[Last Edit: 11/19/2012 1:41:25 PM EST by 2A373]
Happened about 1 hour ago.

ETA 19 Nov
Hi res link

Hi res link

Safety paramount as F-22 investigation continues

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123326919

from 325th Fighter Wing Public Affairs

11/19/2012 - TYNDALL AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. (AFNS) –– The pilot of a F-22 Raptor, assigned to the 43rd Fighter Squadron, safely ejected as the jet crashed Nov. 15 around 3:30 p.m. on Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla., one-quarter mile east of the drone runway.

Despite initial media speculation, there are no indications that point to the life support system leading to this incident or playing any role in this crash. A thorough investigation is being conducted in accordance with standard Air Force and Department of Defense policy. The pilot was conducting a routine training mission when first responders were alerted of a problem via an in-flight emergency call and were on scene fighting the fire within two minutes of the incident.

"Our first responders reacted quickly and professionally due to the extensive training we conduct here at Tyndall," said Col. David Graff, 325th Fighter Wing commander. "In addition, the pilot received top-notch care from our medical group."

A safety team here began interviewing witnesses, maintainers and other individuals immediately after the incident.

"Right now, our number one priority is the safety of our Airmen and all involved as we secure the scene of the incident," Graff said.

The first step taken in the securing process was a sweep by explosive ordnance disposal Airmen for any parts of the aircraft that may be explosive.

Follow-on steps include addressing environmental and biological hazards. Most modern aircraft are made of composite fibers, which can create health concerns for people on the scene when the plane catches fire.

First responders at Tyndall AFB are well trained and equipped to respond to aircraft crashes and minimize their effects on surrounding areas, Graff said. Throughout the initial and continued responses all personnel have worn the appropriate protective gear, and they will continue to do so until the immediate site of the crash is deemed safe.

While safety is the primary concern, preserving the accident scene is a critical part of the investigation. All evidence will be photographed and tagged to preserve all evidence for the official safety investigation board members.

ETA

http://www.wmbb.com/story/20111433/breaking-news-f-22-fighter-crashes-at-tyndall-air-force-base

Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla. -
UPDATE 10 p.m. Thursday:

Officials at Tyndall Air Force Base are investigating the cause of an F-22 fighter jet crash. Thursday afternoon, the single seat stealth fighter plunged to the ground near highway 98. The pilot ejected right before impact.

As hours past, the hazy details became a little bit clearer for the 325th Fighter Wing Commander, who just the day before, took command of this squadron.

"We were able to secure the area and that's what we're currently going to do and we're going to keep it secure for the next while." Col. David Graff says.

According to Graff, the pilot, who has not been identified ejected safely. An eyewitness tells News 13 they observed the plane nose dive for 8 to 10 seconds, while another captured a photo, seconds after impact. This accident comes on the heals of several investigations into the safety of the $150 million aircraft...
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 12:48:50 PM EST
I'm happy he made it out.

And WOW that's gonna be expensive.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 12:49:30 PM EST
Cue calls to ground fleet again.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 12:50:37 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 12:50:43 PM EST
So now...185?
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 12:50:44 PM EST
How many are left now?
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 12:51:03 PM EST
$150,000,000 lawn dart!
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 12:51:23 PM EST
Was that what the sirens were all about?
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 12:52:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/15/2012 12:53:20 PM EST by MILLERLGT82]
glad he is ok
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 12:55:22 PM EST
They say he caused 35 million in damage, which sounds like the plane may be salvageable after extensive repairs.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 12:57:00 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/15/2012 12:59:29 PM EST by majorhavoc]
BREAKING NEWS: F-22 Fighter Crashes at Tyndall Air Force Base

UPDATE: An F-22 incident occurred at 3:30 p.m. on Tyndall Air Force Base today one quarter mile east of the drone runway.

Highway 98 has been closed from Dupont Bridge to the "Welcome to Mexico Beach" sign as a safety precaution.

The pilot ejected from the aircraft safely. He is currently under supervision of the 325th Medical Group. First responders are on scene.

Additional details will be provided as soon as they become available.

––-

Information provided by the 325th Fighter Wing Public Affairs Office

===

News 13 has confirmed an F-22 fighter jet has crashed on Highway 98 on Tyndall AFB

Sources at Tyndall say the pilot has ejected safely. Debris is on the runway at Tyndall at this time.

The Bay County Sheriff's Office is assisting at this time. Bay County Control says the County's hazardous materials team has been asked to stand by at this time.

The DuPont Bridge has been closed and traffic is currently being averted.

