Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 11:33:16 AM EDT
Treating the players equally is one thing, but his firearm related comments are ignorant at best.
This is the second article in two days on this incident, I was...hoping...the writer was just ignorant with this issue previously.

Assault rifle incident evokes questions about disciplinary action

By ANDREW ABRAMSON
Alligator Columnist

At 9 p.m., Dee Webb, Andre Caldwell, Reggie Lewis and Kenneth Tookes celebrate a season of 10 victories and nearly zero police reports.

Proud parents smile and rejoice with Urban Meyer at the team banquet - the already legendary disciplinarian had done the unthinkable.

Team barbeques and sing-a-longs replaced late-night brawls, while mug shots were confined to the media guide.

Just hours after the banquet, police see an AK-47 and other serious weaponry through Webb's sliding glass door, and Tookes, much like Dick Cheney, learns a valuable lesson in gun safety. Do you know where your football team is?

If you haven't heard this stunning saga of football players and assault weapons, here's the quick version: A shot was fired into an occupied apartment at The Cambridge apartment complex Feb. 11. Gainesville police Sgt. Keith Kameg said residents saw Webb, Caldwell and Lewis roaming around the premises carrying a gun case. After police officers saw Webb's stash of goodies in plain sight, they entered the apartment.

Eventually, Caldwell's SUV pulls up and a drunken Webb stumbles into the apartment, demanding to be handcuffed and hauled away to jail.

But sadly for Webb, police discover the guns are registered to the former UF player. The police then inform Webb he won't be the martyr for the overrated cornerbacks preparing for urban warfare cause.

See folks, the Fun-N-Gun didn't leave with the Ol' Ball Coach.

As for Tookes, it appears he won't escape the legal system. He will likely be charged with inadvertently firing the gun, an unfortunate accident, said his uncle Lawrence Tookes.

Now parents, coaches and the public ask themselves: What went wrong here, and why do football players have AK-47s in their apartments?

Granted, our Founding Fathers made sure Webb had a constitutional right to possess those weapons - because we all know the British Army is in hot pursuit of Webb and his slippery hands.

But is anyone else disturbed that Webb apparently walks around an apartment building full of college students reportedly drunk and carrying assault weapons?

It really makes you scratch your head and wonder what else these athletes do with their free time - I hear bomb-making really helps fill the time between the bowl season and spring practice.

Perhaps, we'll find out more details when the police finally release its report and Meyer makes a statement. It's not like football players are the only students with guns, and an AK-47 sure makes you look like one bad mother, if that's your prerogative. But why would kids with NFL aspirations and public lives even think about playing with guns, and why were the guns loaded?

"Even though they're living off campus, they're at the University of Florida on scholarship, and they're football players purchasing a gun of that magnitude," said the Rev. Herbert McGraw, stepfather of UF receiver Dallas Baker. "That's just a no-no."

While UF coaches should consider this a serious dilemma - much more disturbing than your typical Channing Crowder fight - I hope Meyer doesn't revoke Tookes' scholarship. You'd hate for a kid to lose his chance at a college degree just a year before graduating, and there's no reason to doubt Lawrence Tookes when he described his nephew as a good kid with no prior record.

But someone needs to be punished, and Webb already announced his intentions of entering the NFL Draft.

It's no secret how Meyer feels about behavioral issues, so it seems logical that Tookes will serve as the scapegoat - his seven receptions for 54 yards last season will hardly be missed.

But this problem far exceeds one accidental pull of the trigger. If it comes to light that Caldwell, Lewis or any other football player acted carelessly with weapons, he should be penalized as well.

No player with Caldwell's prestige has been tied to a crime in the Meyer era, so it will be interesting to see if and how the coach disciplines his star receiver.

I'm not ready to raise the national security level to blue and eavesdrop on the Gators' phone conversations, but how can you not feel disturbed about a tale complete with football players, assault weapons and crowded apartments?

www.alligator.org/pt2/060220andrew.php
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:38:49 AM EDT
[#1]

and why do football players have AK-47s in their apartments?

Because they f'n want them?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Are they over 18? Do they live off campus?

If so, why is it any of your fuckin' business what anyone owns.

Fuckin' liberal fruit loop POS.....
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Are they over 18? Do they live off campus?

If so, why is it any of your fuckin' business what anyone owns.

Fuckin' liberal fruit loop POS.....

+1
When will people see, it isn't conservatives who go around sticking thier noses in everyone elses private lives?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#4]

"Even though they're living off campus, they're at the University of Florida on scholarship, and they're football players purchasing a gun of that magnitude," said the Rev. Herbert McGraw, stepfather of UF receiver Dallas Baker. "That's just a no-no."

