Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2004 3:57:17 PM EDT
Woman, Teen Die After Inhaling Freon

Both Were Found In A Pool, Later Died At Hospitals

May 7, 2004 12:01 pm US/Pacific
LA PUENTE (CBS) A 20-year-old woman and a 16-year-old boy who were found in a La Puente swimming pool after allegedly inhaling Freon died later at separate hospitals.

Authorities Friday identified the woman as Pearl Grace Olmedo and the boy as Jared Ryan Correa, both of La Puente. The two were reportedly cousins, according to CBS 2 News.

Olmedo died at one hospital and Correa at another hospital, said Mario Sainz of the coroner's office. Autopsies were pending to determine the exact cause of death.

Detectives were sent to 14200 block of Moccasin Street about 4:30 p.m. Thursday, the sheriff's department reported.

Sheriff's Sgt. Richard Garcia told the Los Angeles Times that the two apparently had inhaled Freon from a canister to become intoxicated, and the effects led to their limbs becoming nonfunctional after they entered the pool.

Darwin rocks!
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had problems at work with morons inhailing the stuff. They aren't the brightest. They keep bending the access ports.  I figure its just a matter of time before I get a call that a darwin wantabee has gotten frozen stiff .
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Autopsies were pending to determine the exact cause of death.

Cause of Death: Excessive Stupidity
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#3]
LOL! Says it right here in my Chilton's: "When servicing your vehicle's air-conditioning system, be aware that dogs and cats are attracted to the coolant and will die, if they ingest it."
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
LOL! Says it right here in my Chilton's: "When servicing your vehicle's air-conditioning system, be aware that dogs and cats are attracted to the coolant and will die, if they ingest it."

Kar, I think they were referring to antifreeze in that particular case.

At any rate, stupidity is really sad, but the sadness stems the flow of future stupidity.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Or maybe it was anti-freeze. If I knew the maintenance manual by heart I wouldn't have needed one ;) So the red cherry-smelling stuff /doesn't/ go into the hole that says oil? I figured since it /was/ kinda oily...
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I knew someone who did that once.  They would go try to rip off central AC systems.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 4:51:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Or maybe it was anti-freeze. If I knew the maintenance manual by heart I wouldn't have needed one ;) So the red cherry-smelling stuff /doesn't/ go into the hole that says oil? I figured since it /was/ kinda oily...

Dang, Kar, I wasn't trying tomake a big deal out of it.

P.S.,
It's ok for folks to laugh at small mistakes. Yes, Kar, even you.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I knew someone who did that once.  They would go try to rip off central AC systems.

I can hear that plot being hatched now...

[mastermind]: Hey dude, I know how we can get high cheap. All we have to do is steal central air conditioners, and then suck out the freon!
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can hear that plot being hatched now...

[mastermind]: Hey dude, I know how we can get high cheap. All we have to do is steal central air conditioners, and then suck out the freon!

They just pulled them away from the house and ripped the pipe loose.  I expect it cost the people who own the houses alot of money to get everything fixed.  

I have also seen people try airdusters.  

Would have been funny if they sprayed a few founds on them selves by accident.

There were some people stealing central ACs to take copper out of them.  Surprising none of them died from busting open a 5+ton unit with an axe.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:03:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It's ok for folks to laugh at small mistakes. Yes, Kar, even you.

Eh? I'm making fun of myself all the time.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#11]
DARWIN WAS RIGHT!!!!
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:11:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:11:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Opps...They're not gonna make that mistake again...
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Darwinism cures stupidity!!!

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Freon does liver damage too. I guess they did'nt want to wait for the longer term effects.
I wonder why they did'nt just huff gold paint like the lamebrains on "Cops" do??
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:50:48 AM EDT
[#16]
you know it is ILLEGAL to KNOWINGLY vent  Refrigerant? 25,000.00 fine.

wonder if the EPA will fine the family? I heard that crap and thought to myself, "Man I do EVERYTHING in my power so I dont inhale that crap (Ozone saver bags, recovery machines..etc) and these morons INTENTIONALLY do it?

What the f**k is wrong with people?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:51:18 AM EDT
[#17]
some people just are not really bright
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top