Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/4/2008 5:16:30 AM EDT

www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/jun/03/crime?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront

A woman accused of having a knife in public has walked free from court - saved by a sausage, lawyers said today.

Jane Bellas, 29, from Penrith, Cumbria, avoided a miscarriage of justice after being spotted handling the foodstuff, Carlisle crown court heard.

Bellas was arrested in her car near her home on January 31 after officers spotted her with a kitchen knife. Bellas protested her innocence, telling police officers she needed the knife for her job on a fast food stall in Penrith's market square.

But the local council was unable to confirm that she had a licence, and she was charged with having a knife in a public place without good reason. The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS)ploughed on with the prosecution, appointing solicitors and gathering evidence from the police.

But Tim Evans, a barrister in the case, told Carlisle Crown Court yesterday a sausage had saved the day. Council records showed food inspectors had earlier seen Bellas "tinkering with a generator while handling a sausage", Mr Evans said. This proved the defendant had a valid reason for carrying a knife in public: her occupation.

The Crown offered no evidence against her. Bellas was formally found not guilty and given £10 to cover her travelling expenses.

A spokesman said: "The CPS keeps all cases under continuous review. In this case, new evidence came to light that Jane Bellas had a valid reason for carrying a knife in a public place. We accepted that the knife was for use at her place of work. Therefore we offered no evidence."
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:17:50 AM EDT
it's just getting worse...
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:18:55 AM EDT
Man o man a KNIFE in public what was she thinking
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:20:50 AM EDT
The sausage saves her behind.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:21:25 AM EDT
"Great" Britain's nanny state at work again.

How a nation with such a long and proud history has come to this I just cannot understand.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:21:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:25:20 AM EDT
Quoted:

officers spotted her with a kitchen knife.
quote]

People carry kitchen knives. What is the world coming too!

Future Headlines:
7 year old arrested for waving pointy stick on play ground.

9 year old arrested for skipping stone across water
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:26:34 AM EDT
Someone remind me to carry sausages next time I go to the UK.

If some drunk bastard messes with me I may not be able to defend myself with a gun but at least I can beat the fucker to death with 10lb of assorted pig parts.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:28:53 AM EDT
zomg!  A piece of metal that is thin on one side and comes to a point!  Run for your lives!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:29:28 AM EDT
Yeah, be very wary.  I was over there recently and all over the news they were talking about the "knife culture" and encouraging people to 'think' before they carry a knife.  Basically all the junk people say about guns, turned onto knives now.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:04:21 AM EDT

Quoted:
Yeah, be very wary.  I was over there recently and all over the news they were talking about the "knife culture" and encouraging people to 'think' before they carry a knife.  Basically all the junk people say about guns, turned onto knives now.

That'll be us in 15 years

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:10:41 AM EDT
Slow news day on ARFCOM again I see…
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:14:17 AM EDT

Quoted:

What if you're having a picnic, can you guys have sharp knives with you in the basket? Or if you have a summer sausage and some crackers in your lunch pail?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:14:23 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:15:35 AM EDT
That's no justification... Why couldn't she just tear the sausage with her hands?

If she did, that would be one less deadly knife on the streets.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:17:51 AM EDT
Walking in public without a good reason.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:19:44 AM EDT
I still contend they need to STFU and stop whining about who WE should elect as president when they have this shinning example of their freedom[>://
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:21:07 AM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

What if you're having a picnic, can you guys have sharp knives with you in the basket? Or if you have a summer sausage and some crackers in your lunch pail?

Yes, and I carry a Ka-Bar lock knife 24/7 in my pants pocket and Mrs Vito carries a small SMith & Wesson folder and a penknife in her bag
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:21:26 AM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but if you ate all the sausages, you'd have to turn the knife in to the nearest authority immediately. No more reason to have it, y'see...
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:22:22 AM EDT
Couldn't the sausage be used as a bludgeon, I know mine could.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:22:30 AM EDT

"tinkering with a generator while handling a sausage"

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:23:11 AM EDT

Quoted:

OK there, buddy.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:24:02 AM EDT
I can't believe how far that country has fallen.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:26:41 AM EDT

Quoted:

...Bellas was formally found not guilty and given £10 to cover her travelling expenses.

what?? "not guilty, and here's a $20 for lunch"!!!!!!

you get paid to win???
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:28:38 AM EDT

Quoted:

Wasn't paying attention to that.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:30:23 AM EDT
Ahhhh.... the old "Sausage Defense".  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:31:22 AM EDT
If you don't cut the sasauge you can actually choke on it.

Also it can raise your blood pressure as well.,

Ban Sausages!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:32:25 AM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, and I carry a Ka-Bar lock knife 24/7 in my pants pocket and Mrs Vito carries a small SMith & Wesson folder and a penknife in her bag

In before 'Me and me wife got nabbed by the bobbies and it looks like we're going to be busy for the next 5 to 10.'
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:33:24 AM EDT

Quoted:
If you don't cut the sasauge you can actually choke on it.

Also it can raise your blood pressure as well.,

Ban Sausages!

Sorry, I don't choke on sausages. I eat sausage.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:33:37 AM EDT
Now you done it, one of those English subjects is going to start posting about how great England is. Ignore the gun control, knife control, statist BS, because England is still a great country.

Then it will follow with various attacks on the US.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:34:09 AM EDT
My question is - What was she doing in public with no good reason to be there?  Subjects shall not be allowed to leave their government provided housing without good reason, which of course is appoved by government authorization papers.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:38:51 AM EDT
I wonder if it had a black grip.  BAN ASSAULT KITCHEN KNIVES!  Nobody needs a knife with a plastic black handle, or even worse, SERRATIONS!  Pretty soon the only knife you'll be able to have there without a permit (what the hell kind of permit is it?  A chef permit?) will be those dinky 1 1/2 inch pumpkin carving knives that can barely cut that.