Who the fuck made you King of the World?  

Now buy a .22 and shoot in an appartment and we can overlook it, but an AK

OH NOES!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#5]
The author also doesnt feel that we "need" SUCH POWERFUL firearms...the founding fathers couldnt have dreamt of their power.....just like he shouldnt have the luxury of using a computer to spew his anti gun crap....

Anyways, here is the original article:

Uncle says receiver admits to assault rifle accident

By ANDREW ABRAMSON
Alligator Staff Writer

After admiting to inadvertently firing a gun into an occupied apartment, Gators wide receiver Kenneth Tookes met with UF coaches on Thursday to discuss his future with the team, his uncle Lawrence Tookes said.

UF coach Urban Meyer reserved comment until the Gainesville Police Department completes its investigation. Tookes hasn't been charged in the incident.

"He's a great kid, and it was an accident," Lawrence Tookes said.
Tookes and his father, Kenneth Tookes Sr., met with Meyer on Thursday, but they were unavailable for comment.

GPD Sgt. Keith Kameg said the shot was fired Saturday night into an apartment in The Cambridge complex that belonged to three women, two of whom were home at the time. None were injured.

Kameg said the police were not contacted immediately, but later that night residents saw a group of men leaving the scene carrying what they thought was a gun case. The men were identified as former UF cornerback Dee Webb, who lives in a neighboring apartment in the complex, and current players Andre Caldwell and Reggie Lewis.

Officers arrived at Webb's apartment and, looking through a sliding glass door, saw AK-47 and AR-15 assault rifles as well as a .38 caliber shell casing inside, Kameg said.

The guns were registered to Webb, but police still entered the apartment to secure the weapons.
Police hear about incident at one apt....go to another and enter without a warrant....doesn't smell kosher to me...

At the apartment, police called Webb and told him to return, Kameg said. Webb arrived back at the apartment in Caldwell's sport utility vehicle, in which police found a .38-caliber revolver and a 12-gauge shotgun. Both guns were stored legally and registered to Webb, so no charges were filed.

Kameg said an intoxicated Webb, who in January opted to forgo his senior season at UF to enter the NFL draft, told officers "he had a million-dollar contract waiting for him in the NFL, and his lawyers would take care of the problem.'' Webb then asked officers to handcuff him and take him to jail.

Kameg said the police had no reason to arrest Webb. Tookes' fate, however, remains unclear. The incident took place just hours after a team banquet where players were praised for their exemplary off-field conduct during the last year.

"We were very pleased what Coach Meyer had done with these kids," said the Rev. Herbert McGraw, stepfather of UF receiver Dallas Baker.

"Off-campus and even on-campus incidents were cut down to almost zero, and then something like this happened. It could have been a lot worse. We just thank god that the bullets did not hit anyone."

Lawrence Tookes said the shooting was an accident and Tookes shouldn't lose his scholarship and a chance to graduate from college because of it.
"That's not his character," Lawrence Tookes said. "He's never been in trouble in his life. If you're going to penalize someone for an accident, then why do you even have the word accident?"

Shocked that a college student would possess assault rifles, McGraw said that the incident should serve as a warning to the rest of the Gators.

"There are probably other kids and football players that have guns in their apartments. I'm pretty sure the coaches never thought this would have happened. I'm pretty sure this is an area they've lectured kids on. I'm pretty sure that this is a warning, a wake-up call for the rest of the guys."

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:07:55 PM EDT
[#6]

The guns were registered to Webb, but police still entered the apartment to secure the weapons.

At the apartment, police called Webb and told him to return, Kameg said. Webb arrived back at the apartment in Caldwell's sport utility vehicle, in which police found a .38-caliber revolver and a 12-gauge shotgun. Both guns were stored legally and registered to Webb, so no charges were filed.

What registration?  

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:15:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Your guess is as good as mine.....

But is anyone else disturbed that Webb apparently walks around an apartment building full of college students reportedly drunk and carrying assault weapons?

The police found a revolver and shotgun on the person, neither of which would classify under the old definition of an assault weapon I believe....

I think it is scarier they were driving a 5000lb SUV around drunk....no tool/vehicle and alcohol mixes.  More sensationalist crap...
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I think it is scarier they were driving a 5000lb SUV around drunk....no tool/vehicle and alcohol mixes.  More sensationalist crap...

Said a man by the name of Caldwell was driving, made no comment that he appeared intoxicated.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#9]
The guns were registered to Webb, but police still entered the apartment to secure the weapons.Police hear about incident at one apt....go to another and enter without a warrant....doesn't smell kosher to me...

