Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/1/2015 8:04:40 AM EDT
In before the folks who say they like 12 year olds.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:07:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd let them make me into a sandwich.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:10:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=78227
View Quote

The Glenmorangie is one of my favorites.  The finish has hints of fruit and honey.  It's not very peaty, but at the same time you know you're drinking scotch.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:11:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd knock the bottom out of em too.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:12:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Hope you enjoy wrapping your mouth around Glen.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:16:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Sump'in tells me they ain't gonna smell like fresh 18yr old poo-say...

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:17:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I've always preferred mine to be old enough to vote.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:19:39 AM EDT
[#7]
That taste worst than Sir Edwards
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I am one of the fortunate souls that prefers the Laph 10 to the spendier offerings they have.  I haven't tried them all, but I have had the 18 and the QC, the most frequently available ones around here.

However, if you need help with that, I can take one for the team and come help you polish it off.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am one of the fortunate souls that prefers the Laph 10 to the spendier offerings they have.  I haven't tried them all, but I have had the 18 and the QC, the most frequently available ones around here.

However, if you need help with that, I can take one for the team and come help you polish it off.  
View Quote

I have had the 10 year, the quarter cask and the triple wood. I liked them all. I liked the triple wood the most. I've never had the 18, but I found this bottle on sale for $57!!!! It normally is near $100 a bottle, so I had to get it. It was only $2 more than I paid for a bottle of 10 year. I don;t know if it was marked wrong or what. I found a liquor store that is a long drive away but has crazy good prices.  I paid $92 for the Glen 18 and it's normal price is $115.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:30:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Two really different styles.  Good for you.  People who 'only drink Iodine-bombs from Islay' are missing so many good whiskys.  And vice-versa, of course...
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:32:01 AM EDT
[#11]
The laphroaig was too peety for my taste, I thought it took too much away
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:35:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Two really different styles.  Good for you.  People who 'only drink Iodine-bombs from Islay' are missing so many good whiskys.  And vice-versa, of course...
View Quote

I view it the same way I view wine.  Do you only drink white or red? No. It depends.

Is it a cool evening and I just want to sit and sip something and relax. Glenmorangie or Glenlevit
Am I smoking a cigar or eating BBQ? Laphroaig

Different foods, activities and moods dictate as to weather I want a smoky peaty flavor, or something light and crisp. To just drink one type is, as you said, missing out.

To anyone who has tried a smokey scotch like Laphroig and hated it, try it with BBQ. Try it with a cigar. Also just try it again KNOWING what you are trying. If you are used to non-smoky scotch and don;t really know what you are trying, yeah, that will gross you out. If you know, prepare, and just try to experience it. You may like it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:14:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have had the 10 year, the quarter cask and the triple wood. I liked them all. I liked the triple wood the most. I've never had the 18, but I found this bottle on sale for $57!!!! It normally is near $100 a bottle, so I had to get it. It was only $2 more than I paid for a bottle of 10 year. I don;t know if it was marked wrong or what. I found a liquor store that is a long drive away but has crazy good prices.  I paid $92 for the Glen 18 and it's normal price is $115.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GO TO MARYLAND.  Huge markup on scotch in VA, damned ABC.

A bottle of Lagavulin 16 costs $90-100 here.  Maryland, you can get it on sale for around $50.

Thank you, /r/scotch, for clueing me in to the world of scotch pricing!  It's a great subreddit for learning about scotch.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

You actually stop tasting the iodine over time.  Once it isn't a new flavor, it just sort of dimishes.  The smoke and peat fade a bit as well.  It's a shame, to be honest.  I almost wish I enjoyed other types more so I could keep it mixed up, but...

I don't like the sweetness of bourbon or highland scotches.  It makes me gag.  I don't drink Islays for the iodine, or the peat, or the smoke (well...not entirely)...I drink them because they aren't sweet.

I do like to try different regional offerings, I just try to find ones that don't mention notes of honey, fruit, or anything like that.  There are certainly some expressions that seem to embrace the idea that sweetness sucks.  But outside of Islay, they are rare.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:31:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Honestly out of the majority of whiskeys I've tried the price jump of the 18 wasn't worth it to me as the 12 tasted just fine and in some cases better. Jameson would be a good example of a 12 tasting better than the 18 as would Glenlivet.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You actually stop tasting the iodine over time.  Once it isn't a new flavor, it just sort of dimishes.  The smoke and peat fade a bit as well.  It's a shame, to be honest.  I almost wish I enjoyed other types more so I could keep it mixed up, but...

I don't like the sweetness of bourbon or highland scotches.  It makes me gag.  I don't drink Islays for the iodine, or the peat, or the smoke (well...not entirely)...I drink them because they aren't sweet.

