Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/14/2005 8:12:48 PM EDT
And now I must decide what to do with them. One is a middle age male beagle. The other is some type of small black and tan female, look to be just about a year old.

They are sweet, friendly little dogs, but I already have two, one of which was a taken in stray. I live pretty far out in the country and people just dump their dogs out on me quite frequently.

So now here I am with the dilemna of what to do with them. I hate to see them taken away to the animal shelter where in all liklihood, they'll end up being put down after two weeks if nobody adopts them. The black and tan has some mild mange that would need to be treated before anyone would want it. And it appears the female is in heat (or at least the male with her seems to think so). But OTOH, I really don't want or need anymore dogs right now and I certainly can't take every stray that comes along, especially one that may be gonna have more puppies.

Damn, these types of decisions hurt. I feel sympathy for the poor dogs. They certainly can't help being born into a situation where nobody wants them.

Man, I'd love to punch the jackass who abandoned these dogs right in the mouth. It is this person who I have a problem with, not the poor little dogs. Yet now, because of this jackass, I'm going to have to make a decision I'm not going to like because they weren't decent enough to take care of their own responsibilities.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:14:25 PM EDT
Sounds like you just acquired 2 new FLOORMATS....

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:15:36 PM EDT
I grew up out in the boonies. I never learned how to deal with that. Kept some, turned in some.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:15:41 PM EDT
I feel for ya. I have a hard time saying no to strays too.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:16:44 PM EDT
I've had this problem before but after I contacted the local SPCA, they found the owner. The dog wasn't abandoned but just couldn't find the way back home.

So I took care of the animal until they took the dog to the owner.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:21:58 PM EDT
I hate that feeling. Like a pit in your chest.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:24:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gaspain:

Yup.

I've got four puppies and a momma that was seriously beaten that someone dumped in a field behind the house.

I couldn't say no to a family
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:31:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MachinegunManiac:
I've had this problem before but after I contacted the local SPCA, they found the owner. The dog wasn't abandoned but just couldn't find the way back home.

I think this is the way to go. Has worked for me and my friends in the past.
Some shelters are no-kill, or at least claim to be.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:36:37 PM EDT
Do you have the weekly "Thrifty Nickle" newspaper in your area?

Place an ad (somewhere) and make sure to mention that they were ABANDONED!

This usually brings lots of replies. Doesn't hurt to mention that they are cute and cuddly..

There is always someone who wants to Rescue an abandoned dog..............

Some folks ain't worth shooting.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:47:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By purplecheese:

Originally Posted By gaspain:

Yup.

I've got four puppies and a momma that was seriously beaten that someone dumped in a field behind the house.

I couldn't say no to a family

How I got the best dog I ever had. The rest came from shelters.

I only wish I could find the fuckers responsible for strays and kill them with a shovel. What kind of poor excuse for a human can do that shit?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:48:55 PM EDT
See if there is a no kill rescue organization in your area.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:49:33 PM EDT
Take care of em...they need you.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:58:24 PM EDT
took in a stray pitbull mix. in denver, .gov murders these dogs. considered moving since this dog is so cool, and i own my home. i already have 2. found a rescue/no kill org. and will foster until a home is found. hang in there, find them a home and you will be done with it, while feeling great about yourself. sounds like this will not be the last time this happens, so plan on helping those that deserve it appropriately. i am glad to know you even care.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:49:05 PM EDT
I try to avoid stray dogs at all costs. If they are friendly enough to come over to you whan they are scared and confused, they must have some other good traits.

Had one of the ugliest dogs I've ever seen make friends with my kids at the mall parking lot. Broke their hearts when I let somebody else take him home. Kind of like the dog on Married with children but longer legs and wirier hair.

Had a beagle come up the a few months ago. Great little dog. Got along with my bassetts. Glad I posted about it her daddy was in (and still is in) Iraq.

And since then one of my bassetts needed to be put down. So I will be a sucker for another dog for a while.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:55:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Max_Mike:
See if there is a no kill rescue organization in your area.

There are lots usually, but they are not always easy to get the dogs into.

Basically make up your mind on it and decide if you want to be responcible for them maybe for some time (no kill) or if you can pucker up and take 'em to the pound. I'd try a few things before I sent off to roll the dice. It's just hard for me to see dogs left like that. I get a lump in my throat each time we run into a stray.

