Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/16/2003 9:12:39 PM EDT
[url]http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/news/051603_nw_newark_accident.html[/url] Man Dies In Bizarre Newark Industrial Accident May 16 (AP) — A man was killed in a bizarre industrial accident in Newark last night when his clothes became tangled in machinery attached to a tanker truck. Fire Battalion Chief Don Wilson says the man was transferring propane from a truck to a storage tank at the Amerigas Distribution Center when he got caught in a spinning device used to move the liquid fuel. Wilson says the man was wound into the machine, which was spinning at about 650 revolutions a minute. It was some time before he was discovered by a security guard. The victim's name has not yet been released.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:17:29 PM EDT
Bet that left a mark. [:O]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:18:10 PM EDT
I'm having a hard time picturing this. Any propane guys here who might explain what this "spinning device" might be? cynic
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:20:54 PM EDT
[shock] Poor guy.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:22:58 PM EDT
I think it's a form of rotary pump. Some pumps that pump volatiles like propane use a sealed rotor in the pump plumbing which is driven externally by spinning magnets. It's a leakproof system and there is no danger of sparking. I don't know if this is the type of system in question, but I speculate that it could be. CJ
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:34:58 PM EDT
I dont consider that 'bizarre'. Tragic yes, but not too bizarre. I would be willing to bet that clothing/people getting caught in spinning machinery is the highest cause of industrial 'on the job' deaths/serious injuries. It usually results in some pretty horrific injuries, such as arms/legs/heads being forcably removed by force, not by severing. Or being twisted up like a pretzel.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:48:00 PM EDT
Ever see the video of the guy [url=http://www.punchbaby.com/media/gitfakt/clips/sick/suckplan.avi]getting sucked into the jet intake of an A-6?[/url]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:58:01 PM EDT
The only thing that saved that guy was the fact that his flashlight and craniel destroyed the engine (FOD'ed the engine). He was a lucky SOB.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:01:06 PM EDT
someone called for a propane man? well here i am...........DUUUUM DUUUUUUM DUUUUUUM DA DUUUUM sounds to me like the guy was unloading a transport (trucks you see on the road, about 10,000 gallon tankers) into a storage tank the tractor as a simple PTO that he hooks up to the underbelly pump on the trailer, to turn it on you have to be inside the cab of the truck, and the PTO is center mass so you'd have to almost try to get that close to the shaft, probably screwing with a leaky valve or something
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 12:04:29 AM EDT
I heard about a guy that got caught in a paper compactor. The compactor got jammed up so he got into it to unjam it. Well, he didn't turn it off and the ram pushed his legs into the can. After the ram retracted, it puched his torso into the can too. He was chopped in half very slowly.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 7:49:40 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:18:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By LoginName: Ever see the video of the guy [url=http://www.punchbaby.com/media/gitfakt/clips/sick/suckplan.avi]getting sucked into the jet intake of an A-6?[/url]
View Quote
He made it out with hardly a scratch. Can't say the same for the propane guy. Jay
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 9:03:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/17/2003 9:07:47 AM EDT by Andreuha]
He made it out with hardly a scratch.
View Quote
The only thing that saved that guy was the fact that his flashlight and craniel destroyed the engine (FOD'ed the engine). He was a lucky SOB
View Quote
huh? then whats with the huge fireball? A flashlight can do that?
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 2:56:59 PM EDT
A small nut or bolt can instantly trash a turbine. Dropping something as big as a flashlight or cranial into one is more like a low yield nuke. Most likely separated a few low pressure blades which then in turn went back and took out a few high pressure ones and the combustion chambers as well. Basically the same effect as a bomb going off in an open ended pipe.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 3:28:34 PM EDT
i saw a TV story about a british fellow that got his pants caught up in a cement mixer. ended up pulling his pecker into the machinery and mashing it up pretty bad. atleast he lived though.....
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 5:28:47 PM EDT
I worked in a glass factory for three days when I was 16,a guy working in the "hot end" where the glass goes through these rollers to flatten it out had real long hair and he didn't tie it back,a guy openned a door and the air blew this guys hair between the two massive hot rollers,he was pulled part way in and the rollers pulled part of his scalp out and almost crushed his head,i saw him when they wheeled his past us all on the way out to the ambulance ,you could see about 6 inches of his skull and he was screaming,real loud!
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 1:43:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Kooter: i saw a TV story about a british fellow that got his pants caught up in a cement mixer. ended up pulling his pecker into the machinery and mashing it up pretty bad. atleast he lived though.....
View Quote
If you can call that living.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 1:56:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/18/2003 1:58:28 AM EDT by coltcarbine]
UGH! What a way to go...
View Quote
I agree, not good. I've worked [red][url=http://www.logan-aluminum.com/]here[/url][/red] for 10 years, have seen some pretty bad industrial accidents in that time. A few months ago, there was a loose clothing and driveshaft accident. The guy involved just got his shirt ripped off, lucky as hell IMO. For those of us here at [b]AFRCOM[/b] that do work in an industrial environment, (those that do know what this means) use proper [red][size=3]LOCK OUT / TAG OUT PROCEDURES[/red][size=3] before performing ANY manintenance work! It may save your life! CC
Top Top