Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/14/2006 9:16:29 AM EDT
Interesting that the story never points out the obvious fact that criminals don't keep up with the current gun laws to make sure they're in compliance. Something tells me that the pass/reject outcome of the vote on HB1001 won't impact where homey keeps his piece...

Gun bills spell danger
Legislators push half-cocked efforts in name of safety and open door to foolish stand-your-ground mentality

Published on: 02/14/06
Lawmakers are pushing a slew of gun bills this session with the goal of making it easier to own, carry and use a gun in Georgia, even in the Capitol itself. Apparently, these legislators come from hellish corners of the state where it's dangerous to drive to the Piggly Wiggly without a pistol propped on your lap.
If you believe the outlandish rhetoric at the Legislature, high school graduates in the state ought to be issued Glocks at graduation because they won't be safe making their way in the world unless they're armed, able to bring their guns to work and allowed to fire at the first provocation.
Most Georgians don't live in the violence-soaked world described by the legislators. And easier access to guns doesn't protect people.
Georgia has the most lenient gun laws in the country, and suffers higher rates of gun deaths as a result. In Atlanta, for example, 73 of the 112 murders and 1,717 of the 3,116 robberies last year involved a firearm, according to the FBI Uniform Crime Reports.
HB 1001 permits the transport of "an unloaded or loaded firearm . . . in any location in the motor vehicle." The law now says guns must be "fully exposed to view or in the glove compartment, console." The bill's authors contend that owners ought to be able to tuck their guns under or between the seats of their cars, if they so choose.
The bill should be called the "Georgia police endangerment" bill because a traffic officer who pulls over a motorist and gets in an argument won't realize that the person is casually dropping his hand between the seats to grab a gun.
Next on the loony list is HB 998, "Georgia's Self-Defense Act." This intrusion on private property rights gives employees the right to bring their guns to work and leave them in their cars in company-owned parking lots. Many private employers oppose the bill, saying they must be able to set the rules for their own parking lots to protect their workplaces.
Then, there's the "stand your ground" bill, SB 396, which entitles people to shoot anyone they perceive as a threat, even when they could have chosen to call law enforcement or simply retreat.
"As a gun owner, I don't think we should be passing laws that encourage use of guns to settle disputes," says state Rep. Tom Bordeaux (D-Savannah). "We are telling people to stand and fight, to prove their manhood by gunning it out. That's not what I'm teaching my kids, so I don't know why we would want to put that message into law."
Watching the introduction of one extreme gun bill after the other in the General Assembly, Bordeaux says: "This is boys gone wild down here."
If HB 1044 passes, they won't just be wild down at the Legislature; they'll be armed. The bill proposes to add part-time judges and legislators, both past and present, to the list of Georgians permitted "to carry pistols in publicly owned or operated buildings."
Given the rancor at the Legislature, tour groups at the Capitol might consider flak jackets in the future.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:23:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Good_Citizen:
"As a gun owner, I don't think we should be passing laws that encourage use of guns to settle disputes," says state Rep. Tom Bordeaux (D-Savannah). "We are telling people to stand and fight, to prove their manhood by gunning it out. That's not what I'm teaching my kids, so I don't know why we would want to put that message into law."

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:25:51 AM EDT
There is Atlanta, and then there is the state of Georgia.

They are not the same.

GR
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:28:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By greenranger:

They are not the same.

GR

That pretty much sums it up.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:29:10 AM EDT
Similar laws were recently passed here in Florida. I gotta tell the streets are flowing with blood. Chuck Norris is running around naked randomly killing whoever the hell he wants and splashing in the blood puddles. And its all legal. I shot the clerk at the Circle K last night for not giving me the correct change, I just yelled 'HE'S COMIN' RIGHT FOR US!!!!' before pulling the trigger as per the stated law.

I never thoght GA would be a place were liberal anti-gun sheep mentality was permitted. It's only one article tho, perhaps the masses haven't roared their disapproval of such slander yet.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:33:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:

Originally Posted By greenranger:

They are not the same.

GR

That pretty much sums it up.

No doubt. Atlanta is an island.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:40:49 AM EDT
I still remember , with fond recollection, those immortal words from my DI at boot camp....

KILL KILL KILL and then kill some more!!!

every so often when I am in line at the 7-11 I think back to that happy time in my life when things were simple---and clean cut--black and white--right and wrong--before politicians muddled a clear and God given right of self defense.

Some people --who are pure evil--deserve to die and it is my responsibility as a American to put the trash out to the curb.

Need to go freshen my drink--back in five
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:48:56 AM EDT
Was that published in the AJC? Who wrote it?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:58:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rnewberry:
Was that published in the AJC? Who wrote it?

From the AJC - Editorial so no author listed
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:00:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Lon_Moer:

Originally Posted By Good_Citizen:

Considering he is of French descent, and a dem, he is probably teaching his kids to bend over and take it in the ass....
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:01:57 AM EDT
"The Sky Is Falling!!!" - - so sayeth chicken little.

Reading an article like that is enough to make a person lose their lunch.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:11:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ShortMikeB:

I never thoght GA would be a place were liberal anti-gun sheep mentality was permitted. It's only one article tho, perhaps the masses haven't roared their disapproval of such slander yet.

We get the same crap out of Miami, look up Miami's anti-gun ex-NYPD police chief JOHN TIMONEY. He is buddies with the Brady Campaign. We also have State Senator Margolis down there, originally from the Northeastern US, who introduces a state AWB every year. Yankees bringing their liberal BS down here

I hope GA becomes similar to FL on self defense, I go to GA once or twice a week and carry so it would be nice to not have to consider the differences in the law so much when you cross the state line.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:23:14 AM EDT
Ahhh the Atlanta Urinal Constipation

Fucking idiots, plus a guy with a surrender-monkey last name.....

Probably a New Orleans style politician......................
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:46:13 AM EDT
Those are the collective beliefs of the AJC board. Their bldg. has probably received more bomb threats than any other place in GA. Even the sports section is for libtards only. Gotta go clean my .50 BMG now. Low life SOBs.
Top Top