Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2001 6:14:37 AM EDT
I rented two older movies this weekend.  Films I have always heard about but never actually seen.  Both films have two very different view points concerning personnal freedom and living in today's america.

The films were [b]"Red Dawn"[/b] made in 1984,
[img]http://home.att.net/~orrymain/pwsred2.jpg[/img]

and the classic [b]"Easy Rider"[/b] made in 1969.
[img]http://www.ezrider.co.uk/Easy_Rider/easy_rider_poster.JPG[/img]

Two totally different time periods of Americana, seperated by only a short 15 years.
I felt more for the characters in Red Dawn, but Easy Rider really sunk home and angered me.

Red Dawn, which is always highly refered to for SHTF scenarios, is less about true freedom and more of a patriotic "feel good" proganda film.

Easy Rider showed the true hypocritical thinking of supposted "freedom lovers", meaning some people believe in freedom as long as it followed the standardized set of rules.

I guess the most startling aspect was how someone like me, who at one time acted somewhat like the characters in Easy Rider, ever grew up to be a conservative.  Both films did however make me wonder how truely openminded I really am towards the true ideals of freedom.

Just my .02 cents.................

sgtar15
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 6:22:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Step 1 to true wisdom:  Understand your own limitations.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 6:25:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Complete opposite ends of the spectrum.

What was and what will be??

Both are classics. [:)]

Del
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 6:26:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I guess the most startling aspect was how someone like me, who at one time acted somewhat like the characters in Easy Rider, ever grew up to be a conservative.  Both films did however make me wonder how truely openminded I really am towards the true ideals of freedom.
sgtar15
View Quote

Winston Churchill said, "If you are not a liberal in your twenties, you have no heart. If you are not a conservative by your forties, you have no brain".
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 6:29:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeh Haw!!!!!!

That means I am four years ahead of the learning curve!!!!!!

sgtar15
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 6:32:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeh Haw!!!!!!

That means I am four years ahead of the learning curve!!!!!!

sgtar15
View Quote

Good for you! A Man Ahead of Your Time.

Teddy Roosevelt
Winston Churchill
Ronald Reagan

Who is gonna replace men like that in our future?
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 7:13:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Hillary ???[;)]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 7:46:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hillary ???[;)]
View Quote

AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
[rolleyes][rolleyes][puke][puke][puke][whacko]

I said "Men" not man wannabes...
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 7:49:24 AM EDT
[#8]
that Hitlery
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 8:10:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Winston Churchill said, "If you are not a liberal in your twenties, you have no heart. If you are not a conservative by your forties, you have no brain".
View Quote

That is a truly great and profound statement.  I always wondered how I became more moderate or conservative compared to the liberal mindset I had in the sixties and seventies, even when I served.

I saw 'Easy Rider' when it first came out.  I thought it was a great movie and was very stunned at the ending.  While the ending still sucks, I don't view it with such idealistic eyes now, but it is still a classic.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 8:58:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 9:18:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The films were [b]"Red Dawn"[/b] made in 1984,

I felt more for the characters in Red Dawn, but Easy Rider really sunk home and angered me.

Red Dawn, which is always highly refered to for SHTF scenarios, is less about true freedom and more of a patriotic "feel good" proganda film.
View Quote

Red Dawn is a bit outdated, but what the heck. I read somewhere that this movie was based on some actual CIA scenarios.  The movie's director John Milius, he currently sits on the NRA Board of Directors, is one of the few pro-gun advocates in Hollywierd.  In some of his movies, Milius used guns from his own personal collection.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 9:28:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I went to see 'Easy Rider' first weekend it was out.'Course, we were all stoned.

Looking back on the movie after all these years, it seems pretty pretentious for what it actually delivers. Basically a travelogue for the Hippies, to the Hippies, and by the Hippies.

The 'message' of the film can basically be distilled from a conversation at the campfire
where George Hanson (Jack Nicholson) was beaten to death by 'rednecks.'  I goes as follows:

[red]George:[/red] You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I can't understand what's gone wrong with it.

[blue]Billy:[/blue] Huh. Man, everybody got chicken, that's what happened, man. Hey, we can't even get into like, uh, second-rate hotel, I mean, a second-rate motel. You dig? They think we're gonna cut their throat or something, man. They're scared, man.

[red]George:[/red] Oh, they're not scared of you. They're scared of what you represent to 'em.

[blue]Billy:[/blue] Hey man. All we represent to them, man, is somebody needs a haircut.

[red]George:[/red] Oh no. What you represent to them is freedom.

[blue]Billy:[/blue] What the hell's wrong with freedom, man? That's what it's all about.

[red]George:[/red] Oh yeah, that's right, that's what it's all about, all right. But talkin' about it and bein' it - that's two different things. I mean, it's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace. 'Course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are. Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em.

[blue]Billy:[/blue] Mmmm, well, that don't make 'em runnin' scared.

[red]George:[/red] No, it makes 'em dangerous.
View Quote

Eric The(SoundLikeACogentArgumentToYou?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 9:40:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I always wondered how I became more moderate or conservative compared to the liberal mindset I had in the sixties and seventies, even when I served.
-----

I find it more amazing that so many Liberals, who supposedly believed in freedom in the sixties and seventies, are such fascists today.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top