Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/27/2009 11:44:06 AM EDT

Two Shots, Two Kills

by Greg Perry

I shot my first living creature recently. Two living creatures actually.

They were alive before my shots rang out, then they were down and gone. "Rang out" is a poetic way of saying my shots blasted deafeningly because I used my trusty AK-47.

I do not train with my guns for target practice fun. Those who shoot only the most accurate, hand-loaded match-grade ammo from their expensive bench rests have a lot of fun and I say, more power to them. That is not me. I do not buy guns for their historical roles or their collectible values. I buy only what we need for defense and for other reasons related to living out here. Let me tell you, we live way out here.

I trained in case I ever needed to shoot a living thing. I never wanted the day to arrive. Now that it is behind me you must trust me when I warn you that you do not want the day to come for you. It is not pretty and it is not satisfying.

I would hope that my column's readers would realize long before now I have no problem with hunting. I am all for it. I think it's great. I am sure it is fun. I just don't hunt. I never have. I have no desire to do so. Hunting is a skill every man should know and I realize that I may wish I had hunting skills some day. Life is full and we must choose where we put our time. Hunting is not where I put my time. Yet, I believe hunting can be satisfying and deserved prey can beautiful. (Tasty too.)

My shoot was not satisfying or beautiful. Yet the shooting was necessary.

Where We Live Plays a Part in the Story

By design, we live in the middle of nowhere. We moved here about a decade ago thanks to Gary North. Dr. North's writings cost us a fortune that we have never financially recovered from but for which we have no regrets whatsoever. We have only gratitude, especially now that times are so precarious. We love being where we are. We would not be here if Gary North had not been so encouraging a decade ago.

We have friends who are concerned about the economy. They fear possible breakdowns of services in the city where they live about 30 miles from us. They fear Katrina-like looting and so on if times get tough. Are they paranoid? No more than I am. They asked me recently that if things got bad could they come out to where we are. The problem is the timing. If they were to come here, when do they leave their home? Even if problems begin to occur in the city they still want to remain in their home with their lifetime of possessions and family memories of course. Yet if the worst happens, it will be too late and they will never make it out of town.

My true answer to when to leave the cities is now, not then. I practiced what I preach 10 years ago. Well, I practiced what Gary North preached 10 years ago. (I think Dr. North moved back to the city. We stayed. I hope neither he nor we regret our decision some day. I am fairly certain we will not regret being where we are.)

I have absolutely no knowledge or prediction as to whether society will ever break down. Frankly, it doesn't concern me too much. We live out here, peacefully, knowing neighbors for acres and acres around us in all directions far better than we ever knew our next-door neighbors in the city. I could barely spell tractor before we moved here – I am a recovering public school graduate after all – but now I ride one quite frequently. I would have laughed in your face if you said 10 years ago I would own a brush hog!

The Last Thing I Thought I Would Ever Harm is What I First Killed

The two live creatures I shot and killed were dogs. They looked like mutts. They were about the size of large beagles. These guys didn't look mean. I bet if I walked out to them instead of shooting them they would have been friendly.

Let me tell you about me and dogs. Since I was a tot I have been a "dog person." From the time I was 4, no more than a few months have ever passed that I have ever been without one or two dogs. I remember the day my parents brought my first puppy to me and I fondly recall all I have loved and lived with since. Two little white fluffy guys, Casper and Mozart, not only share Jayne's and my home, they share our bed too (much to our chagrin at times…).

When I meet new people, if they have a dog I almost always know their pet long before I get to know them very well. When a friendly pup jumps up on me, I love it.

You can imagine that I wish my first pair of kills were non-canine.

I Killed Because Killing Is Sometimes Necessary

I told you about where we live to set up the reason for my shooting the dogs. In rural areas dog owners let their dogs run freely. I have never understood this.

As a dog owner I would never let my dogs roam the neighborhood because I would not want anything to happen to them. I would not, for example, want Casper and Mozart to be hit by a car. I certainly would not want them taken down by some guy's AK-47.