News 13 has learned that the pilot is safe and with EMS. Crash happened on the drone runway at Tyndall Air Force Base.

News 13 has a reporter on scene. We will bring you updates as soon as they are available.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 12:58:31 PM EST
The taxpayers sure got sold a lemon with the F-22. I can remember the prototypes flying in the early 90's, 20 years later they still can't get the oxygen system to work, they can't go as fast as designed, the price is absurdly high, and no missile with a longer range than the AMRAAM.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 12:59:48 PM EST
Originally Posted By TacticalTaco:
So now...185?

+1

Now we'll use them even less.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 12:59:49 PM EST
Hey, since he made it out alive, maybe he can go tell them how to unfuck the plane!

Trying to think positive here...
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 1:05:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By swede1986:
How many are left now?

'Bout 5. Don't get antsy Sweden, we've still got our eye on you and are still ready for your nefarious schemes!
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 1:06:33 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 1:06:42 PM EST
With training accidents and potential losses in operational squadron use, the losses through attrition on a no longer in production aircraft are gonna suck with no way to build new ones. Hope they have kept some of the cherry QF drone series in a secret location as a back-up for when the F-22 fleet shrinks (QF-4's and QF-106's )
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 1:07:10 PM EST

Originally Posted By Wobblin-Goblin:
Originally Posted By TacticalTaco:
So now...185?

+1

Now we'll use them even less.

we have 184 left. 2 others crashed killing the pilots.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 1:07:30 PM EST
Originally Posted By Happy_Camper:
The taxpayers sure got sold a lemon with the F-22. I can remember the prototypes flying in the early 90's, 20 years later they still can't get the oxygen system to work, they can't go as fast as designed, the price is absurdly high, and no missile with a longer range than the AMRAAM.

Well considering the range of a AIM-120D is 120nm at supercruise that doesn't sound like a big issue to me. What missile with longer range that's in our currenty stockpile is it unable to use?
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 1:10:21 PM EST
We could have bought a shit ton of F-16's and F-15's for what this nightmare is going to and already has cost us.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 1:11:13 PM EST

So you fly/work on um hu? Sweet.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 1:12:38 PM EST
No pictures yet....

Panama City News
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 1:16:15 PM EST
Originally Posted By Sniper_B:

Well considering the range of a AIM-120D is 120nm at supercruise that doesn't sound like a big issue to me. What missile with longer range that's in our currenty stockpile is it unable to use?

Wiki quotes the ranges at

Operational
range• AIM-120A/B 55–75 km (30–40 nm)[1][2]
• AIM-120C-5 >105 km (>57 nm)[3]
• AIM-120D (C-8) >180 km (>97 nm)[4]
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 1:19:58 PM EST

Just after the fly-off loss they parked the YF-23 prototype at the end of Hawthorne Field runway. Right next to a couple busy streets. You could go stand under the wings and touch it. Hell I kinda doubt they'd have cared much if you climbed on it. They were pissed.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 1:28:39 PM EST
Originally Posted By GeorgiaBII:

Wiki quotes the ranges at

Operational
range• AIM-120A/B 55–75 km (30–40 nm)[1][2]
• AIM-120C-5 >105 km (>57 nm)[3]
• AIM-120D (C-8) >180 km (>97 nm)[4]

And wiki means shit. Supercruise everything goes further. Like a gbu-39 going over 40nm with nothing but winglets

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 1:29:09 PM EST
We could have bought a shit ton of F-16's and F-15's for what this nightmare is going to and already has cost us.

And probably even more Sopwith Camels, too, and they would be equally useful in the 2020 battlespace. What's your point?
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 1:31:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By ScottS:

And probably even more Sopwith Camels, too, and they would be equally useful in the 2020 battlespace. What's your point?

That's kind of taking things a bit far, isn't it? F15s and F16s will still be viable in 2020.

At least they better be.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 1:36:03 PM EST
So... How many Tyndall/Panama City members we got on this site?
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 1:39:20 PM EST

And wiki means shit. Supercruise everything goes further. Like a gbu-39 going over 40nm with nothing but winglets

So..... what do you add to a missile to get "supercruise"?
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 1:43:06 PM EST

The plane. Supercruising
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 1:44:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By GTwannabe:
$150,000,000 lawn dart!

Yep.

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 1:54:40 PM EST

Well propeller driven aircraft are basically useless nowadays right?