Welcome to Gville,Fl

They dont need no stinking warrants.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:52:01 PM EDT
[#10]
tagged for future ref.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:12:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

What registration?  

That caught my eye as well.  What's going on here?  By the way - as you would expect, the writers for the Alligator haven't exactly been known to demonstrate the highest levels of journalistic skill or integrity.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:07:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Keep in mind that GPD has not released an official statement about the incident so the information in the Alli-gay-turd is nothing more than sensationalism at best. Furthermore, the writer is clearly unstructured in respect to how he acquaints his argument against the football players in relationship with the events that allegedly took place. The writer only provides impulsive personal conclusions and attacks that the writer seems to be compelled to include about other non-related stories and opinions as much as possible throughout the article as he attempts to account for the events before, during and after the alleged incident. If the writer would have accounted for the events objectively before making his entire conclusion that was broken up in pieces, it would have made his argument at least seem like a real journalist wrote it instead of sounding like a high school pot head tripping on LSD.

As far as the police entering into the apartment without a warrant, if they have information that leads them to reasonable suspect that the apartment in question is indeed the one, they can enter. In this case, they were able to identify that the suspected apartment of the alleged suspects, did contain a few firearms within their view from the outside. That was enough information for them to have in order to legally enter without a warrant. Police can also enter into any dwelling without a warrant if they are in the process of pursuing of a suspect in relationship with a crime, and have information that the suspect has entered the dwelling.

Edit to add...

It is irresponsible for anyone to be firing a gun in any area that could inadvertently cause harm to someone else. Even if it was an accidental discharge, it just goes to show you that it isn’t a good idea to be intoxicated while handling something that is capable of causing death. The majority of people don’t agree to allowing people to operate vehicles in that condition, so why would we accept it with anything else other than maybe a fishing pole?

It’s people like those described in that ridiculous article that are used to stereo type responsible gun owners as drunken trigger happy homicidal want a be commandos. Which isn’t a fair conclusion to make, but nonetheless it is the tactic that the anti-gun establishment has chosen to use in order to strike fear and hatred in the hearts and minds of the misinformed. It is the only means to an end that has worked and continues to work for them. Mainly because it is almost impossible to document every time a firearm is used lawfully and correctly. Moreover, even if it was possible to document it, no one would want to run every story of it, since it does not invoke a sense of drama and curiosity, and would take up too much time for it to be addressed in the media every time it did happen. Instead, we get the hype and publicity of a very small minority of crimes or irresponsible decision acted out attached to gun use and ownership that doesn’t accurately reflect that the great majority of the time gun owners are trustworthy and responsible.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:58:52 AM EDT
[#13]
That guy can't write for shit.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:08:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

+1,000,000 - I was looking for the Pancake Bunny pic but couldn't find it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:14:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Exactly what I was about to type before I saw your post. Trying to read that made me want to donkey-punch his english teachers.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:41:21 AM EDT
[#16]
At work reading that article.

Really confused by the first three sentences.

Re-read the first 3 sentences.

Still can't figure out who these people are or what they have to do with Dick Cheney.  Whose football team?  What the hell are you talking about?  

This guy is a columnist? He'll be fetching coffe for a long time when he gets out of college.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:46:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly what I was about to type before I saw your post. Trying to read that made me want to donkey-punch his english teachers.

As a student at the University of Florida, I am blessed enough to have the chance to read this worthless sack of shit known as the Alligator every day. These morons cant ever get a story right, spell correctly, or even report worthwhile news.  It saddens me that this is what is supposed to represent this town and the students of UF.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:28:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

As a student at the University of Florida, I am blessed enough to have the chance to read this worthless sack of shit known as the Alligator every day. These morons cant ever get a story right, spell correctly, or even report worthwhile news.  It saddens me that this is what is supposed to represent this town and the students of UF.

I thought it was kind of funny that when I went to UF's website they have a big "hero" piece on one of UF's journalism profs. Wonder if Andy Abramson is indicative of the quality of journalism education there.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:22:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Well i am going to UF in the fall, just wondering if it is populated my liberals or is it just the school media. Will I be able to survive?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Well i am going to UF in the fall, just wondering if it is populated my liberals or is it just the school media. Will I be able to survive?

you can survive here, but you might need to read up here  click
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:33:33 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

It didn't seem as bad to me as what I hear about other schools.  Of course when you had to deal with Art or Journalism students or professors you'd just have to expect they would be coming from a whacko liberal mindset.  I graduated from the Accounting School back in 2000 and people there were generally conservative.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top