As a neighbor I don't appreciate that others let their dogs roam the rural countryside. The most tame, docile dog can bite as any mailman will tell you. (Lady mailmen will tell you that too.) The big problem is when two or more dogs, roaming the rural countryside, join up. The pack mentality sets in far too quickly. When this occurs, synergistic energy develops somehow and the pack can become ferocious whereas individually the dogs would remain completely docile and civilized.

We have neighbors (ones who do not let their dogs roam free) who go out to get their eggs each morning and have often found a missing or partial chicken in a stray's mouth as he and his buddies run away jumping through the hole they dug under the chicken fence. My bride, Jayne, has been challenged in our own yard by German Shepherds that another neighbor lets out. Rabies is a problem with wild dogs given the critter population all around us.

A stray dog simply cannot be allowed to remain a stray. Not where we live. And there is no department in our town called Animal Control. Actually, there is no department in our town because the only government in our little township is a friendly Mayor who meets once a month with whomever wants to join him in the town's only government building, a one-room little building that has one door, no bathroom, and four walls.

I have met Animal Control and it is me.

Stray Dogs Cannot Stay

Recently, Jayne looked out the back window and saw these two dogs eating from our cat's food bowl. I have already given you my pet preference and it is Jayne's also. Given the choice between a dog and a cat, any felines close to us had better watch their backs as we'll choose dogs over them any day.

Having said that, there is one stupid cat who kept coming to our back door a few years ago. She would run from everybody but me. She did not know I have a sign above my reloading bench that reads, "Cats Fear My Name." She did not know I refused to own a cat in my entire life. She did not know how much I despised the fact that she kept being friendly to me.

Fast-forward 5 years. That cat now has a heated house outside. A heated water bowl for the winter. Store-bought food, purchased with my hard-earned money. (I thought they were supposed to eat mice!) And in general she still only lets me pet her. Stupid cat.

Jayne told me that two stray dogs were eating from my cat's bowl. That was a problem for them but it was not their biggest problem. Their biggest problem is their owners did not care enough about them to keep them from running loose. Their owners did not care that they team up with other roaming dogs out here and wreak havoc with chickens and neighbors. I would never shoot a dog for eating my cat's food. Cats have lower-priority!

Recently, we yelled to scare away some dogs that were in our yard only to discover the next morning that those dogs had killed more chickens of our neighbors. Those particular neighbors homeschool (all good neighbors do) and have extremely young kids in their huge family. A pack of dogs would never hesitate to attack a toddler when they team up out here in the middle of nowhere.

While it is true that the decision to live here has advantages and disadvantages, we can control some of the disadvantages some of the time. We decided with full neighbor support that as a group we would work to control the stray dog population. If a stray comes onto our property, the rule of thumb is kill and bury him. Sure, if a dog has a collar and tag and shows no aggression we will use discernment. Most of the time, discernment means shoot first and ask questions never.

So that is what I did. Plus, an embarrassed part of me deep inside may also have been slightly – just slightly – concerned they would get my cat. Stupid cat.

Aim, Fire, Dig, Regret, Move On

I ran to grab my AK-47. I also snatched my ear and eye protection, something I may not have spent time doing if the stray intruders were more dangerous predators, humans, but when there is time for eye protection especially you should always take that time.

I opened the back door and the dogs were gone and the cat's bowl was empty. (No cat in sight.) I quickly and quietly stepped to the edge of our porch and about 75 yards away the dogs were walking the side of our creek's edge.

I brought the AK buttstock to my cheek, set the front sight on the first dog, and pressed the trigger. Just as Gabe Suarez trained me to do.

The dog flipped in the air while at the same time a yelp rang out. I do not know if the yelp came from the dog I hit or from the second one frightened by the shot. The second took off running. I put the front sight on him and pressed the trigger. Just as Gabe Suarez trained me to do.

