.

"All I know is that I got a call that he was shot and I came down here to see what happened," Augustin said.

"I've known him for five years. He's never done anything bad. He's known for being a really good person."

The building's superintendent, Carl Jagdal, 44, said the tenants in the apartment the man was trying to rob "seem nice," but "you never know.

"People say hello and goodbye all the time, but you don't know what happens behind closed doors."

Neighbors said the burglarized couple have two children who were not home at the time of the shooting.

UPDATED:

Note to self: Always remember to get rid of the 1 lb bag of pot BEFORE you call the cops to your house.

SHOOTING BACKFIRES: BURGLAR-SLAYER BUSTED
December 30, 2003 --  A Brooklyn man celebrated his 34th birthday in a jail cell after he used an illegal gun to blow away an intruder he said was trying to rob his apartment - where cops found a pound of pot, authorities said.

Sheldon Barrow used the .40-caliber gun to kill Fisher Canton, 29, inside his apartment at 600 East 18th St. in Flatbush, the Brooklyn District Attorney's Office said yesterday.

Prosecutors said they were continuing their investigation into the Sunday-evening shooting to determine if the slaying was self-defense or whether Barrow should face more serious charges.

If the case is ruled a homicide, Canton's death would be the 586th murder recorded this year, compared to 584 slayings last year.

Bullets started flying in Barrow's apartment at about 7 p.m. after Canton - a construction worker - and an unidentified accomplice apparently climbed into the apartment through a first-floor window.

Also in the apartment was Barrow's live-in girlfriend, Beverly Seales, 35.

Canton, allegedly brandishing a realistic-looking pellet gun, confronted the couple inside their bedroom. The intruders demanded money in what police suspect might have been a drug-related rip-off, a source said.

Barrow fought back and, during the battle, grabbed hold of the unlicensed gun that he stashed near his bed. He squeezed off a single shot that struck Canton in the face, police said.

As the mortally wounded Canton hit the floor, his accomplice, described as a man in his late teens or early 20s, bolted out the window.

Barrow then called 911 and reported he'd shot an intruder.

After being interrogated for hours, Barrow was formally placed under arrest.

Oh, and DON'T tell the cops the unregistered gun is YOURS - say it's the one you restled away from the BURGLAR!

Records show that Barrow had been arrested twice in 2002 in The Bronx. He was jailed for three months between June and September on a reckless-endangerment charge. He then served another five months between October 2002 and March 2003 for weapons possession. Details of the crimes were not available.

Oh forget it - he was a two-bit fucktard loser anyway.

See ya!

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:30:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Hurry and get ride of this. It's been done.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:49:10 PM EDT
[#2]
O.K. idiot robbing bar with a BB gun vs. Cop with a S&W 4506. Who do you think won?

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:52:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it just me or does the following seem disturbing.  

Quote:

Police said the 29-year-old dead man, whose name was withheld pending notification of relatives, was driving a gray Acura with a Massachusetts license plate.

His girlfriend, Liline Augustin, 25, said he was a construction worker who used to live in the building.

[red]She said they have a 1-year-old son.

"All I know is that I got a call that he was shot and I came down here to see what happened," Augustin said.

"I've known him for five years. He's never done anything bad. He's known for being a really good person." [/red]

[blue] Trying to garner sympathy for the scumbag who started the whole thing by breaking and entering.  [/blue]

[red]The building's superintendent, Carl Jagdal, 44, said the tenants in the apartment the man was trying to rob "seem nice," but "you never know.

"People say hello and goodbye all the time, but you don't know what happens behind closed doors." [/red]

[blue] What is up with this???  Trying to make anyone who is armed and willing to defend himself, his family, and neighbors look like they are bad??? [/blue]

end Quote:

Does this not just show that we as a society are losing our ability to be personally responsible for our own actions.  
[soapbox]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:02:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Well no more B&E for this one.

One down and more to go.

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:21:50 PM EDT
[#5]
BTT for update.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 3:48:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Now we know why he didn't flush the weed down the toilet.  HA!  That anwsers my question from the original post.  1 pound of herb down the drink will make any drug dealer think twice. LOL!  

Wave was right.  A perp ripping off perp!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top