Knife block of the future.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:38:52 AM EDT
The devolvement of that once proud nation with Anglo-Saxon roots into the current pussified, "Oh I'm sorry," pants-pissing, Big Brother nation is sad.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:39:38 AM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wasn't paying attention to that.

I'd like to party with her.  Uh wait, maybe I wouldn't.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:39:51 AM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In before 'Me and me wife got nabbed by the bobbies and it looks like we're going to be busy for the next 5 to 10.'

Nah… been stopped at airport checks a few times when I had to go airside and all the Police did was look over the knife and give it back…

A folding knife with a non locking blade of 3" or less is  legal to carry on you in public. My blade locks but I can't be arsed with the stupid law.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:40:09 AM EDT

Quoted:
I wonder if it had a black grip.  BAN ASSAULT KITCHEN KNIVES!  Nobody needs a knife with a plastic black handle, or even worse, SERRATIONS!  Pretty soon the only knife you'll be able to have there without a permit (what the hell kind of permit is it?  A chef permit?) will be those dinky 1 1/2 inch pumpkin carving knives that can barely cut that.

images.goemerchant.net/StoreData/p/premierstarcompany/Images/P10_HPM0003_2.jpg

TOY knives??!?!!

Those are even more dangerous than the real thing.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:42:35 AM EDT
So have you Brits began sharpening the sides of your forks yet?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:43:26 AM EDT
Combat spork!

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:47:34 AM EDT
Spyderco even make a knife to get around UK laws… good guys Spyderco.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:49:34 AM EDT
WOW, that's pretty much all I can express right now but it doesn't suprise me. It said they didn't know if she had a license, a license to what, carry a knife? Most of the people I know carry a locking knife on a regular basis and believe it or not they use them at work to, not to cut people.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:51:01 AM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

images.goemerchant.net/StoreData/p/premierstarcompany/Images/P10_HPM0003_2.jpg

TOY knives??!?!!

Those are even more dangerous than the real thing.

No kidding! They teach kids that knives are OK to have. They get them involved in the horrible knife culture at an early age!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:53:36 AM EDT

Quoted:

www.hellzteeth.com/reviews/Spyderco_penknife/penknife6.JPG

www.hellzteeth.com/reviews/Spyderco_penknife/penknife7.JPG

Whew! It's a good thing that knife isn't another 0.1" longer or you might be able to hurt someone with that!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:55:50 AM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.hellzteeth.com/reviews/Spyderco_penknife/penknife6.JPG

www.hellzteeth.com/reviews/Spyderco_penknife/penknife7.JPG

Whew! It's a good thing that knife isn't another 0.1" longer or you might be able to hurt someone with that!

Personally, I carry a Ka-Bar…
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:59:14 AM EDT
Didn't you say that knife is locking which makes it against the law to carry?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:06:43 AM EDT

Quoted:
Now you done it, one of those English subjects is going to start posting about how great England is. Ignore the gun control, knife control, statist BS, because England is still a great country.

Donkey...

England is not the UK. I'm proud of my Country just as you are of yours I'd like to think. Even if we both have laws and lawmakers that suck.

I think you'll find most if not all UK posters on this site are gun owners.

We would not lower ourselves to make attacks about your Country. We only take the piss out of the French realy and sometimes the Welsh

Quit bitchin or show me some evidence of us UK posters doing as you accuse.

What's with the "subject" tag...? sounds a little childish.

Cheers
Taffy

Proud to be Welsh, British and a shooter.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:08:30 AM EDT

Quoted:

Technically yes, but it's been inspected by a PoPo at an airport check and he was cool with it…
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:34:02 AM EDT

Quoted:
"Great" Britain's nanny state at work again.

How a nation with such a long and proud history has come to this I just cannot understand.

Well it's simple: Altogether too many subjects of the UK have decided, starting around the end of WWII, that it was possible to use government and regulations to put everyone into a state of nirvana and that heaven on Earth really is attainable by human/material means.

The same thing is happening here and unless the process is halted and reversed someone in another part of the world will be saying something similar about us. We already say things like that about parts of our own country.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:10:30 PM EDT

Quoted:

with a knife too!! that's talented.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:16:52 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't mess with Mrs. Vito, I have a good feeling she knows how to use them.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:32:18 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Technically yes, but it's been inspected by a PoPo at an airport check and he was cool with it…

Until you run into another cop with a hard on for the infamous "knifemen," and who isn't going to be so charitable and decides since "technically illegal" is, in fact, illegal; he's going to run you in and charge you..

And I'm calling CoC violation; "advocating illegal activities".

FWIW; I recommend you keep a bratwurst in your back pocket at all times.

Just in case.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:37:19 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Donkey...

England is not the UK. I'm proud of my Country just as you are of yours I'd like to think. Even if we both have laws and lawmakers that suck.

I think you'll find most if not all UK posters on this site are gun owners.

We would not lower ourselves to make attacks about your Country. We only take the piss out of the French realy and sometimes the Welsh

Quit bitchin or show me some evidence of us UK posters doing as you accuse.

What's with the "subject" tag...? sounds a little childish.

Cheers
Taffy

Proud to be Welsh, British and a shooter.

That's a misunderstanding; we're not making attacks on your country only your stupid laws.

We do the same when talking about stupid laws, and threats to individual freedom in our own country but when we do, none of us steps in to defend them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top