Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2005 9:19:30 PM EDT
Posted on Sat, May. 21, 2005
Two men arrested after trying to board plane with guns, feds say
Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA - Two men identifying themselves as law enforcement officers tried to bring loaded handguns aboard a flight at Philadelphia International Airport, but were caught before making their way onto the plane, authorities said Friday.

However, the men contend they were licensed private detectives and were allowed to carry guns on the plane.

"We took an oath; we were sworn in the court, so we became full law enforcement officials," said Timothy R. Robinson, 47, of Philadelphia.

"We weren't carrying illegally; we weren't breaking any laws," said the other man, Steven A. Lundy, 41, of Roselle, N.J., adding that they would have placed the guns in checked luggage if they had been asked.

The men presented credentials to an American Airlines ticket agent around 6 p.m. Thursday, falsely identifying themselves as "private police" who were traveling armed, the FBI said.

Officials said the ticket agent gave them a form to fill out, on which they indicated they were law enforcement officers employed by a government agency. They moved on to a Transportation Security Administration checkpoint, where they again presented the credentials, which were then signed by a supervisor, according to TSA spokeswoman Ann Davis.

When the men got to the gate area, however, someone became suspicious and called Philadelphia police. Police detained the men until they were arrested by the FBI and the TSA.

Robinson and Lundy are accused of making false statements and trying to get onto an airplane with a concealed weapon, the FBI said.

They were held overnight and released on $10,000 unsecured bond Friday afternoon; they have another hearing scheduled for May 27.

www.timesleader.com/mld/timesleader/11700821.htm
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:21:08 PM EDT
[#1]
idiots
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:22:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Morons
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:25:36 PM EDT
[#3]
waiting for the full story.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:50:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Say bye bye to both your PI license and your CCW permit. Idiots.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:53:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:54:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:59:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Wait a second....no guns on planes anymore??

Next thing you know they will ban machetes and knives.

Next thing you know they'll ban fire on planes!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:02:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a member of the Freelance Police, I have a badge and everything.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:28:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I wonder if TSA has forms for armed private terrorists?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:40:44 PM EDT
[#10]
well they just proved you can probably BS your way onto a plane with a gun
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:57:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

What about sawed off chainsaws?
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:44:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:47:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And shoes.  No, they are pretty much there already.

Put down those sandals!   Freeze!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:51:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
However, the men contend they were licensed private detectives and were allowed to carry guns on the plane.

"We took an oath; we were sworn in the court, so we became full law enforcement officials," said Timothy R. Robinson, 47, of Philadelphia.

"We weren't carrying illegally; we weren't breaking any laws," said the other man, Steven A. Lundy, 41, of Roselle, N.J., adding that they would have placed the guns in checked luggage if they had been asked.

Not mentioned in the article, but I think I know the answer:

Did the men take the Federal course required of LEOs to be able tocarry on planes while in the performance of their duties? No? Then they couldn't carry on the plane. Period. LE status or not.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:59:21 AM EDT
[#15]
"I am a mall ninja.  I am a highly trained retail security professional."
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:01:00 AM EDT
[#16]
No sympathy here.  Sounds just plain dumb to me.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:13:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Next thing you know they'll ban fire on planes!

YOU CAN'T BRING FIRE ON A PLANE!!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:28:47 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
well they just proved you can probably BS your way onto a plane with a gun

Dead-On analysis. Right on the mark.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:34:55 AM EDT
[#19]
couple of dillusional, self important asshole mall ninjas.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:55:00 AM EDT
[#20]
 Well the EX chief of police in Detroit thought he could also. Except, the gun was not registered, he had no license and was not even allowed to carry concealed period. The feds put the dumb ass in his place also. Kwame can sure pick em.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:01:15 AM EDT
[#21]
What the fuck was the gate agent and the TSA supervisor thinking??????

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:10:21 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In the Delta terminal at LaGuardia Airport there is a display case of items you can't have in your carry-on bags. Inside the display case is a chainsaw.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:16:24 AM EDT
[#23]
The TSA should put the guns on ebay like they do with all the pocket knives they take.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:22:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not mentioned in the article, but I think I know the answer:

Did the men take the Federal course required of LEOs to be able tocarry on planes while in the performance of their duties? No? Then they couldn't carry on the plane. Period. LE status or not.

+1, no flying while armed course = no getting on plane. Never mind all the other things wrong here.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:24:34 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Officials said the ticket agent gave them a form to fill out, on which they indicated they were law enforcement officers employed by a government agency.

No matter what they might have thought going in, that's the clincher.  They deliberately lied on the form.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:31:46 AM EDT
[#26]

I CALL !

P.I.s are not Law Enforcement Officials! Yet another bunch of assclowns giving my profession a bad rep.
Real LEOs are allowed to carry on domestic flights, HOWEVER there is a whole bunch of crap to go through to do it. One is you must be on "Official" business. You must notify TAS WELL in advance, meet with them, have ALL the proper docs, ect, ect, ect, ................. Little Timmy needs a time out in the corner, OF A CELL!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:36:49 AM EDT
[#27]
New law on the way: airline passengers should be stripped naked and strapped to their seats with catheters inserted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top