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 1:55:19 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 1:56:17 PM EST

The plane is already cruising at supersonic speeds. So the missile starts off with that much more energy plus it doesn't have to expend energy to transition from subsonic to supersonic (which itself takes an extra large amount of energy to break that barrier).
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 1:56:40 PM EST
Originally Posted By dewme5:

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 1:57:28 PM EST
Originally Posted By Top_Secret:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/49/Super_Tucano_at_URUBRA_I_exercise.jpg

For establishing air superiority or air dominance? Yeah, pretty much.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:00:30 PM EST
Originally Posted By bcsoeod:

I started this thread while stuck on the Dupont bridge.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:07:27 PM EST

Originally Posted By crownvic96:

The plane. Supercruising

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:07:39 PM EST

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/49/Super_Tucano_at_URUBRA_I_exercise.jpg

Yes, it is.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:13:42 PM EST
Originally Posted By retgarr:

The plane is already cruising at supersonic speeds. So the missile starts off with that much more energy plus it doesn't have to expend energy to transition from subsonic to supersonic (which itself takes an extra large amount of energy to break that barrier).

Oh man.

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:19:00 PM EST
Originally Posted By crownvic96:

The plane. Supercruising

mhmmmm and when the plane is below mach that helps how?
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:26:58 PM EST

Originally Posted By Peremalfait:

Oh man.

i think you need to wear that yourself, as he is correct
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:30:45 PM EST
Originally Posted By Peremalfait:

Just after the fly-off loss they parked the YF-23 prototype at the end of Hawthorne Field runway. Right next to a couple busy streets. You could go stand under the wings and touch it. Hell I kinda doubt they'd have cared much if you climbed on it. They were pissed.

It was a better plane :(

Oh well, plenty of -15s left

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:33:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/18/2012 5:28:08 AM EST by Katana16j]

I think we all know where this thread is going, so I made Sylvan a meme to save him some time.

Teasing Sylvan aside, I'm glad the Pilot is okay and I'm glad it looks like the airframe won't be a total loss.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:40:26 PM EST
Originally Posted By 2A373:

That sucks buddy, we sent a couple deputies to help with traffic when the call came out, don't know why AF closed hwy 98, guys are saying the crash site is well of the Road into the woods by the drone runway
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:43:36 PM EST
As much as I want the F-22 to be awesome and to work I think the b est bet for the USAF would be to get a shit ton more F-15E's with the Singapore avionics and engines (If they aren't already up to that standard) as well as a crap load of F-18F super hornets

Both, from what I've seen are very capable jets and out perform by a very wide margin anything else in the air to air and air to ground roles.

Stealth is nice and all, but from what I've read it isn't as important as some people first thought is was and with the increased costs in maintaining the coating it isn't worth it, not in today's wars, possible some time in the future, maybe 20 years from now, that will give the designers more time to perfect the F-22 and I'm certain the F-148F and F-15E's will be more then capable of holding the fort untill then, especially with greater numbers.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:45:30 PM EST

That sucks buddy, we sent a couple deputies to help with traffic when the call came out, don't know why AF closed hwy 98, guys are saying the crash site is well of the Road into the woods by the drone runway

IIRC there is a 2000' withdraw distance from a burning F-22 due to the toxic fumes.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:50:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/15/2012 2:52:02 PM EST by Mach]

If he was headed for landing at Tyndall and the jet crashed 1/4 mile east of the drone runway, there could easily be parts on hwy 98.

Only 4 things make a jet crash short of the intended runway with the pilot ejecting.

Out of gas
Both engines quit
Uncontrolled fire
Flight control problem

Google traffic still shows the road closed.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:50:56 PM EST
Originally Posted By Berettadeprived:
As much as I want the F-22 to be awesome and to work I think the b est bet for the USAF would be to get a shit ton more F-15E's with the Singapore avionics and engines (If they aren't already up to that standard) as well as a crap load of F-18F super hornets

Both, from what I've seen are very capable jets and out perform by a very wide margin anything else in the air to air and air to ground roles.

Stealth is nice and all, but from what I've read it isn't as important as some people first thought is was and with the increased costs in maintaining the coating it isn't worth it, not in today's wars, possible some time in the future, maybe 20 years from now, that will give the designers more time to perfect the F-22 and I'm certain the F-148F and F-15E's will be more then capable of holding the fort untill then, especially with greater numbers.

F-15's and F-18's are going to have a pretty rough time in any double-digit SAM environment, advanced avionics or not. And by "pretty rough time," i mean " die wholesale.". Air Dominance isn't just about other airplanes.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:54:18 PM EST
Why would they close the DuPont bridge? Nowhere near the crash site.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:56:17 PM EST
This article says hwy 98 is engulfed in flames.

I guess he still had some gas.

Link
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top