The second dog went down. Two shots, two hits. 75 yards away. The longest shot I had ever taken with my AK was about 25 yards. A 75-yard shot for a rifle is not a huge challenge. It was my longest however, in the heat of the moment, with my heart racing, with the dog on the run after the first shot. Only AR-15 owners who have never shot an AK will gripe that the AK is not accurate. It is accurate enough to do the job. That job is a man-sized target out to 300 yards if needed. Or a fast-moving dog-sized one at 75. And my AK doesn't malfunction – it always goes Bang when I press the trigger.

All this seemed to happen in the blink of an eye. I am sure I did not take a breath until that second dog went down. When I did take the breath, I lowered the rifle slightly and scanned for additional dogs just as I have been trained to scan for additional hostiles. Unfortunately, I heard yelping through my ear protection. One of the dogs had not died.

Two things then happened at the same time. I began running to the dogs as fast as I could and my heart began breaking for the yelper. I got about 20 feet away and put a head shot through each. The yelping stopped. My heart's breaking had not.

I compartmentalize quite a bit in life. I completely had sympathy for those dogs while killing them. It was a job I had to do. It was a job I would do again today. That doesn't make it any easier emotionally.

Our Lessons

If we still lived in the city we would still find strays in our yards once in a while. In the city, if ferocious ones appear, as happened to me about 15 years ago as I was walking to my car at the end of my own driveway, we do not have the freedom to handle the situation ourselves as I had to do with the two I shot. When seconds count, Animal Control is just hours away to paraphrase one of my favorite lines. Making the decision to move here a decade ago brought with it responsibilities such as the responsibility to shoot a stray or two when one invades our space. We owe it to ourselves and our neighbors to do just that.

Robert A. Heinlein once wrote, "When the need arises – and it does – you must be able to shoot your own dog. Don't farm it out – that doesn't make it nicer, it makes it worse."

I have no doubt that shooting a stray dog is far easier than shooting one of my own. I hope to never find out but the reality is I may someday have to find out. Life brings challenges, most of which we do not want. If a stray dog ever attacks one of my dogs, my wife, or, yes, even that stupid cat, I have no doubt that I will feel no regrets about that kill. The same could be said for any living creature who attacks one of us. Colonel Jeff Cooper wrote a lot about post-traumatic stress and how it was a luxury of the late 20th century. He said that until the feel-good 1960s brought in the generation of don't-worry-be-happy, it's-you-not-me victim mentality, that in general neither soldiers nor law enforcement ever felt trauma after killing a hostile who was trying to kill him.

In spite of my having absolute certainty the only thing I will feel after shooting an attacker is recoil, I must warn you that you may feel some stress after making a kill that you were not forced under duress to make. Still, some shots must be taken.

I walked back and put the AK-47 away. I was grateful that I was taught to shoot well and that I own what I consider to be a most wonderful weapon, only one of three good things to come out of the ComBloc last century (the other two were also wonderful weapons against evil, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn and Ayn Rand). I grabbed a shovel and did the second-half of the job, burying the two. Digging the graves and dumping them in was harder than shooting, both physically of course but also emotionally. The blood was redder and in a far greater quantity than I would have imagined.

I have no deep lessons for you here, just my story. I do want you fellow gun owners out there to know that nothing prepares you for what I had to do. The next time I do it, the job will be just as difficult.

I am thrilled though that I am still free to do the job that must be done. Are you free enough to do what needs to be done where you live? If not, you have two options: move or acquiesce. Moving is harder and means you may have to handle a task you don't want to do. But at least you will be allowed to do it.

March 26, 2009

Greg Perry [send him mail] is the pistol-packing author of more than 75 books. He loves to combine his favorite hobby – guns – with his second favorite – online auctions – by teaching others how to buy and sell firearms, knives, and ammo in online auctions legally and easily! eBay may not respect your freedoms but the free market does. You can comfortably buy and sell weapons-related items in a simpler-than-eBay environment by getting his profit-boosting book, Guns Galore! How to Buy and Sell Guns, Knives, and Ammo in Online Auctions Easily Without eBay!