Sucky choices
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:24:13 PM EDT
If you've got two 22LR shells, then your problem is solved.

Easiest way to take care of stray dogs.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:25:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Burley:

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:26:52 PM EDT
DRAW DOWN

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:28:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Nephilim:
Take care of em...they need you.

or...you [Charging_Handle] need them just as much
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:29:39 PM EDT

real good
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:59:53 PM EDT
I grew up put in the country sometimes someone would raccoon hunt at night a good distance away from our house. Alot of the time the dogs (beagles) would end up at our house the next day. My parents eventually figured out who the dogs belonged to and that made it easier. Maybe the dogs are just lost? Put the word out.

Plus people don't usually chain or fence their animals too well in rural areas. I've seen cows loose and a couple miles away from where they are supposed to be. I also saw a horse out walking on its own. That might not count because that turned out to be our horse that had jumped the fence. Its pretty wild to be driving and see a riderless horse run in front of you though. That horse's name was "Crazy Legs" , I was young but I swear that horse could jump a fence like nothing.

But we also did get some dogs that I think were dumped off. My mom is an animal nut so we pretty much took them all in if we couldn't find their home.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:09:38 PM EDT
I once ended up with 8 dogs that wandered up as strays, just couldn't turn them away
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:20:00 PM EDT
They aren't lost hunting dogs. That much I'm reasonably sure. First, they aren't full stock dogs. Second, none of them have collars or any identification. Anyone around here who has dogs they give two shits about have ID on them. So these are definately strays someone brought along and dumped out.

Both of them are still here attm. I am trying to see if the place where animals picked up by the county and taken to is a no-kill shelter or not. Once I find that out, I'll have a better idea of what to do.

It doesn't look like I'm gonna be able to keep them. The female is likely to have puppies and I just can't deal with that right now. So I'm gonna do my best to find them a place where they won't be put to sleep if there's any around here.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:18:11 PM EDT
What is so wrong with putting them to sleep (either via gas or gas propelled projectile)??
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:27:40 PM EDT
Good luck on it man
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:10:27 AM EDT
Got any Korean neighbors?

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:18:12 AM EDT

What is so wrong with putting them to sleep (either via gas or gas propelled projectile)??

Right there with ya. Take them to the shelter and if they put them down then it is off your chest. You gave them a chance.

That or just take them out back and be done with it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:21:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By swingset:
Got any Korean neighbors?

www.lifeinkorea.com/Images/Food/kimch428.jpg

Ah, kagogi.

Good eating there, but a tad on the expensive side.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:27:52 AM EDT
Charging_Handle

KY

Damn dude, if you don't have a big enough porch on the doublewide add another layer of cinderblocks to one of the cars in your yard and let them live under there.

You heartless bastard.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:32:23 AM EDT
About two years ago when I was living in a house with a front yard I heard someone come through the front gate one night just as I was getting into bed. My first thought was "who the hell is coming to my door this time of night?". I waited for a knock on the door but there wasn't one so my next thought was "who the hell is creeping around my house at this time of night? It better not be those kids again!" (I'd caught three teenagers trying to open several windows of the house about a year before that, in broad daylight. They didn't get inside, but I did offer them some highly colourful ideas about where they could go instead of trying to get through my windows).

Since I'm in Australia where home defence is considered to be a "bad thing" (don't blame me, I don't agree with that idea), I grabbed a handy impliment and went outside, to find several 5 - 6 week old kittens dumped on my front yard. I called the animal shelter the next day and had them picked up for free, but it pisses me right off when people just dump animals like that (the people who dumped the kittens could have called the shelter themselves).

I later found out that I didn't find all the kittens, one more had gotten through the side fence into the neighbour's garden and was half dead before they found it (they kept it).
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:38:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:56:06 PM EDT
My buddy saw a real nice golden wandering around in the cold in his yard so he opened the door to his truck and the dog jumped right in. Checked the addy on the collar and took him back home. Next day the dog is right back in his yard again. This time when he returned the dog the owner told him the dog was lonely and dejected since him and his wife had their baby.
The next day the dog is there waiting for my buddy to get home. The owner showed up with the dog's bowl and food. It is the smartest dog my buddy has ever owned.
Top Top