I do like to try different regional offerings, I just try to find ones that don't mention notes of honey, fruit, or anything like that.  There are certainly some expressions that seem to embrace the idea that sweetness sucks.  But outside of Islay, they are rare.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

At least you let your experience and taste guide you.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:39:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Delete me
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Insertion thread.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:41:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

And legal.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:42:11 AM EDT
[#20]
I get one bottle of the Laphroaig 18 every Christmas and I try to make it last the year.  You got a steal at that price.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

A bottle of Lagavulin 16 costs $90-100 here.  Maryland, you can get it on sale for around $50.

Thank you, /r/scotch, for clueing me in to the world of scotch pricing!  It's a great subreddit for learning about scotch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?
I did not buy these at a MD store and move them across state lines.
I would never do that! Nope. Never!
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:12:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Really?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

It isn't illegal if you did.  

The pricing is really odd...you won't save enough to cover the cost of gas for Laphroigh, but it's worth the cost for just 1 bottle of Lagavulin...I plan on going up for a case sometime before CWE.

Basically, check prices online and see if a drive up north will save you some coin.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:19:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Hope you enjoy wrapping your mouth around Glen.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Laphroaig tastes like swamp water.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:23:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crap...I live in VA at the moment. I am going to check out the Class 6 on post today or tomorrow though, as most of my alcohol supplies were drunk prior to the PCS.

The Balvenie Doublewood (12 year) is pretty good.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:24:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Beautiful.  Invite me over?  I'll bring a couple of nice bourbons.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:26:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Scotch....  
View Quote

The peaty taste isn't for everyone.  No one can tell you what to like.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#30]
I've got the 18 YO Laphroaig and it's damn good.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:37:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Crap...I live in VA at the moment. I am going to check out the Class 6 on post today or tomorrow though, as most of my alcohol supplies were drunk prior to the PCS.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Class 6 should be good-to-go.  Wouldn't hurt to spend a minute or two on Google to pricecheck, though.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:44:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

They're better when they're old enough to vote drink.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

http://img.thewhiskyexchange.com/900/macob.21yo.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.thewhiskyexchange.com/900/macob.21yo.jpg

Everything McAllen is so much more expensive, yet every review I read has them on par with everyone else. I think they are pandering to the idiocy of marketing and doing a good job on it. Lets see, do I want the rifle scope that is name brand and $500, or the one that is name brand and $700 but does the same thing? The $700 one must be better! I'll get that!
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:34:54 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

The Glenmorangie is one of my favorites.  The finish has hints of fruit and honey.  It's not very peaty, but at the same time you know you're drinking scotch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=78227

+1

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#35]
The 18 y/o Laph is like sex in your mouth.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:11:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It's sort of bullshit when the go to the point of writing "Extremely Rare" on the label.   That tells you that it probably isn't.

View Quote

I wouldn't say it's unfair.  I've only seen the 18 once, in a scotch bar, never in a liquor store.  Laphroigh doesn't get all fancy with their labeling, so a little reminder that it might be worth a second look is a good thing.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It's sort of bullshit when the go to the point of writing "Extremely Rare" on the label.   That tells you that it probably isn't.

View Quote

I do agree with that. Although I can't go into any liquor store and find it. It is only in larger ones that carry higher dollar scotches. Still. It is not like I could not find one if I wanted it right now. I just might have to call a few places.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:16:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:19:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

All over on the internet stores for $90-$110 in a quick google.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do agree with that. Although I can't go into any liquor store and find it. It is only in larger ones that carry higher dollar scotches. Still. It is not like I could not find one if I wanted it right now. I just might have to call a few places.

Everything is all over the Internet...Google knows, man, Google knows...20 years ago, though, the shit would have seemed mythical.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except most places don't ship spirits to VA.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:32:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That sucks.  Stupid Blue Laws.

I remember trying to find beer at quick shops there, then told only the state sold it and had to wait for a store to open.  

I'm spoiled by the drive through liquor stores here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except most places don't ship spirits to VA.

That sucks.  Stupid Blue Laws.

I remember trying to find beer at quick shops there, then told only the state sold it and had to wait for a store to open.  

I'm spoiled by the drive through liquor stores here.

Yeah. It is a new thing. I ordered spirits just 5 years ago. Then all of a sudden every site I tried said VA was a no go.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#44]
I'd tap that.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:52:44 PM EDT
[#45]
I'll take the red head, thank you.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:54:38 PM EDT
[#46]
You're gonna let me hit that, right
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#47]
You're a pervert
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:19:23 PM EDT
[#48]
I could tell by the Thread Title it was going to be a "BAIT & SWITCH", but I couldn't help myself . . .
Face Palm.

.      .           .       .
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:22:44 PM EDT
[#49]
2 of the best right there
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:22:50 PM EDT
[#50]
I really need to get into scotch.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top