Copyright © 2009 by LewRockwell.com. Permission to reprint in whole or in part is gladly granted, provided full credit is given.

Greg Perry Archives

http://www.lewrockwell.com/perry/perry48.html
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:45:16 AM EDT
[#1]
In!
This will be good.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#2]
What a psycho.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#3]
WTF!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I hate it when jack ass's feel they need to write a novel for every mundane episode in their life. That could be summed up in just a few words: "I shot two dogs"

Big fuckin deal
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#5]
That title should read Four Shots, Two Kills.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:54:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I hate it when jack ass's feel they need to write a novel for every mundane episode in their life. That could be summed up in just a few words: "I shot two dogs"

Big fuckin deal
No shit, killing stray dogs isn't that big of a deal when you live in a rural area.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Cliffs notes.     "So hey, I shot 2 fuckin dogs.  Hated to.  Had to.   The fucking end."

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#8]
"Aim, Fire, Dig, Regret, Move On"  must be what happens when a hippy finally comes to grips with reality.

Shoot Shovel and Shut up is so much cleaner.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:06:31 PM EDT
[#9]
LOL In on this one.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:08:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I hate it when jack ass's feel they need to write a novel for every mundane episode in their life. That could be summed up in just a few words: "I shot two dogs"l

Yes, sometimes writers write too much, that was a far cry from E. Hemingway.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Wordy.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:12:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Summary:
"I shot 2 dogs with 4 shots. Lied about it in my diary. Published it. Claimed an AK is more accurate than an AR out to 300 yards.  My vag still hurts."
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Big fuckin deal
No shit, killing stray dogs isn't that big of a deal when you live in a rural area.

+1!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:17:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Arent you supposed to put the dog on a spike so other dogs will know not to go there?  
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:19:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Big fuckin deal

+1
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:20:22 PM EDT
[#16]
First thing he has ever shot and it was two dogs? WTF? another wannabe cop?

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:23:30 PM EDT
[#17]
He put on his eye and ear pro!  
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow, what a tool....
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Cliffs notes.     "So hey, I shot 2 fuckin dogs.  Hated to.  Had to.   The fucking end."

QFT. The novel should be called 4 shots 2 kills btw...
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

thanks for summarizing that for me because there was no fucking way i was going to read that shit.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Big fuckin deal

Yeah...no kidding. That's what I was thinking all the way through the article.

This sums up the whole article:

1. I fell for the Y2K world-is-coming-to-an-end BS
2. So I moved to a very desolate area
3. I killed two stray dogs at 75 yards w/ my AK
4. My heart is broken that I killed the dogs
5. I have sand in my mangina
6. My words of wisdom must be spread

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I consider MY dogs family.

you shoot one of my family, things will not end well for your family.

you will feel my pain.
end of story.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:38:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

you will feel my pain.
end of story.

And you will feel even more pain when you are imprisoned, as will your family.

The law won't care about your emotions.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:39:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

you will feel my pain.
end of story.

ok, fine by me.

family is family, I don't put limits on my fidelity.

also I would give my life to protect your family if they were in danger as well.

I just have a different view of life and justice.

it's only worth what your willing to put into it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:41:16 PM EDT
[#25]
The premise of his whole boring text is that he is "free enough" to do what he had to do.  That's BS.  He just lives far enough out that nobody saw, heard or cared.  If law enforcement were involved, it's probably no more legal where he is than in the city.

A long, boring exercise in rationalization so he feels better about killing two dogs that were never really a threat.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

you will feel my pain.

end of story.

Keep your family off my property tough guy.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Big fuckin deal

fuck I gave up skim reading it when I got to the part where he shot the dogs, what the hell were  all those other words
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you will feel my pain.
end of story.

ok, fine by me.

