Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2010 7:43:52 PM EDT
Tylenol PM doesn't do a darn thing for me to help me sleep. Anyone know of anything better over the counter?

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Benadryl. Let the side effect work FOR you
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:49:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:50:30 PM EDT
[#3]
unisom just started that
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Tylenol PM doesn't do a darn thing for me to help me sleep. Anyone know of anything better over the counter?

Doesn't work for me either but Nyquil knocks me out.  Leaves me kind of groggy in the morning but a couple cups of coffee takes care of it

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#5]
roofies
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I use Unisom. It has the same ingredient as Tylenol PM but without the acetaminophen that can fuck up your liver. I have to take 2-3 to get the desired effect (normal dose is 1), and I take it an hour before I want to go to sleep. It definitely isn't a very natural drowsy feeling for me (More drunk like) but it works when I try to turn around from night shift.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:53:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I use Unisom. It has the same ingredient as Tylenol PM but without the acetaminophen that can fuck up your liver. I have to take 2-3 to get the desired effect (normal dose is 1), and I take it an hour before I want to go to sleep. It definitely isn't a very natural drowsy feeling for me (More drunk like) but it works when I try to turn around from night shift.

Depends on the Unisom.

While marketed under a single trademark, the active ingredient may be one of two drugs, depending on the type of preparation. Doxylamine succinate is sold in 25 mg dosages as tablets, and diphenhydramine hydrochloride is sold as tablets, and also in liquid/gelatin preparation in dosages of 50 mg.

Diphenhydramine is what's in Benadryl.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Bourbon and Sudafed More Bourbon.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Tylenol PM has what's in Benadryl.  Get the generic version of Unisom with doxylamine succinate in it and try it instead.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Benadryl. Let the side effect work FOR you

Benadryl is the same ingredient that Tylenol PM uses to make a person drowsy (diphenhydramine).

You could try Unisom. The ingredient is doxylamine, which is different than benadryl/tylenol PM..

I like to use Melatonin on those nights I can't get to sleep, but try to avoid using it long term as it is a hormone and I don't want to peturb my seratonin levels long term.

If Benadryl/Tylenol PM isn't working, talk to your doctor.

Adding booze can intensify the effect, but is dangerous and should be avoided.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:58:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Exercise.  You need a reason to fall asleep and tiring your body will give you that.  If you work out and stay in shape, you probably won't need a drug to help you sleep.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:01:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Melatonin.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

When NyQuil fails I read this:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=389

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:37:58 PM EDT
[#14]
My wife and use Nature's Made Simply Sleep.  That and a hot cup of decaf tea.  Nighty night.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top