If you are willing to deny your family of your presence, and physically harm other people over a dog, I feel sorry for both you and them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:43:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Summary:

"I shot 2 dogs with 4 shots. Lied about it in my diary. Published it. Claimed an AK is more accurate than an AR out to 300 yards.  My vag still hurts."

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:44:42 PM EDT
[#30]
What a fucking pussy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

you will feel my pain.
end of story.

this. guaranfuckinteed.
my dogs dont run loose though. and if i did allow my dogs free run and one of my neighbors had a problem with it i would expect a discussion about it first.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

you will feel my pain.
end of story.

Keep your family off my property tough guy.

no problem, just as I would not want my children wandering all over your property I will take care of my own. shoot a child, or shoot a dog, it's all family to me.

I'm not saying I would commit murder,(I wouldn't) but the offender will feel more than regret.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Plenty of holes get filled here for less,we try to tell them to stay in the city where you belong.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
He put on his eye and ear pro!  

I'll bet he actually suited up with a vest, knee pads, shooter gloves, and put the bayo on the rifle.  He more than likely also bladed 45 while approaching the dead dogs.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#35]

Only AR-15 owners who have never shot an AK will gripe that the AK is
not accurate. It is accurate enough to do the job. That job is a
man-sized target out to 300 yards if needed. Or a fast-moving dog-sized
one at 75. And my AK doesn't malfunction – it always goes Bang when I
press the trigger.

Idiot.

Article flowed and made some sense till this particular line.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#36]
You guys are brutal!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:56:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

you will feel my pain.
end of story.

Keep your dogs on your property and you won't have a problem.  Seems simple enough.  Easier than beating your chest and threatening the family of anyone who shoots that which you can't properly control.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Did not read the whole story got bored, but were these dog regular visitors? If not why kill them maybe they got out on accidet. It happens.

In on one
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:04:58 PM EDT
[#39]
That 5 minutes of reading (thats how long it took til I quit anyway) is 5 minutes (plus the time to write this) I will never have back.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:06:34 PM EDT
[#40]
IN!

Did the dogs have collars?  If they did, then you are a fucking retard!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Gee, all these years of shooting deer-running dogs on the deer lease and I never thought of writing an article about it.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#42]
And what if your dogs were wandering on someone else's property, with no collars or tags on?

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you will feel my pain.
end of story.

ok, fine by me.

also I would give my life to protect your family if they were in danger as well.

I just have a different view of life and justice.

it's only worth what your willing to put into it.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:16:36 PM EDT
[#43]
I LIKED THE STORY.

Deal with it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#44]
After reading that story, I am so unsurprised at who the moron trained with.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Good God, what a waste of the english language.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:41:09 PM EDT
[#46]
really most every pet owner needs to check there State laws! All States (some counties) have laws pertaing to pets chasing wildlife and livestock. There quite easy to read. When fluffy the cat or Spike the dog get taken out, the owners just have that stupid look on their face. Some States also give you a fine or demand restitution after your pet has destroyed livestock, even after they've been snuffed!

I had a mut 12 years because I could'nt do a farmer who's property I'd hunted a favour one day and snuff him (older puppy then)! Let's just say he liked chicken

Farmers who raise livestock or Lease $$$$ property to hunters have alot different view of fluffy and spike than their owners do when fluffy and spike get into their pocket book.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:42:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

you will feel my pain.
end of story.

Then don't ever ever ever let them wander unleashed and unattended......my kids ARE my family and I will shoot dogs that wander onto
the property with no owner around....Don't like it?   TOUGH!

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#48]
You really never shot a grackle or something before with a BB gun?  What the fuck?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You really never shot a grackle or something before with a BB gun?  What the fuck?

lol
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

I shot a pigeon once on a power line once.  It fell off and bled to death.

Smashed a baby sparrow with a brick to spare it, though I regret listening to my friend at the time who convinced me that it was better that way.  If it had been, he would've done it.  He knew more about that than I did at the time.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top